One Born Every Minute...

Old March 16th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default One Born Every Minute...

Now, I was initially interested in this book due to the asking price. High
considering that Grisham's first and rarer book can be had for much less...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/John-Grisham-SIGN...QQcmdZViewItem

Then I became fascinated by the certificate, issued by Book Grading Service,
Inc. Certainly looks impressive, eh? After all:

"Book Grading Service, INC is the official grading partner of Flatsigned
Rare Books!

Having your book authenticated, reviewed and sealed by Book Grading Service,
INC adds a whole new dimension to the hobby of collecting books!

BGS authenticates (for signed books), grades the condition and seals each
book to ensure that each book is accurately represented and described in a
manner that can be recognized by the entire spectrum of collectors out
there! If you are the most knowlegable collector in the world - YOU KNOW
EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GETTING WHEN IT HAS BEEN REVIEWED BY THE EXPERTS AT
BGS! If you are the least knowlegable collector in the world - YOU KNOW
EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GETTING WHEN IT HAS BEEN REVIEWED BY THE EXPERTS AT
BGS!

Book Grading Service, INC. (BGS) also provides appraisal services and are
certified members of the International Society of Appraisers, whose members
are often seen on PBS's Antiques Roadshow."

It seemed to me that if such a company existed, they would have a web page.
But no, they do not nor has there been any reference to them on the Internet
that I can find.

Now, being a part of Flatsigned might give some credibility. Has anyone
heard of these certificates before?
--
Hugs,
Willow

Old March 17th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Willow Arune" wrote in message

Now, being a part of Flatsigned might give some credibility. Has anyone
heard of these certificates before?
--
Hugs,
Willow

Yeah. Franklin Mint offers "Certificates of Authenticity" which
state that the item truly is a limited edition (which actually
means "limited to as many as we can sell"). So take it with
the proverbial grain of COA-clouded salt.

Kris
Flatsigned and credible in the same sentence makes my hair hurt

Old March 17th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Willow Arune" wrote in message

Book Grading Service, INC. (BGS) also provides appraisal services and are
certified members of the International Society of Appraisers, whose
members
are often seen on PBS's Antiques Roadshow."

It seemed to me that if such a company existed, they would have a web
page.
But no, they do not nor has there been any reference to them on the
Internet
that I can find.

http://www.bookgradingservice.com/

HTH.

Old March 17th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

[...]

Book Grading Service
3415 West End Ave #1101
Nashville, Tennessee 37203

FlatSigned Rare Books
3415 West End Avenue #1101
Nashville, TN 37203

Old March 17th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

From their website:
"Nor are we saying that we are experts or anything but humans who are
professionals in this field. "

They aren't experts, but they expect to be paid for their services....

"Our owner has been featured in nationally televised marketing programs
showcasing his success with on-line autographs and rare books. The
owner of our company is a contributing writer to Autograph Collectors
Magazine and as a full chapter contributor to the Sander's Price Guide
to Autographs, the world's foremost authority on autograph valuation. "

I wonder why they don't give the owner's name? It sounds like he has
some amazing credentials...

"In the event of any legal action you may file against BGS, you agree
to binding arbitration with the American Arbitration Association (AAA)
and that you will cover all costs for the AAA arbitration and
arbitrator and will select Nashville, TN as the venue for any and all
arbitration."

Nashville? Now why does that ring a bell when talking about
Flatsigned? Hmmm.

Old March 17th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Book Grading Service
3415 West End Ave #1101
Nashville, Tennessee 37203

FlatSigned Rare Books
3415 West End Avenue #1101
Nashville, TN 37203

Anybody ever heard of Elder's Bookstore in Nashville?

Old March 17th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Wildwood wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:59:33 GMT, in rec.collecting.books "Willow
Arune" wrote:

Now, being a part of Flatsigned might give some credibility.

My irony meter just exploded.

I don't know if it's the same people, but a little while ago I contacted
a seller on ebay who had listed an edition of Frank Harris's My Life and
Loves, Volume 3 as a first. This particular edition I have investigated
and proved to my satisfaction that it is a phoney, and I passed on the
fruits of my research to him. He told me - though he did not regard it
as conclusive - that a commercial book assessment service had passed
another copy of this edition as an authentic first.

(One thing that gives away this edition as a wrong 'un is the fact that
those chapters that have any erotic content are numbered differently
from the others, as a helpful guide to the intended one-handed
readership. What an excellent idea, though, and one that could be taken
further by printing those chapters on different coloured paper, or, even
more radically, not bothering to include the boring, non-titillatory
ones at all.)

Alfred