Please Help Me Clear Up Belgian RR Paper Types

Old June 23rd 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Please Help Me Clear Up Belgian RR Paper Types

Hi there. Serious question this time.

I know we've had some discussion on Belgian RR paper types in the
past, but I guess I'm a THICK person when it comes to some things.

I know that Rein has posted some replies, but I'm not sure if they
were quite clear or I mis-read them. I'll stick with the mis-read
action for right now.

Further, Rein's site has some info on it, but haven't looked past the
Dutch for an answer. Maybe he can chime in with others about this.

Here are the terms, when referring to the 1968 locomotive series:

-- "terne" = dull paper. I assume this means definitely not bright
white but rather a dull background. I think I may be able to decipher
this one.

-- "blanc" = blank paper? (translator must have gotten a bug in the
system with this one.) I would think that this means white paper - a
paper that definitely shows the whiteness. Brighter than terne above,
but with no paper coating.

-- "brilliant" = what? The only examples I have seen are coated
stamps. Much like "blanc" above, but with a shiny coating on them.

-- "polyvalent" = REALLY WHAT? I have this assumption that
polyvalent, in this instance means much like the brilliant above. I
have seen ads for this on delcampe. When showing the stamps side by
side, there is a difference between them. I can think of the
difference between typo and litho stamps.

-- "epacar" = no idea.

We have mentioned that polyvalent is a synonym for a type of "general"
paper, but I can't wrap the brain cells around the concept. I truly
wish there was a site with VERY clear scans that could show the
differences clearly. I have dull, white and coated stamps from this
time period and am interested in the differences between them.

Maybe someone could send me examples of all of the types so I can
visually see the difference. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.
I'd cover postage and stamp cost - no problem.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Tracy
Old June 23rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Tracy,

http://www.galeoptix.nl/fila/belg_pap.htm
http://www.galeoptix.nl/fila/blg_pp01.htm

all in Dutch I'm afraid...

groetjes, Rein

Op Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:07:47 +0200 schreef :

[...]

Polyvalent is the Belgian curse for "everything goes"

What is meant by this is that the English manufacturers Harrison and Sons,
Inverpak, Henry and Leigh Slater and also Coated Papers Ltd used a
completely different type of paper [feasible for all printing methods:
typography, recess and photogravure] than what they got before from the
Belgian Intermills/Novarode Works at St. Genesiusrode. This paper is
similar to what had been used for British Machin stamps.

Epacar is the Belgian term for English paper originating from the H&L
Slater or CPL manufacturers. Epacar = Etablissement de Papiers & Cartons,
the Belgian firm importing H&L Slater and CPL paper! H&S had a direct
contact with the Belgian Ministry of Government Supplies.

So far, Goodnight!

Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 24th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Thanks Rein. I received your e-mail as well. Will check them out.

Old June 24th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

wrote:
[...]

Hi Tracy,

Do you have the Belgian catalog (OCB)? In the dutch version on page 418
of the most recent OCB there is a page explaining the different paper
and gum types, or at least an attempt to explain it. There is also a
table which lists a reference stamp per paper type.

If you don't have it I'll make a scan and send it to you.

Good luck sorting your stamps.

Sir Hystrix

--
www.wry.hystrix.be
Old June 24th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Sir Hystrics,

That page was prepared by me and Eric Mesdagh several years ago but
unfortunately the OCB editors did not use our paper and gum types for the
Railway stamps

groetjes, Rein

Op Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:06:58 +0200 schreef Sir Hystrix
:

Old June 24th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:06:58 +0200, Sir Hystrix

[...]

Yes, I have the 2004 edition, which is quite helpful. Thank you for
reminding me of that. Memory, like my eyesight, seems to waver at
times. Geez, and I'm only a young'un still.
Old June 24th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:00:37 +0200, Rein wrote:

Sir Hystrics,

That page was prepared by me and Eric Mesdagh several years ago but
unfortunately the OCB editors did not use our paper and gum types for the
Railway stamps

That I do remember you posting. Quite adamant and rightly so.

Old June 25th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:07:47 -0400,
wrote:

It seems that the C.O.B. states that these show up under UV light. I
take that to be short-wave or long-wave?

I retrieved my UV lamp from the depths yesterday to notice that the
batteries had gone bad inside. Let it suffice to say that the poor
beast was underused and neglected. Kind of like my watermark fluid
bottle that keeps seeming to lose ever so little just sitting around,
not being used.

I guess I need to hone up on what countries use short and which ones
use long wave UV to determine types. I'm into the tagging thing as
flyspecks...

So, if anyone has any words of wit here, please post them.

Thanks!