Dad is sending more of his collection to me..

Old January 19th 04, 01:43 AM
Sam F.

Default Dad is sending more of his collection to me..

Sounds like he is sending everything.. not sure what that means, but he did
say he is sending the 1916-D dime he got 15 years ago.. he thinks its not
authentic..
its too nice.. lol.. thats what he said..
He has never had it authenticated, but says he sees nothing that looks bad,
its just
a nice MS..
I have never seen it, he never brought it out before, but I knew he had it..
I just never
asked to see it..
Well, we will see.. I am not expecting it to be real.

--
Sam F.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/uncle_sam/

Old January 19th 04, 07:14 PM
Coin Saver

From: "Sam F."

he is sending the 1916-D dime he got 15 years ago ... has never had it

authenticated

First thing I'd do.

8-]

Coin Saver
Old January 20th 04, 03:51 AM
Chris S

"Sam F." wrote:
Sounds like he is sending everything.. not sure what that means, but he

did
say he is sending the 1916-D dime he got 15 years ago.. he thinks its not
authentic.. its too nice.. lol.. thats what he said..
He has never had it authenticated, but says he sees nothing that looks

bad,
its just a nice MS..

Can you post a close-up scan (maybe maybe 600 dpi for the coin, and 2400 dpi
for the mintmark) to either alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic or a web site?
If nothing else, you'll get some good feedback; if you're lucky, a subject
matter expert will comment.

You may have already heard, but 15 years ago was a lousy time to buy rare
coins--there was a market bubble.

--Chris

Old January 20th 04, 04:50 PM
Sam F.

"Chris S" chris(at)imt.xohost.com wrote...
"Sam F." wrote:
[...]

I just got them.. nearly a full set of walking libertys, all circulated, but
many duplicates.. some nice certified 30's Lincolns, and
a few certified Merc's.. I have no idea where my microscope is, but will do
the best I can on the dime.
It looks like it would grade about AU50 or so. Should have some pics up by
the end of the day..

Old January 20th 04, 11:04 PM
Keith Fletcher

To see if it is authentic, I'd recommend using a hammer and chisel. Place
the chisel directly on the coin and give it three sharp whacks. If the D
comes right off in one piece, and the coin is merely scratched and defaced
by the chisel, then it was a fake. But if the D is shaved off in a metal
shaving, leaving a shiny deep pit where it used to be, then the D was real.

Always trying to be helpful ...

--K

Old January 20th 04, 11:26 PM
Sam F.

"Keith Fletcher" wrote in message
To see if it is authentic, I'd recommend using a hammer and chisel. Place
the chisel directly on the coin and give it three sharp whacks. If the D
comes right off in one piece, and the coin is merely scratched and defaced
by the chisel, then it was a fake. But if the D is shaved off in a metal
shaving, leaving a shiny deep pit where it used to be, then the D was

real.

Always trying to be helpful ...

--K

I am not really interested in messing the coin up!!

(so what kinda hammer should I use??)
;o)