need help with very odd jukebox

Old November 23rd 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bob in Phx

Default need help with very odd jukebox

keith, I am guessing your correct on all counts....

The Juke is a buddy of mine's. I am going to suggest that he gut it and set
it up for use as a Mame type jukebox. I think I could sort out the buttons
(ribbon type cable coming from the switch pad membrane). ive done some jamma
and pinball and juke things in the past (thats why he brought it to me!!)

Im going to try and send some off board video to the monitor today... if
that goes well, Ill bet he will want to convert it...

thanks for the help
bob in phx
"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
. ..
Is this a personal project that you are trying to restore? My opinion is
that you will have only two options if you want to get this thing going.
Option one is to run an add in local Amityville papers looking for ANY
information about the company. I've done that before with some success.
Sometimes you will actually get a call from someone saying "my dad use to
work at that place and has a big box of old manuals and parts for those
dumb things". Then again you might not get anything. You could also list
an auction on Ebay for one cent offering pictures of the juke (so it's to
Ebay), but really asking if anyone has any info or parts for one. A LOT of
people search Ebay day!

The other option would be to convert it to a different system using video
files on a PC. The hardest part there would be interfacing the controls
with the PC. I've done it on some simple Jamma systems where you put a PC
with a zillion games into an old Pacman cabinet but I don't know how
complex it would be to wire the controls of your juke. If you were going
to do it that way you could use a program like WinCab jukebox and
customize the controls or use a touchscreen monitor to run it. There's a
99.9% chance that even if you DO find original components they will be
shot, and the 80's technology parts needed to fix them won't be available.
And if I'm right about them being Laserdisc players instead of VCR's you
are screwed anyway because you won't be able to get the discs with the
music and videos.

Other than those options I would dumpster it or put an HDTV in the cabinet
and make it a conversation piece for your rec room.

"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
any thing at all would help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob in phx
"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
. ..
I think that I remember seeing some of those at an operators place in
South Bend, Indiana back in the late 80's. I wanna say that they had RCA
laser disc players in them and not VCR's, but I could be wrong. The place
is out of business now or I could have checked it out. I might be able to
find the guy's name and home number and give him a call, but don't hold
your breath.

"Phil" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 11:37 am, "Bob in Phx" wrote:
More info...

there is also a
pal decoder board and the amp (solid state) was made in England. So, I
am
guessing that it was some sort of import that used a pal vcr deck.....

Bob in phx.
"Ken In Texas" wrote in

Dang John...what juke have you not saw I know ive never saw or
heard
of anything like that one

Id like to see that think work

John Robertson wrote:
Post some pictures of the logic board - I might have seen this
before,
but am not certain.

John :-#)#

Bob in Phx wrote:

sorry, forgot the JPG extension...

please try these!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance.

http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke1.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke2.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke3.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke4.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke5.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke6.JPG
"Bob in Phx" wrote in message

ill fix it !!!!!!

bob
"Ken In Texas" wrote in message

me either

Speshul When Lit wrote:

none of these pics work for me

"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
news
I friend of mine has delivered to me, a "video & Sound"
jukebox made
in Amity NY. This thing is over 6 foot tall, contains a 25
inch rca
Television, coin door and a computer.

first off does anyone have any idea where I could find any
information about the company, or the system.

The jukebox is missing the playback VCR's and the speakers.
From the
plugs in the rear of the box, it appears that the VCR's used
some
sort of 25 pin control system, like I have never seen before.

I'll be posting pics asap

he
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke1
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke2
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/juke3

thanks in advance for any information

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com
Custom Pinball Cards, Jukeboxes, Drive In's

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."- Hide quoted text -

Nope... Not made in England.... Made in Amityville Long Island, NY
(the place where the "house" attacked those people)... The factory for
this thing was right down off of Sunrise Highway (Rt 27) and Route
110....

Old November 24th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
news

I friend of mine has delivered to me, a "video & Sound" jukebox made
in Amity NY. This thing is over 6 foot tall, contains a 25 inch rca
Television, coin door and a computer.

first off does anyone have any idea where I could find any
information about the company, or the system.

The jukebox is missing the playback VCR's and the speakers. From the
[...]

VCR based video jukeboxes were typically sold in Australia from about
1984/5 on (usually by scam or get-rich-quick merchants on exhorbitant
lease schemes direct to bar owners, costing the operator a site in the
process). They were in a crappy looking black or blue craftwood box
and ran from a commodore64 computer. At the time Australian
manufactured Rowe MM 2,3,4 machines were mostly used in commercial
operation.

The last time I saw one sold to a site would have been 1992 in a city
called Maryborough (that incidentally is famous for being the incest
capital of QLD) to a now defunct hotel, and by that stage the makers
had changed the layout of the song titles from the 45rpm title strip
format that yours has to one that grouped the songs into lists of 10
or so in windows about the size of a CD cover (to attempt to keep up
with the times as CD jukes were coming on the scene about then).

They typically used a single "national" (now panasonic) brand VCR that
was a special professional unit and a lot narrower in width than a
standard home VCR of the time. (It possibly didnt have a tuner). Due
to the Single VCR, it could take a significant time to wind and rewind
between selections, especially if they are at the other end of the
tape to each other !
-------------
in 1988-89 I did obtain a more "up-market" model that had come from
the USA, that's system looks more like yours, (cabinet wasnt anything
like it). This version had 2 of these VCR's in it - and 2 copies of
the same VHS tape were used, the second VCR would cue up the next
selection ready to play, so there was no delay between songs. It had
the same plugs as you show there, but the board was different. I never
got it operational, and it ended up on the local rubbish tip in 1992.
It didnt have any VCRs in it, but everything else was there.

I may have external pics of this unit still, if you want I will try
and find and scan them for you.

As I remember, the VHS tapes were specially encoded, and required a
stereo (read - expensive) VCR to operate. One channel held the mono
audio, and the other channel had "control tones". There would be a
burst of them (possibly a similar standard to the cassette tape
interfaces used on the early consumer computers in the early 1980's)
at the beginning of the tape for about 10 seconds, then a sharp "pip"
noise every few minutes as you played the tape. I assume that the
machine kept the tape threaded against the audio head and did a
"search" at high speed, while monitoring the head for these tones, in
order to "tell" the system where the tape position was so it could
find the wanted song.

The layout of the tape was typically 12 songs in order with about a 10
sec break between them, then advertising, then another 12 songs etc.
etc
The system was PAL (Australian BG format) and the tapes would play on
any regular VCR

( i still have a box of the tapes, the music on them is typical 1985-6
era)

These systems were very unreliable long term, and the tapes (in the
1980's) were on some ripoff subsrciption service at about $150 AU per
month. Few sites woud earn that much at the time.

I would not advise trying to restore one to original operation. It
would make much more sense to install a PC and juke software and run
it that way. I dont know how you would go about making the tapes for
it, even if you did get it to work.

Your system's innards certianly dont look American, for one that power
board is a UK mains socket unit, and that power transformer looks more
like our Eur/Australian locally made models than anything I have ever
seen in a US made machine. Finally the wire colours are blue/brown
and that is a UK/Australian standard. The brown is the Active and the
blue is the neutral.

It also looks like a typical pommy cabinet design, the USA made stuff
was more advanced in style and appearance, and as far as I know, still
is. I would suggest it was imported and had a US distributor's name
put on it, or they had their own cabinet art made for it.

The music on your machine is interesting too, it has the Australian
songs "sleeping beauty" and "pleasure and pain" (fortunately not their
later song "i touch myself") both by the local group
"divinyls" (christina amphlett) as well as "Working class man" by
jimmy barnes (lead singer of "cold chisel"). I wasnt aware these
songs were ever popular - or even released outside australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Amphlett
-------
I do have a manual for another unit "molly's video jukebox" (named
after the 1974-89 "count-down" TV music show host molly meldrum) but
its little use, mostly contining information on how to market the
machine to a site.

I dont know how this machine worked inside, as I never saw the guts of
one, but it did sound good

Old November 24th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Nov 24, 12:08 am, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
[...]

I think you will find they were VCRs, but I could be wrong on this. I
agree 1000% on your comments on parts being near impossible to find,
and the chance of them actually working, is that much again, even if
you do find them. Stuff like this was a nighmare even when it was
current, and the music situation even more so. Even if they are VHS,
how would you encode and make the tapes ? it would be hours or days
of work, even if you had the clips already on your PC

Even if some total nut-job wanted to pay $10,000+ to have this thing
working and original as a collectable or something, I would think
twice about it as it would repeatedly come back to bite you on the
arse in future repairs, even if you did get it working.
..

"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
news

I friend of mine has delivered to me, a "video & Sound" jukebox
made
in Amity NY. This thing is over 6 foot tall, contains a 25 inch
rca
Television, coin door and a computer.

first off does anyone have any idea where I could find any
information about the company, or the system.

The jukebox is missing the playback VCR's and the speakers.
From the

Jukebox Dukes Juke Boxes 4 July 12th 06 12:48 AM
WTB-WTT Jukebox SE.Pa-Md.-Nj Speshul When Lit Juke Boxes 0 June 9th 06 08:37 PM
Is this a Good Jukebox? Crosley Full Size Jukebox CR-12-10 [email protected] Juke Boxes 1 May 31st 06 11:18 AM
FS:AMI jukebox Chadsgames Juke Boxes 0 September 28th 04 12:08 AM
AMI MM1 JUKEBOX EM PINBALL Juke Boxes 1 May 21st 04 12:18 PM