Found In Change - Now What?

Old June 28th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

Default Found In Change - Now What?

I was handed this coin
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/mercury.jpg
in change yesterday.

I wonder where it has been for the past 63 years? And, why it has
all-of-a-sudden appeared back in circulation?

Did some kid swipe it from Grampa's collection? Was someone so broke
they started rooting through drawers unsearched in years for loose
change? Was some jar of "What do I do with this coin?" raided?

Now what do I do with it? I don't collect silver. It's not good
enough to put up for auction. Do I stick it in my drawer to found
later when someone's searching for loose change?

It's not really odd enough that I can do what some RCCers do and try
to spend it at McDonald's to see if the counter-teen rejects it as
"That ain't a real coin, dude". It's not enough to use to tip a
waitress and bring joy to her because she's never seen one before.

It's not unique enough to use to start a contest in RCC although
"Liberty" and "Mercury" could be used in limerick lines.

I don't know how to handle this responsibility. I'd give it back if I
knew who gave it to me in change.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old June 28th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

"tony cooper" wrote in message
[...]

A quick little contest.
mk

Old June 28th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

My wife works in a school, and they have book sales etc from time to time,
it is amazing what comes through. In the past she has gotten Mercs in
payment, but she ask if the coin is theirs etc. Often times someone gave it
to them as a curio or momento and they just spend it instead of keeping it.
If you don't know or care it means nothing. I got an undated Buffalo nickel
in change last year, the first in 8-9 years. It is worn out enough that I
have even thought of spending it as a curiousity.

Old June 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

tony cooper wrote:
[...]

Do you have any grandchildren, or perhaps young nieces or nephews who you
could give it to in hopes that it might spark and interest in collecting?

If not, maybe a youngster in the neighborhood would like it as a novelty
"trick or treat" item at Halloween.

Another idea might be to donate it to a local youth group.....ie. Boy/Girl
Scouts to use in their merit badge program, etc.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old June 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

[...]

I have a Bank of Scotland £1 note dated 1969 that was spent in 1990 and
given to me by the shop keeper.

This design of £1 note would have been out of circulation for about 18 years
by then. Billy

Old June 29th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

Tony,

You could send it to me with all stamps I'm going to be buying from your
auctions. Then I can stick it in a professionally graded slab with an MS-63
grade and then put it up for auction for $15 on eBay.

Bob

Old June 29th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:36:51 -0700, "Robert Dibbell"
wrote:

Tony,

You could send it to me with all stamps I'm going to be buying from your
auctions. Then I can stick it in a professionally graded slab with an MS-63
grade and then put it up for auction for $15 on eBay.

If you're the winning bidder on the revenues I have up now, I'll
include the dime in the deal.

There are four ads running for U.S. revenue stamps, with no bids, 99
cent opening, and $1.00 (combined) shipping. You can't lose.

Bid now and drive up the prices.

.. .

Old June 29th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

"tony cooper" wrote in message
I was handed this coin
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/mercury.jpg
in change yesterday.

I wonder where it has been for the past 63 years? And, why it
has
all-of-a-sudden appeared back in circulation?

snip

Now what do I do with it? I don't collect silver. It's not good
enough to put up for auction. Do I stick it in my drawer to found
later when someone's searching for loose change?

It's not really odd enough that I can do what some RCCers do and
try
to spend it at McDonald's to see if the counter-teen rejects it as
"That ain't a real coin, dude". It's not enough to use to tip a
waitress and bring joy to her because she's never seen one before.

It's not unique enough to use to start a contest in RCC although
"Liberty" and "Mercury" could be used in limerick lines.

I don't know how to handle this responsibility. I'd give it back
if I
knew who gave it to me in change.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

It's fun to find something like this and speculate on it even though
there is no great value to. I had a bunch, about $5, in buffalo
nickels with poor dates and gave them to my wife to spend. I
recently turned in nine rolls of Lincolns with all dates in the
teens and twenties. None would have graded much above good and
there were no keys.

I like to think about how long it will take for these to be found
and collected.

Bob-tx

Found in Change Jorg Lueke Coins 1 May 16th 06 10:55 PM
Found in change! Bruce H (BoxTurtle) Coins 4 August 5th 05 03:53 AM
Found in change phil Coins 3 June 29th 04 03:53 PM
Found In Change Keith Fletcher Coins 1 December 1st 03 11:54 AM
found in change 11/18/03 butch 1 Coins 3 November 19th 03 08:15 PM