The joys of numismatic research

Old March 21st 04, 09:09 PM
note.boy

A while ago £12 Scots = £1 English. Billy

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

Ankaaz wrote:

Alan wrote:

"I have been doing some research and have discovered that England and Scotland,
even though they are two different nations, are found on the same island and
often have the same ruler! Bibles are found in both countries, also."

Cool!

How about an article on this fascinating subject?

Anka ---- g

It gets better! Apparently, though this is a gray area, both Scotland
and England have used coins in commerce! I'm going to check into this
thoroughly and then proclaim myself an authority.

Alan
'this post is copyrighted'

Old March 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On 20 Mar 2004 12:34:36 -0800, (William Chevyler)
wrote:

Me, too! Numismatic research lets us enjoy historical events that we
did not live to see. I have been reading lots of colorful books about
famous wars in American history and I also happened to buy a
circulated coin like this unc.
http://www.coinfacts.com/silver_doll...n_dollars/1898
s_morgan_silver_dollar.htm

Thanks for posting this. If more people posted messages like yours
rather than the junk posts that deliberately attempts to disrupt
conversations, this newsgroup and Usenet as a whole wouldn't have the
reputation it has. I shared a research find of mine, asked others if
they had any they'd like to share, and got a handful of constructive
posts like yours. The rest were sarcasm and other nonsense -- scores
of messages like this! Boggles the mind, really. Who even reads all
this junk, let alone taking the time to write it? It's the same
handful of people virtually every time too.

I don't personally share your interest in Morgan dollars, but I can
understand well how you'd be interested in them, this one coin in
particular, and the history surrounding it. One of the really cool
things about numismatics and collecting in general is how subjective
it is. To each his own really does apply.

I like to dig deep into coins I add to my own collection, finding as
much as I can about them, not trivia but substantive information about
the people and historical events connected to the coin. Just like you
did. g. I find it adds to the glom, to the pleasure of looking at
what I have.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Bruce Remick

"note.boy" wrote in message
Do you sport a mullett? :-) Billy

I don't particularly care for fish, as sport or garment.

Bruce

Old March 22nd 04, 06:30 AM
A.Gent

http://mendosus.com/****i.html
...that deliberately attempts to disrupt
conversations, this newsgroup and Usenet as a whole wouldn't have the
reputation it has. I shared a research find of mine, asked others if
they had any they'd like to share, and got a handful of constructive
posts like yours. The rest were sarcasm and other nonsense -- scores
of messages like this! Boggles the mind, really. Who even reads all
this junk, let alone taking the time to write it? It's the same
handful of people virtually every time too.

presses the "send" button

sits and ponders

looks at self in mirror

"I wonder why so many people on the 'net pick on me..."

sigghhhhh

"Oh well. Must go and flame the nasties again..."

http://mendosus.com/clueless.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

You post bile - you get flamed.
You post sensible - you get left alone.

Look at the evidence, you clueless prat. You only get flamed when you post offensive
posts.

Sow - Reap
Dogma - Karma

Don't post bile
--
Jeff
Whacko (and proud of it)

Old March 23rd 04, 02:18 AM
Anka Z

Reid wrote:

"Thanks for posting this. If more people posted messages like yours
rather than the junk posts that deliberately attempts to disrupt
conversations, this newsgroup and Usenet as a whole wouldn't have the
reputation it has. I shared a research find of mine, asked others if
they had any they'd like to share, and got a handful of constructive
posts like yours. The rest were sarcasm and other nonsense...."

Zooooooooooooom!

Anka ---- and I thought -I- was gullible
Old March 23rd 04, 03:41 AM
Phil DeMayo

Reid Goldsborough responds to "William Chevyler":

Thanks for posting this. If more people posted messages like yours
rather than the junk posts........snip

You are still soooooooo clueless Goldsborough.

Let me help you out.

William as in Bill

Chevy....Ford....Chevy-ler.....Ford-ler

Get it?

I guess you missed the post where the person who used this pseudonym owned up
to it. But then again, you seem to miss a lot, or pretend you don't see it.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 23rd 04, 04:07 AM
Stujoe

On 23 Mar 2004 03:41:04 GMT, Phil DeMayo wrote:

Reid Goldsborough responds to "William Chevyler":

Thanks for posting this. If more people posted messages like yours
rather than the junk posts........snip

You are still soooooooo clueless Goldsborough.

Let me help you out.

William as in Bill

Chevy....Ford....Chevy-ler.....Ford-ler

OMG! I don't think I saw the original post but I did skim Reid's reply
(including the obligatory, opening paragraph) and I didn't notice the
name! Kinda makes the statement "If more people posted messages like
yours..." rather ironic, eh, considering who has posted messages like that
before.

--
Stujoe
http://www.coinpeople.com
Old March 23rd 04, 04:39 AM
Phil DeMayo

Stujoe wrote:

OMG! I don't think I saw the original post but I did skim Reid's reply
(including the obligatory, opening paragraph) and I didn't notice the
name! Kinda makes the statement "If more people posted messages like
yours..." rather ironic, eh, considering who has posted messages like that
before.

What makes the RG character appear even more clueless (if that's possible) is
that the "Chevyler" post was a total "goof" on his original post.

RG: "This coin, part of a large emission of the same variety, was in all
likelihood minted to build up the Hellenic navy in preparation for the
anticipated Persian invasion, which would take place in 480 BC and which would
determine the subsequent course of Western history."

WC: "This coin, part of a large emission of the same variety, was in all
likelihood minted to build up the American navy in preparation for the
anticipated Spanish War of 1898. This war determined the history of the United
States and Spain."

etc.

Old March 23rd 04, 05:26 AM
Phil DeMayo

Scot Kamins wrote:

Guess I'M an idiot! :-D

Nah....you weren't the one who thanked him for the post. We all know who the
idiot is. ;-)