People are stupid

Old August 22nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default People are stupid

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:49:11 -0700, "Bob G."
wrote:

I think that calling the person who called the seller stupid is stupid.

Who would have guessed it? DeMayo is trying to pull another thread
into the gutter. He's an unethical trolling dullard who seeks to
disrupt threads. Again and again and again.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old August 22nd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:53:37 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Reality" changes all the time. For kicks, I recently put my well-used
composite softball bat that suffered a 2" crack across the sweetspot up
for
auction on eBay. Started it at .99 with photos including a blowup of the
cracked area. It sold for $53 plus $12.00 shipping. Beats tossing it in
the trash can.

I suspect you didn't describe this softball bat as being pristine.
That's the issue -- hype, misrepresentation.

Au contraire, I described it fully as to what it was and how much use it had
seen. My clear photos showed how worn the bat was and the enlargement
focused on the crack itself. There was no misrepresentation at all. No
hype, either. Someone, or several people, apparently thought they could
somehow repair the crack and still get use out of the bat, which even if
used with no cracks would sell on eBay for $400-500. The main reason I
thought to try to sell it was because several years earlier I sold a similar
bat that was literally cracked in half with the two pieces held together by
an inch or so of material.

No hype or misrepresentation needed. People will buy most anything.

Bruce

Old August 22nd 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:35:14 -0400, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

Consumer Reports on
its inside back cover has a department titled "Selling It" in which it
reports examples of companies in general doing just this, using hype
and other misrepresentation in ads and on packaging in selling
products and services.

The greatest hype-job going today are the ads for the erectile
disfunction products that warn that if the user has an erection that
last for four hours or more that they should see a doctor.

The first-known negative side-effect that makes the product more
attractive than a product without a negative side-effect.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old August 22nd 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:48:39 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

Au contraire, I described it fully as to what it was and how much use it had
seen.

No "au contraire." I said that I suspected you didn't use hype or
misrepresentation in selling this bat. And I said that this was the
issue -- sellers doing this. This is what the seller of this 1804 half
cent did -- hype. It doesn't matter that he apparently is just using
the same boilerplate text for all of his coins. It's still hype and
representation when applied to the auction for this particular coin.
And describing a horribly beat-up coin as "NICE" and all the rest is
so far removed from reality that it's stupid. Doesn't matter either,
or much anyway, that he provided a photo. The description, even
subjective as it is, doesn't accurately represent what's being sold.

Old August 22nd 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

Consumer Reports on
its inside back cover has a department titled "Selling It" in which it
reports examples of companies in general doing just this, using hype
and other misrepresentation in ads and on packaging in selling
products and services.

The greatest hype-job going today are the ads for the erectile
disfunction products that warn that if the user has an erection that
last for four hours or more that they should see a doctor.

The first-known negative side-effect that makes the product more
attractive than a product without a negative side-effect.

.....man saw one of those ads warning that if user of product should
experience erection lasting more than four hours, he should call the
following number. Out of curiousity, man called that number. Wife's cell
phone. Bada BING!

Old August 22nd 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
numist

wrote:

Consumer Reports on
its inside back cover has a department titled "Selling It" in which it
reports examples of companies in general doing just this, using hype
and other misrepresentation in ads and on packaging in selling
products and services.

The greatest hype-job going today are the ads for the erectile
disfunction products that warn that if the user has an erection that
last for four hours or more that they should see a doctor.

The first-known negative side-effect that makes the product more
attractive than a product without a negative side-effect.

....man saw one of those ads warning that if user of product should
experience erection lasting more than four hours, he should call the
following number. Out of curiousity, man called that number. Wife's cell
phone. Bada BING!- Hide quoted text -

"Tell your doctor if your experience an erection lasting more than 4
hours.."
If I have an erection lasting 4 or more hours I'm tellin EVERYBODY!

Old August 22nd 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

wrote:

Consumer Reports on
its inside back cover has a department titled "Selling It" in which it
reports examples of companies in general doing just this, using hype
and other misrepresentation in ads and on packaging in selling
products and services.

The greatest hype-job going today are the ads for the erectile
disfunction products that warn that if the user has an erection that
last for four hours or more that they should see a doctor.

The first-known negative side-effect that makes the product more
attractive than a product without a negative side-effect.

Or, as somebody I know said--"That's not a side effect--that's a
reason to take a day off work!"

take care,
Scott

Old August 22nd 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:22:20 GMT, Jon Purkey
wrote:

The seller just used the same text on all the descriptions. Go to
their store and search for Draped Bust Half Cent (there are currently
5) All have the same description with the only difference being the
year.

I've noticed a lot of sellers seem to do the same thing, using the
same template description for every auction.

All coins of the same type are the same. So why not be more efficient
by using the same description for all of them. Makes sense to me.

Sometimes being 'realistic' helps.

A local pub used to advertise 'Warm beer. Bad food' and the place was very popular.
Mind you, I never felt attracted enough to go!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :