HUGE college dorm LP/8-track score !!

Old August 10th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Paris Gun

Default HUGE college dorm LP/8-track score !!

I just bought out a huge lot of LP's and 8-tracks from an Ohio college
dorm- this guy went to college there and also worked there part time as
maintenance- obviously during the late 1980's-early 1990's 8-tracks and
vinyl were still alive and well on college campus nationwide- he said
the college lobby had a large am/fm/phono/8-track recorder console, and
the kids would hang out there and play 8's and vinyl all day and night-
I'd wager new CD's at $15-25 a piece were not within most college
students' budget at the time

some time in the 1990's the 8-fad started to die out, as CD's and DVD-A
and MP3 became more affordable- he said all the vinyl and 8's were
locked away in a storage room on campus. He ended up getting them all
for free. The large console stereo, which he believed may have been a
tube amped unit, was scrapped !! bummer !!

he also became a collector himself, and had many 8 decks/recorders. In
the last year I rec'd 6 decks, all his good LP's, and all his 8's as
well. I rec'd approx. 300 tapes and 50 LP's earlier this year. I sold
off all the decks except one, which is a very rare unit with both
external head adjustment knob and large AC motor- a real find ! Rarely
do you see those 2 options on the same player of this quality, except
for the Electrophonic decks which have a hum problem.

yesterday he just sent me 195 tapes and 135 LP's- the guy is moving and
had to clear out his house- so 3 large boxes showed up USPS media mail

some real keepers in this lot- lots of Zappa, some Ramones, Clash, Lou
Reed/VU, one of those robot tapes, and one real oddity

a sealed Captain Kangaroo tape !

There's also a benefit concert tape with live Who, Pretenders, etc.
from 1981, and a Eric Clapton/Yardbirds live tape that is somewhat rare
too- amazing what the heartland has to offer in 8-tracks, I can only
imagine what their thrifts out there would yield

Old August 10th 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
bicycle

Paris Gun wrote:
I just bought out a huge lot of LP's and 8-tracks from an Ohio college

Sure you did, just like your claim my Ebay account was banned.

Post my account name then so all can share in my demise.

Old August 10th 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
bicycle

Old August 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

I found a few tapes at a flea market in Chetopa. The old lady told me.
We all know that 8-tracks aren't worth anything." How true!. I live in
the "heartland" and tapes are still cheap here. Less than a dollar. And
that's the way it shoud be. 8's have no value. If you think they do,
you're just hurting yourself and paying more money than should be. Can
you send me some scans of some of your stuff?
bicycle wrote:
bicycle wrote:
Paris Gun wrote:
I just bought out a huge lot of LP's and 8-tracks from an Ohio college

Sure you did, just like your claim my Ebay account was banned.

Post my account name then so all can share in my demise.

What's the matter Charlie, can't back up your story? Figures.

Old August 11th 06, 12:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

The Rutles' "Archaeology" didn't come out until 1997-ish, "I'm Too
Sexy" was 1991-1992, Lenny Kravitz didn't make a big hit in the US
until 1993 or so (same with the Pogues and Blur and Lords Of Acid).
All circa-mid-1990s home-made tapes, not 70s.

WTT: These Cards - Update 8/6/04 James T. Murdock Jr. Hockey 0 August 6th 04 11:12 AM
OVER 10,000 CARDS 66% to 75% OFF PART I Rose Hockey 0 December 6th 03 12:51 PM
CHRISTMAS SALE II! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 November 30th 03 02:03 PM
90/91 Score singles L8TR Hockey 0 November 28th 03 06:48 AM
90/91 Score Canadian Dogger Hockey 0 November 15th 03 07:23 AM