look at this BS. Dollar coin

Old October 15th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default look at this BS. Dollar coin

"Bob" wrote in message
I received the following crappy email this morning.
Of course I replied about the edge lettering, but I feel
they already knew this. I don't know why some people
want to try to cause a problem where there is none.
Bob-tx

U.S. Government to Release New Dollar Coins

(pic of coin - removed)

You guessed it

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

IS GONE !!!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation.

Please send to all on you r mail list!!!

It's just another spam email from a cowardly, anonymous political hack. I
get about 100 of them a day. A lot of them are forwarded to me from my
friends, who are sometimes unaware of a payload hidden at the very end.
Into the dumpster they go. If you've been here a while, you know that
similar drive-by spammers occasionally favor this newsgroup with their
enlightened views. Welcome to the internet!

James

Old October 15th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Seriously, if you spent as much energy toward worthwhile causes like
helping the needy it wouldn't make you look ridiculous. Who cares if
they take it off of the coin.

Old October 15th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Oct 15, 7:51?am, "Bob" wrote:
I received the following crappy email this morning.
Of course I replied about the edge lettering, but I feel
they already knew this. I don't know why some people
want to try to cause a problem where there is none.
Bob-tx

U.S. Government to Release New Dollar Coins

(pic of coin - removed)

You guessed it

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

IS GONE !!!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation.

Please send to all on you r mail list!!!

I got the same e-mail. Someone my mother knows started that rant and
e-mailed it to her (and about 30 others) who, in turn, e-mailed it to
me (and about 20 others). I pulled up an article from one of the
websites we all visit (can't remember which) and sent it out to all
50. I also wrote a personal e-mail back to the original writer
chastizing him for passing rumors and to investigate his claims before
he runs off half-cocked.

In it I stated that the IGWT, E Pluribus Unum, and the date/mint mark
are incused on the edge, not struck on the obverse/reverse like most
U.S. coins. I also stated that if there was no lettering on the edge,
they may have an error coin that could be worth a premium if
authentic.

Of course, nobody replied back to thank me for setting the record
straight or to curse me out for ruining their fantasy.

Jerry

Old October 15th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 15, 7:51?am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

And you won't, because this sort of thing originates with cowardly hacks who
remain anonymous and who rely on your friends and my friends to propagate
it. Then, being the trusting souls that we are, we end up being led
unsuspecting to the payload. I get over 100 of these a day, all with the
same political/religious point of view. When I respond to the friends who
forward them and tell them how I feel about it, they tell me I'm no fun
anymore, etc. They're probably right. And pretty dumb to boot.

James

Old October 15th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:36:51 -0700, Jerry Dennis
wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:51?am, "Bob" wrote:
I received the following crappy email this morning.
Of course I replied about the edge lettering, but I feel
they already knew this. I don't know why some people
want to try to cause a problem where there is none.
Bob-tx

U.S. Government to Release New Dollar Coins

(pic of coin - removed)

You guessed it

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

IS GONE !!!

If ever there was a reason to boycott something, THIS IS IT!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEW DOLLAR COINS AS CHANGE

Together we can force them out of circulation.

Please send to all on you r mail list!!!

I got the same e-mail. Someone my mother knows started that rant and
e-mailed it to her (and about 30 others) who, in turn, e-mailed it to
me (and about 20 others).

While I don't happen to be a religious person, if I did believe in God
I wouldn't need "In God We Trust" to be on a coin to keep my faith
intact.

I believe in gravity, that the sun (appears to) rise in the east, and
that night follows day. No coin reinforces these laws of nature by
statement, but they continue to be in force.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old October 15th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"tony cooper" wrote in message

While I don't happen to be a religious person, if I did believe in God
I wouldn't need "In God We Trust" to be on a coin to keep my faith
intact.

I believe in gravity, that the sun (appears to) rise in the east, and
that night follows day. No coin reinforces these laws of nature by
statement, but they continue to be in force.

If I had my way we would dump God and presidents off the coins, and replace
them with what really matters, women and liberty.

Old October 15th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

On Oct 15, 7:51?am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

And all the people (well, at least Old Man Jaggers) said "Amen!"

James

Old October 15th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ukraina Dvi" wrote in message

"tony cooper" wrote in message

While I don't happen to be a religious person, if I did believe in God
I wouldn't need "In God We Trust" to be on a coin to keep my faith
intact.

I believe in gravity, that the sun (appears to) rise in the east, and
that night follows day. No coin reinforces these laws of nature by
statement, but they continue to be in force.

If I had my way we would dump God and presidents off the coins, and
replace them with what really matters, women and liberty.

Oof! Now that I can agree with one hunnert percent!

James

Old October 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Oct 15, 1:47?pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
When I respond to the friends who
forward them and tell them how I feel about it, they tell me I'm no fun
anymore, etc. They're probably right. And pretty dumb to boot.

James- Hide quoted text -

Don't feel bad, James. I still like you. :-)

Jerry