Question: Belgium

Old November 15th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default Question: Belgium

In my 2004 Scott's Classic Specialized for Belgium there are values for
Used pairs, used strips of 3 & 4 and used blocks of 4. I have an
Unused block of 4 of Sc# 9 (1 centime green). The catalog has Unused =
$225., Used = $125. and Used block of 4 = $1,000. Considering that I
have to get it expertized, what is an unused block of 4 with full gum
worth (CV)?
Thanks,
TL

Old November 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

TL wrote:
In my 2004 Scott's Classic Specialized for Belgium there are values for
Used pairs, used strips of 3 & 4 and used blocks of 4. I have an
Unused block of 4 of Sc# 9 (1 centime green). The catalog has Unused =
$225., Used = $125. and Used block of 4 = $1,000. Considering that I
have to get it expertized, what is an unused block of 4 with full gum
worth (CV)?
Thanks,
TL

I'm afraid the Official Belgian Catalog 2006 edition isn't specific
about a value for this stamp either.

A single stamp is valued at 255 euro (mint hinged), 150 euro (mint no
gum), 140 euro (used).

For a block of four, the values are 1150 euro (used), mint without gum
the block is valued "", which means according to the catalog "the
value of the stamp cannot be determined".

A single stamp (mint never hinged), a block of four (mint hinged and
mint never hinged) are valued as "liefhebbersprijs", which means "very,
very expensive", as in "only auctioned at Sotheby's"!?

I have scanned the catalog page for you.
http://www.hystrix.be/images/medaillon.jpg

Best regards,
Sir Hystrix.

Old November 15th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Sir Hystrix wrote:
TL wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the scan and information.

I don't think my block is the reprint mentioned in Scott's as it
doesn't have lines outside of the stamp and it has the proper margins
and color.

It says that it was valid for postage on newspapers and printed matter
only.

This all makes one wonder just when is a determination made of a value.
I can't imagine that in the last twenty years multiples or blocks of
these stamps haven't been at auction.

Maybe there's a world cruise (as they say) ahead.

Regards,
TL

Old November 16th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

The 1949 Balasse catalog rates a mint single at 1,600 BFr and a
mint block of 4 at 10,000 BFr. Interestingly, a used single is
priced at 1,000 BFr but a used block of 4 rates 12,500 BFr!

I can see some justification in this since the stamps should only
have been used one at a time. Based on this I would use 80% of
the Scott value for a used block of 4.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article .com,
says...

Old November 16th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Jay,
Thanks for the information. If I understand you correctly the unused
block would be worth less than four singles unused (based on present
values). Unless one used a ratio: mintsingle(a)/mintblock(y) =
usedsingle(b)/usedblock(c) and then multiplied (y) by .80 .... [(a
x c) ÷ b = y] x .80 = CV
[(255 x 1150) ÷ 140] x .80 = 1675.71 euro (for used block of 4)
Another method might be to multiply the mint single value by 6.25. =
1593.75 euro (used 4).
They are both similar.
cheers,
TL

Old November 16th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Oops,
I meant:
[(255 x 1150) ÷ 140] x .80 = 1675.71 euro (for UNUSED block of 4)
Another method might be to multiply the mint single value by 6.25. =
1593.75 euro (UNUSED block of 4).
TL

Old November 16th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

The bottom line, as always is what
the buyer is willing to pay.

I imagine that if the stamp was only