Roll find-modern

Old June 21st 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

Default Roll find-modern

As part of my hobby I search rolls of uncirculated coins when I receive them
from the bank. Right now, I have five rolls of 2008-D nickels and 10 rolls
of 2008-D cents to search. In the past I have received from the bank
uncirculated Kennedy half rolls but I have not seen any of those for quite a
few years. I search Denver mint state quarters and Denver mint presidential
dollars.

Primarily I search the rolls for coins with exceptional eye appeal, high
luster and minimal bag marks. Secondarily I am on the lookout for anything
peculiar about a coin; off center, cuds, etc. In years of searching, I have
never found an "error" variey of any kind (not counting common machine
doubling).

I don't particularly enjoy the search and am many times glad when the roll I
am searching is full of very baggy coins. It is an easy fast task when I
can reject coins with a quick glance on the obverse side. If a coin looks
pretty good with the first glance I have to study it a little more and maybe
put a loupe to it. If the coin does not then go into the reject pile, it is
flipped to check the reverse. I think more coins get rejected because of
the reverse side than the obverse side. Over all I tend to keep 1-3 coins
per roll of 40-50 coins. Sometimes zero coins are saved from a roll.
Sometimes more than three.

More than three coins saved is unusual. I searched a roll of Monroe
presidential dollars about ten days ago. I saved nine of twenty-five. I
have attempted several times over the past week to capture the coin in an
image and have not been 100% happy with any result. Here is the best image
I could come up with (this coin is the worst of the lot of nine with regard
to bagmarks but has great eye appeal);

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...ins/monroe.JPG

My manager took the top, obverse image, holding the coin in her hand under
fluorescent lighting with the camera set for incandescent. I took the
bottom, reverse image under incandescent lighting, using a device to hold
the camera and a timer. Either way, we could not capture the correct color
of yellow-brassy. Each image has been very orange. Still, I think the
obverse image my manager took does convey the quality of the coin. The four
most prominent hits (over the eyebrow, between eyebrow and cheekbone,
cheekbone, upper jaw) are not particularly distracting to the naked eye.
The cheekbone hit is the easiest to spot. The reverse of this coin is as
nice as the obverse but my image makes the coin look very scruffy. Less bag
marks on the reverse than are on the obverse.

I think of roll searches the same way I think of long car rides. I always
want to be where I am going and seldom enjoy the trip. I like it when I
find/have nice coins. I just don't like the actual, tedious search.

Bill

Old June 21st 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

I don't care for looking through new coins, I prefer to go through
circulated stuff, that is where the goodies are. BTW my son got a 1910
Lincoln in change sometime early this week, I found one in a roll search
last year. Somehow getting a nearly 100 year old coin in change is more
exciting than finding it in a roll that was probably put together from
Coinstar.

Old June 21st 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"scottishmoney" wrote in message
news
I don't care for looking through new coins, I prefer to go through
circulated stuff, that is where the goodies are. BTW my son got a 1910
Lincoln in change sometime early this week, I found one in a roll search
last year. Somehow getting a nearly 100 year old coin in change is more
exciting than finding it in a roll that was probably put together from
Coinstar.

Truly an exciting and rare find! It's somewhat sobering though to realize
that, while it is unlikely you'd ever find more than one or two of these
again in a lifetime, you could still buy a circ roll of 50 of them for about
ten bucks.

Old June 21st 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

"scottishmoney" wrote in message
news
I don't care for looking through new coins, I prefer to go through
circulated stuff, that is where the goodies are. BTW my son got a
1910 Lincoln in change sometime early this week, I found one in a
roll search last year. Somehow getting a nearly 100 year old coin
in change is more exciting than finding it in a roll that was
probably put together from Coinstar.

It is too bad old but well circulated Lincolns as well as other old
coins have little or no value. Over the past year, I have put 45
rolls of Lincolns back into circulation. Most were dated in the
teens, twenties, and thirties. Of course, there were no key dates.
I turned in one roll a week by spending Lincolns any place I could,
but never more than ten in any one business.

I wonder how many of them have been found by excited youngsters just
starting on the hobby. I'll never know, but I can hope.

Bob-tx

Old June 21st 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

I pulled a '45 and a '48 out of the register last night. It was neat to me.
mk
(Hamilton TX)

Old June 21st 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Truly an exciting and rare find! It's somewhat sobering though to
realize that, while it is unlikely you'd ever find more than one or two of
these again in a lifetime, you could still buy a circ roll of 50 of them
for about ten bucks.

I can go and buy rolls of Indians too, but I would really really like to
find one in change sometime. I have gotten exactly 2 buffalo nickels, most
recently in the fall of 2006 from change. Crazily the obsolete coin you are
most likely to encounter by percentage of coins check will be Franklin
halves.

Old June 23rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 21, 4:16 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

I like your thinking, Bob.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Interesting roll find [email protected] Coins 9 December 20th 07 11:08 PM
Roll Find JP Coins 1 February 24th 06 04:34 AM
Roll find.. Tom Coins 3 November 17th 05 02:27 PM
Lincoln Roll Find Alan Williams Coins 9 August 14th 05 06:50 PM
Roll find Alan & Erin Williams Coins 0 February 7th 04 05:35 PM