Mottoes on US coins

Old December 28th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

Default Mottoes on US coins

I think we should bring back some of the mottoes used on early US
coins, because they can still inspire us.

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

--
Stefano
Old December 28th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

Stefano MacGregor wrote:

I think we should bring back some of the mottoes used on early US
coins, because they can still inspire us.

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

--
Stefano

How about LIBERTY?

I guess some jesus freaks think trusting in a myth born of ignorance in
more important than Liberty.

JAM
Old December 28th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Stefano MacGregor" wrote in message
I think we should bring back some of the mottoes used on early US
coins, because they can still inspire us.

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

You no doubt know, but I'll iterate it here for those who do not, that "mind
your business" in that era meant to pay attention to your commercial
enterprises so that they would prosper. It did not imply keeping your nose
out of other peoples' business, although if you did attend vigorously enough
to your own affairs, then as now, you wouldn't have time to poke it into the
other guy's business.

James

Old December 28th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

On Dec 28, 3:20*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

You no doubt know, but I'll iterate it here for those who do
not, that "mind your business" in that era meant to pay attention
to your commercial enterprises so that they would prosper. *It
did not imply keeping your nose out of other peoples' business,
although if you did attend vigorously enough to your own affairs,
then as now, you wouldn't have time to poke it into the other
guy's business.

And of course, if you mind your business and prosper, you get to pay
more taxes. I'd gladly pay more taxes if it meant having more income
upon which to pay those taxes.

--
Stefano
http://www.steve-and-pattie.com/esperantujo/about.html
Old December 28th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Stefano MacGregor" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 3:20 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

You no doubt know, but I'll iterate it here for those who do
not, that "mind your business" in that era meant to pay attention
to your commercial enterprises so that they would prosper. It
did not imply keeping your nose out of other peoples' business,
although if you did attend vigorously enough to your own affairs,
then as now, you wouldn't have time to poke it into the other
guy's business.

And of course, if you mind your business and prosper, you get to pay
more taxes. I'd gladly pay more taxes if it meant having more income
upon which to pay those taxes.

"I say, Jasper, what number comes after 75?"

"76"

"That's the spirit!"

James
'we could all use some of that about now'

Old December 29th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Dec 28, 5:20*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"Stefano MacGregor" wrote in message

I think we should bring back some of the mottoes used on early US
coins, because they can still inspire us.

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

You no doubt know, but I'll iterate it here for those who do not, that "mind
your business" in that era meant to pay attention to your commercial
enterprises so that they would prosper. *It did not imply keeping your nose
out of other peoples' business, although if you did attend vigorously enough
to your own affairs, then as now, you wouldn't have time to poke it into the
other guy's business.

I think "Mind your business" had the same general "don't be a
buttinski" meaning then as it does now.
Your mileage may vary...
Old December 29th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

--
Stefano

How about LIBERTY?

I guess some jesus freaks think trusting in a myth born of ignorance in
more important than Liberty.

JAM

How about "Money can't buy happiness". :-)

You are correct. However, money can rent it.

Bruce (Let's face it, we're stuck with IGWT)

Lets not.

Giving up it the face of this demagoguery is not the American way.

JAM
Old December 29th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 03:01:55 GMT, Bill Dukenfield
is alleged to have written:
"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

I would especially like to see "MIND YOUR BUSINESS".

--
Stefano

How about LIBERTY?

I guess some jesus freaks think trusting in a myth born of ignorance in
more important than Liberty.

JAM

How about "Money can't buy happiness". :-)

You are correct. However, money can rent it.

Bruce (Let's face it, we're stuck with IGWT)

Lets not.

Giving up it the face of this demagoguery is not the American way.

JAM

I just have higher priorities than starting and fighting a religious
war over a motto. It's as good a motto as any.

I don't want to fight a religious war, that is why it should not be
there.

It violates the First Amendment of the secular US Constitution.

JAM
Old December 29th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

"Bill Dukenfield" wrote in message
"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 03:01:55 GMT, Bill Dukenfield
is alleged to have written:
"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

Snip

It violates the First Amendment of the secular US Constitution.

JAM

Out of curiosity, How does it violate the first amendment?
Bob-tx