Macao Cancel On Hong Kong Stamp

Old May 10th 05, 06:04 PM

Default Macao Cancel On Hong Kong Stamp

Howdy Do -

Riddle me this...

How can a Hong Kong stamp be used in Macao? A clear sock on the nose
cancel. The only reason that I can come up with is that it was a
"skip" in Hong Kong and cancelled in Macao.

-OR- is there a "Macao" post office on the island of Hong Kong?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 10th 05, 07:07 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message

Howdy Do -

Riddle me this...

How can a Hong Kong stamp be used in Macao? A clear sock on the nose
cancel. The only reason that I can come up with is that it was a
"skip" in Hong Kong and cancelled in Macao.

-OR- is there a "Macao" post office on the island of Hong Kong?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

Tracy

Are Hong Kong stamps valid for postage in any part of China, into which both
Hong Kong and Macao are now integrated? Just an idea.

Regards, Roger

Old May 11th 05, 03:27 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:07:50 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Howdy Do -

Riddle me this...

How can a Hong Kong stamp be used in Macao? A clear sock on the nose
cancel. The only reason that I can come up with is that it was a
"skip" in Hong Kong and cancelled in Macao.

-OR- is there a "Macao" post office on the island of Hong Kong?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

Tracy

Are Hong Kong stamps valid for postage in any part of China, into which both
Hong Kong and Macao are now integrated? Just an idea.

Shoot... I forgot to mention this was 19th century Hong Kong. My
bad... sorry about that.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 11th 05, 03:33 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:28:57 -0400, TC wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:04:25 -0400, wrote:

Howdy Do -

Riddle me this...

How can a Hong Kong stamp be used in Macao? A clear sock on the nose
cancel. The only reason that I can come up with is that it was a
"skip" in Hong Kong and cancelled in Macao.

-OR- is there a "Macao" post office on the island of Hong Kong?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

================================================= =====================

The first P0 was opened at Victoria (Hong Kong) before the end of 1841
using locally-made hand-stamps. Crowned circle marks followed.

The service was under the London GPO until 1 May 1860, when it passed
to control by the colony. Prepayment of mail to Britain became
compulsory on 1 May 1858.

Other POs were opened after 1898. Owing to its deep harbour Hong Kong
became a transfer point for European mailboat services.

Stamps of Hong Kong are found used in Bangkok (1885), Labuan (1864),
Macao (1865-84), Manila (1865-77), Anping (Formosa) 1889-92, Chinese
treaty ports (1862-1917) [British POs in China], and Japan.

Shoot... I forgot to mention this was 19th century Hong Kong. My
bad... sorry about that.

Bingo, Blair! You hit it right on the nose.

This however, is bizarre, because it was a Portuguese colony at the
time of the cancel. All of those "finely printed" classic Macao
stamps (hehehehehe) that we'd all like to have but cost a lot and are
a pain to distinguish between!

Apparently, there must have been some British offices running there at
the same time, but not quite mentioned in any of the "Everyman"
literature out there.

This ups the ante heavily. (There's always a catch!) How the heck
can anyone distinguish between anything over there in the mid - late
1800s and early 1900s?

Macao was Portuguese but allows British colony stamps to be used? Not
to mention Bangkok (Siam at the time) had stamps, Manila was Spanish.
The worst of the bunch would be Japan! How can one tell if it was
real or speculative?

I know these are a lot of questions and maybe a specialized catalog of
down there would help.

Thanks again!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 11th 05, 08:08 AM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:07:50 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Never mind, Tracy. Perhaps I was being too clever by assuming that when you
said, "is there a "Macao" post office..." you were referring to the present.

Best regards, Roger

Old May 11th 05, 11:03 AM
TC

================================================ ======================

[...]

Hi Tracy:

You might want to pick up a copy of:

The Postal History of Hong Kong, 1841-1997

by Edward B Proud

The new edition of this massive work of 1,150 pages is
now available. Size of the book is slight thinner than
the previous two volumes ( Hong Kong, Br P O's in Far East)
combined, but surprisingly somewhat heavier at 2.35 kilos
Retail price of the book is £65.

By the way, the Hong Kong Study Circle is making
this book available to members for £45 + postage.
http://www.hongkongstudycircle.com/

Also, it was not uncommon, in the 19th century, to have
post offices from one country (especially European ones)
in another country. Just look at the Chinese Treaty Ports
and foreign post offices in the Ottoman Empire.

The main reasons for doing this we
(1) The local postal system was slower and/or more expensive.
(2) There was less security of the mails in the local system.
(3) Local postal systems might not be UPU members.

It must also be remembered that the UPU was only started
in the 1870s (with only 22 members) and many coutries did
not join it until well into the twentieth century.

Japan joined in 1877.
Siam (Thailand) joined in 1885.
China joined in 1914.
Philippines joined in 1922.

Blair (TC)

Old May 12th 05, 12:05 AM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:08:44 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

[...]