Help on one from Chile

Old May 16th 05, 12:32 PM
Jack

Default Help on one from Chile

Hello again.

A Telegraphos from Chile that I can't find a number for:

http://cjoint.com/data/fqnIHomaMO.htm

It seems to fit the description in Scotts - Chile - A13, without the
overprint.

Scotts gave a number to similar stamps in other countries - Portugal,
Cuba for example, but I can't find anything in the Chile listings.

Thanks!

Jack

Old May 16th 05, 02:01 PM
TC

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:32:15 GMT, Jack wrote:

Hello again.

A Telegraphos from Chile that I can't find a number for:

http://cjoint.com/data/fqnIHomaMO.htm

It seems to fit the description in Scotts - Chile - A13, without the
overprint.

Scotts gave a number to similar stamps in other countries - Portugal,
Cuba for example, but I can't find anything in the Chile listings.

Thanks!

Jack

Hello Jack:

This is a telegraph stamp (basically a type of Revenue stamp
for a fee paid on telegrams) . It was not valid for postage,
so Scott will not list it.

Here is an article from Linn's in 2003 about telegraph stamps:
http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...shercourse.asp

In some countries, such stamps were also valid for postage of
letters. In such cases, Scott WILL list them. They are
sometimes known as postal-fiscals.

An interesting summary of the history of the telegraph in
Chile (first in South America) can be found on page 3 of
the following document:
http://www.ieee.org/organizations/hi...Fernandini.pdf

In 1904, some Chilean telegraph stamps were OVERPRINTED
"correos", across the top, and used for postage. If you
look at Chile Scott #59, you will see your telegraph stamp,
but with the postal overprint. The catalogue value of #59
is 0.25 mint 0.20 used.

There is also a specialized catalogue for Chile, called
the Heise colour catalogue. The last edition that I know
of is 2002/3 (price £25.00), but I do not know if it
covers revenue and telegraph stamps, or just postage stamps.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Blair (TC)

Old May 16th 05, 02:03 PM
Arthur Mongan

Hi
Scott's catalogs do not list non-US telegraph stamps. The one you
illustrated was issued in 1893 as part of a set of 6 ranging from 2c to 10 P
for the large size perf 12 and in 1894 as a set of 5 ranging from 2c to 1 P
for a small size, perf 11. Yvert et Tellier catalogues are better for world
wide telegraphs.
Art

Specimen paulistaner Paper Money 2 October 20th 05 11:22 AM
Tomorrow, coin auctions on ebay, from seller philcord will start to end. philcord Coins 0 March 22nd 05 02:05 AM
Chile Query TC Blair General Discussion 5 January 31st 05 10:45 AM
Chile query Rodney General Discussion 2 January 29th 05 10:26 AM
LEELO, NO TE ARREPENTIRAS KADOBRAL Autographs 1 January 20th 05 05:24 AM