Question : commemorative bronze medal

Old July 25th 03, 02:08 PM
Alison K.

Default Question : commemorative bronze medal

Hello, RCCers!

A coworker brought in a commemorative medal made by "Metallic Art Co."
of Danbury, CT. It's for the 200th anniversary of the Constitution,
and has pictures of "Gouvernor [sic] Morris" and "James Madison" on
one side; it has "We the People" with a map of the 13 original
colonies and the date of the signing on the back.

I've tried looking up the company with no luck- they either don't have
a website or have gone out of business. (I'm tempted to say the latter
since I couldn't find them in the online yellow pages.) Does anyone
have any information on this medal?

Thanks,
Alison K.
Old July 25th 03, 02:23 PM
AnswerMan2

One problem may be that you are misspelling the company name. It's Medallic
Art, not Metallic. As far as I know they are still in business.
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan
Old July 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

Are you sure it's not the Medallic Art company. I found one web site

http://dboitnott.home.mindspring.com...ollo_frame.htm

"Alison K." wrote in message
om...
Hello, RCCers!

A coworker brought in a commemorative medal made by "Metallic Art Co."
of Danbury, CT. It's for the 200th anniversary of the Constitution,
and has pictures of "Gouvernor [sic] Morris" and "James Madison" on
one side; it has "We the People" with a map of the 13 original
colonies and the date of the signing on the back.

I've tried looking up the company with no luck- they either don't have
a website or have gone out of business. (I'm tempted to say the latter
since I couldn't find them in the online yellow pages.) Does anyone
have any information on this medal?

Thanks,
Alison K.

Are

Old July 25th 03, 04:54 PM
Coin Saver

From: Alison K.
"Metallic Art Co." of Danbury, CT. I've tried looking up the company with no
luck- they either don't have a website or have gone out of business.

I did a search and got this:

Medallic Art Co. 80 Airpark Vista Blvd Dayton, Nevada 89403-8303, Phone:
775-246-6000. (no website listed)

Medallic Art Company was formed in 1903 by Henry Weil, a highly respected
French sculptor living in New York City.

Medallic Art grew in size and prestige in New York before moving to Danbury,
Connecticut, in 1972. In 1991, Medallic Art relocated to Sioux Falls South
Dakota after it was acquired by Tri-State Mint, a respected private minting
operation. Initially, Tri-State Mint ran Medallic Art as a division of its
precious metal minting operation, but eventually Tri-State Mint changed its
name and all of its operations now exist under Medallic Art Company Ltd.

In 1997, Medallic Art Company relocated to its present 115,000 square foot
state-of-the-art facilities in Dayton, Nevada, just minutes from the famous
Comstock Lode silver mines and Nevada gold fields of the 1850s.

Today, Medallic Art Company is the oldest and largest private mint in the
United States. Nearly a century in existence has earned Medallic Art Company a
place of distinction and world-wide recognition in minting.

Hope this helps somewhat.
8-/
Coin Saver
Old July 25th 03, 08:22 PM
Alison K.

Sorry for the duplicate post there, folks.

And you both were right: it was meDallic, not meTallic. I found the
company's website (http://www.medallic.com) and that gave me their
contact information, at least. In their FAQ section one of the
questions was "how much is this medal worth?" but their response was,
"Talk to a qualified medalist or coin dealer".

I found a couple books for prices of commemoratives from the US mint,
but I haven't found any so far for private mint issues.

Thanks for your help!
Alison K