RCC Limerick Coin Contest Voting Thread

Old July 6th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

Default RCC Limerick Coin Contest Voting Thread

The time has come for voting for you favorite limerick. The winner is the
person who gets the most votes from other RCC members. The bonus winner has
been picked by me but will not be revealed until the vote winner is picked.

To review:

1) You may not vote for yourself
2) It is sufficient to state the poster's name but if you want to assign
your vote to a particular limerick please do.
3) One vote per person and please, no sock puppets.

In that case of a tie the winner will be decided by (what else) a coin flip.

If participation in voting is low and we have a multiple way tie I will set
up a mini tournament with each winner winning by coin flip.

Listed in alphabetical order of the poster's handle:

Amistad
---
A fellow named Bruce once reflected, (9)
About how his speech was inflected. (9)
"No need for an ah, (5)
When pahkin the cah, (5)
So long as the thought stays connected!" (9)

Anka
---
There once were some RCC folk (8)
Who used language foul when they spoke. (8)
They must have forgot' (5)
That punishment wrought (5)
For potty mouths: Lifebouy - no joke! (8)

There once was a man from Nantucket (9)
Who bought Thailand's coins by the bucket. (9)
The satangs and the bahts (6)
He would buy in big lots (6)
Mail order from Bangkok and Phuket. (9)

Aram H.Haroutunian
---
Some fellas in RCC Land (8)
Showed off with their limericks and, (8)
With deftness and skill, (5)
Their words fit the bill. (5)
Let's give them a rip roaring hand! (8)

Bruce Remick
---
While young I would laugh when I fahted, (9)
I can't really say when this stahted; (9)
this RCC thread, (5)
I wonder and dread (5)
just how much my focus depahted (9)

Edwin Johnston
---
There lived a young girl named Penny (8)
Who collected coins a-plenty (8)
They covered the halls (5)
Along all the walls (5)
The ceiling didn't have any (8)

Their pastime was coin collecting (8)
Endless hours spent in detecting (8)
the slightest friction (5)
of the condition (5)
the objects they were protecting (8)

Ed Hendricks
---
A regular on R.C.C. (8)
A contestant wanted to be (8)
He made up a rhyme (5)
But hadn't the time (5)
To polish it up to a T. (8)

There once was a numismatist (8)
Who thought he was a hypnotist (8)
He cast a fine spell (5)
But still couldn't sell (5)
A good opportunity missed. (8)

jclark109
---
A last minute entry right here (9)
With a chance in hell, do I fear (9)
I'll talk about cents (5)
The RCC gents (5)
And toast this contest with a beer! (9)

I love the coins that are older (9)
With images that are bolder (9)
Mint marks don't matter (5)
Cache getting fatter (5)
In 2 by 2's in my folder (9)

Numismatics, Hobby of Kings! (9)
Each new purchase, Happiness brings (9)
Bank account is nil (5)
Which makes you quite ill ... (5)
Coin is gone when auction bell rings! (9)

JLR
---
Coin questions and doubts bog my mind (8)
As answers I don't seldom find (8)
Avoiding tough lessons (6)
Becomes an obsession (6)
Glad the wise out here are so kind (8)

kathy1945
---
There was a young lady named Tess (8)
Who pouted to many's distress. (8)
That face on a dollar (6)
Could make a man holler! (6)
But world war it could not suppress. (8)

Mr. Jaggers
---
Five grand for a Morgan he traded, (9)
A 93-S it was dated. (9)
He sent it for slabbing, (6)
And now he is blabbing (6)
About what it's worth market graded. (9)

numist
---
One day when I thought I had time, (8)
I looked through a pile for a dime. (8)
In mountains of nickels (6)
more common than pickles, (6)
I ended my search with a trime! (8)

Oly
---
The collector's heirs found Pobjoy Mint (9)
and mourn where Daddy's hobby funds went; (9)
Manx, Falklands, Gibral- (5)
Dad once bought it all- (5)
His will probates at just one red cent! (9)

Padraic Brown
---
Two cops nabbed a man on route three (8)
who said he had got LSD (8)
from an RCC swap (6)
not a pharmacy shop (6)
yer Honour I said £sd! (8)

Now there once was a man found a trime (9)
at a boot sale he bought a half dime (9)
I'll clean em said he, (5)
said we, RCC, (5)
now to clean away grime is a crime! (9)

Now a coin dealer of much esteem (9)
went to sell a coin, twas a half disme (9)
he asked fifty grand, (5)
got twice in his hand, (5)
of the crop that disme sure was the cream! (9)

Xnt023 comcast.net
---
There lives a fine dealer named Stein (8)
Who sells coins I wish were all mine (8)
And though they're so nice (5)
I looked at the price (5)
Decided to settle for "Fine" (8)

Old July 6th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

Apologies to Amistad. I missed one corrected entry.

A coin guy named Larry once sought, (8)
To organize coins that he bought. (8)
So to Dansco he went, (6)
Finding he had soon spent, (6)
Remarkably more than first thought! (8)

Please let me know if I missed anything else.

Old July 6th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

PC wrote:
The time has come for voting for you favorite limerick. The winner is the
person who gets the most votes from other RCC members. The bonus winner has
been picked by me but will not be revealed until the vote winner is picked.

To review:

1) You may not vote for yourself
2) It is sufficient to state the poster's name but if you want to assign
your vote to a particular limerick please do.
3) One vote per person and please, no sock puppets.

snip

I go with Ed Hendricks.
Old July 6th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 6, 4:30 pm, "PC" wrote:
Apologies to Amistad. I missed one corrected entry.

A coin guy named Larry once sought, (8)
To organize coins that he bought. (8)
So to Dansco he went, (6)
Finding he had soon spent, (6)
Remarkably more than first thought! (8)

Please let me know if I missed anything else.

Anka #2 (Nantucket-Phuket) is my favorite.

oly

Old July 6th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

I salute them all, since I was not able to come up with one, but my vote
goes to JClark for mentioning beer along with the rcc group.

John

--
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert

Old July 6th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jclark109

Edwin Johnston's Girl Named Penny

Simple, but it flowed nicely

C2

Old July 6th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

PC wrote:
[...]

My vote is for AMISTAD!

--
©¿©¬
~

Old July 7th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jul 6, 4:26�pm, "PC" wrote:
[...]

My vote goes to:

Xnt023 comcast.net
---
There lives a fine dealer named Stein (8)
Who sells coins I wish were all mine (8)
And though they're so nice (5)
I looked at the price (5)
Decided to settle for "Fine" (8)

~Anka

Old July 7th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jul 6, 5:26�pm, "PC" wrote:
[...]

I vote for Padraic Brown's entries (all three of them).

I'm glad all we have to vote for is the author. If I had to choose a
specific limerick, I've have to abstain (all of them were good).

Jerry