Stamp orphans

Old August 28th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Stamp orphans

For those un acquainted with the term Stamp Orphans; these are stamps
with no country name.
As far as I can find there are no laws that say a country name needs
to be on postage stamps.
Great Britain is famous for never having the country name on its
stamps.
The USA has ten stamps that qualify as Orphans. No USA, US, US Postage
or United States appear to identify these stamps as being US
Postage...however only the first set of three stamps are truely
Orphans.
The other nine issues loosely fall into this category.
Scott 548-550, 947, 1017, 119.3, 1208, 1320, 1344 and C74.
I don't scan so I can't send images.
I suppose there are other countries that have Orphans, I have done no
research on this.
Anyone care to input?

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old August 28th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 28, 9:15*am, Ralphael1 wrote:
For those un acquainted with the term Stamp Orphans; these are stamps
with no country name.
As far as I can find there are no laws that say a country name needs
to be on postage stamps.
Great Britain is famous for never having the country name on its
stamps.
The USA has ten stamps that qualify as Orphans. No USA, US, US Postage
or United States appear to identify these stamps as being US
Postage...however only the first set of three stamps are truely
Orphans.
The other nine issues loosely fall into this category.
Scott 548-550, 947, 1017, 119.3, 1208, 1320, 1344 and C74.
I don't scan so I can't send images.
I suppose there are other countries that have Orphans, I have done no
research on this.
Anyone care to input?

Ralphael, the OLD one

947 says *US Postage" at bottom.
1017 says US in upper right.
1193 says US just before "man in space"
1320 says United States just above "savings bonds".
1344 says US at bottom right before the 6.
C74 says U.S. at top, before "Airmail Service"

Blair
Old August 28th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

This, on the one hand, is a true Orphan,
http://cjoint.com/data/iCqZL2e1MH.htm
but country of origin is rather obvious

Old August 28th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

Ralphael1 wrote:
For those un acquainted with the term Stamp Orphans; these are stamps
with no country name.
As far as I can find there are no laws that say a country name needs
to be on postage stamps.
Great Britain is famous for never having the country name on its
stamps.
The USA has ten stamps that qualify as Orphans. No USA, US, US Postage
or United States appear to identify these stamps as being US
Postage...however only the first set of three stamps are truely
Orphans.
The other nine issues loosely fall into this category.
Scott 548-550, 947, 1017, 119.3, 1208, 1320, 1344 and C74.
I don't scan so I can't send images.
I suppose there are other countries that have Orphans, I have done no
research on this.
Anyone care to input?

Ralphael, the OLD one

All Belgian stamps issued between July 1 1849 and November 15 1869
qualify as Orphans. None of these stamps have a country name. Stamps
released from November 15 1869 only mention "Belgique". From June 1 1893
the first bilangual stamps "Belgie-Belgique" appear.

Sir Hystrix
--
www.spiders.hystrix.be
www.wry.hystrix.be
Old August 28th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
For those un acquainted with the term Stamp Orphans; these are stamps
with no country name.
As far as I can find there are no laws that say a country name needs
to be on postage stamps.
Great Britain is famous for never having the country name on its
stamps.
The USA has ten stamps that qualify as Orphans. No USA, US, US Postage
or United States appear to identify these stamps as being US
Postage...however only the first set of three stamps are truely
Orphans.
The other nine issues loosely fall into this category.
Scott 548-550, 947, 1017, 119.3, 1208, 1320, 1344 and C74.
I don't scan so I can't send images.
I suppose there are other countries that have Orphans, I have done no
research on this.
Anyone care to input?

Ralphael, the OLD one

For those with an hour or so to spend, I have a set of some 65 images of
stamps not readily identifiable to those who read only western European
alphabets. Some are true orphans in the sense Ralphael uses the term. Send
me an e-mail if you'd like the images.

They were created for use as a club program about identifying hard-to-ID
stamps.

Stan

Old August 28th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Aug 28, 10:00*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
[...]

Blair- Hide quoted text -

aha Blair, me thinks you are a skeptic. The OLD one tends to be a
purist on this post. That is why I mentioned the nine issues fell
"loosely" into the Orphan category.
947 says "US Postage Stamp Centennial" on the bottom. This is not a
country name..
1017 says "National Guard of the US" again this is not a country name.
1193 "US Man in Space" not a country name.
1208 no country name but as Rodney points out the US Flag leaves
little doubt as to the country of origin.
1320 right, 'UNITED STATES SAVINGS BONDS' not a country name.
1344 Oops, I used the wrong number for this one, it should be 1249.
1249 is a 5¢ "Register" over "Vote" with US Flag and "5¢ Posrage" at
bottom.
C74 says "50th ANNIVERSARY U.S. AIR MAIL SERVICE". not a country
name.
Any country could have issued these stamps. They might fall loosely
into the Cinderella category.
What does the Cinderella man in Australia say about this? Remember,
"loosely."

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old August 28th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
IMS

"Sir F. A. Rien"
The UPU signatories are required, except for GB, to have the name of the
country on the stamp, for any stamp intended for international use.
What happens within the country is immaterial.

Saudi Arabia is well known for having no country name on stamps. While the
Brits use the Queen head, the Saudi use the palm and crossed swords (coat of
arms).

pat

Old August 29th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Well, I must say I am rather miffed Ralph,
I was quite sure I had a folder of "Orphan stamps" but I cannot find
it at all, I am now wondering whether I placed them in a folder with
another classification other than "Orphan".

Using an e-album, it is quite easy to place a scanned stamp into multiple
folders, I stamp image may qualify for "orphan" "birds" "railways" etc
and it is easily "saved as", however my orphans are missing thus far.

The only way "loosely" to classify, depends entirely on
the person concerned, my orphans will certainly differ from yours,
and it depends on what stamps you recognise without the country name.

Apart from the stars and stripes issue, the only US "commemoratives" not to
be named
were the three stamps honouring the tercentenary of the Pilgrim Fathers
(1920)

The first regulations promulgated by the UPU in 1874 was the compulsory
use of some form of identification.
In deference of to Britain's position as premier user of adhesive stamps
this rule was waived for British stamps alone, and since then the effigy
of the reigning monarch has been considered as sufficient.

Any stamps prior to 1874 imho, are not considered.

The first stamps to bear a country name, were the US
"city despatch post of New York" inscribed "United States"

"Cinderellas" for mine are quite distinct, my interest lies in the "society
timeline snapshot"
that cinderellas, in the main display.

According to Linn's World Stamp Almanac, "A cinderella is a stamplike label
that is not a postage stamp. Cinderellas include seals and bogus issues, as
well as revenue stamps, local post issues and other similar items."

Some of the problems inherent in discussing cinderella stamps are apparent
in this definition, which begins by saying that cinderellas are not postage
stamps, but which goes on to include local post issues as cinderellas.

Some collectors define cinderellas as stamps that are not listed in the
Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue. However, as we shall see, a great
many cinderella stamps are listed by Scott, particularly in the U.S. and
Classic specialized editions.

Acknowledgement: James Mackay and Linn's

"Ralphael1"

Old August 29th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hehehe,
Stan, there is one incorrectly identified, can you spot it?
(least I think so, I hope so!)
Rodney

"Stan Fairchild"

Old August 29th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Oops
I thought you had glitched on the SG288 of Saudi Arabia.
my mistake. (Arrghh)

22 orphans George D Coins 0 June 7th 05 08:27 AM
Stamp theft in Vancouver- Like Edmonton Stamp Show Thefts? Ken Lewis General Discussion 10 January 10th 05 11:39 AM
An Italian Artist and Stamp Designer Appears on His Own Stamp - which he designed. TC General Discussion 2 February 22nd 04 11:27 AM
2004 U.S. Stamp Polls Now Open at Virtual Stamp Club Lloyd A. de Vries General Discussion 0 December 17th 03 09:38 PM