Your lowest mintage?

Old April 2nd 04, 06:28 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message

If your collection was organized from
lowest mintage to highest mintage for each coin, which piece that you
own would be #1?
Alan
'LQQK! RARE!!'

You didn't say it had to be a U.S. coin or even a coin made for circulation.
I have several coins with mintages of 500 pieces or less. For example, I
have a Belize $100 gold coin commemorating the Mayan Sun God Kinich Ahau
which has a mintage of only 200 pieces. It is matte finish and .500 gold.
Very attractive coin. I also have a 5 Tala coin from Tokelau with a mintage
of 500 pieces. It is a sterling silver proof and depicts fishermen in a
native sailing vessel under full sail. Another very attractive coin. Gold
and silver commemorative coins with VERY low mintages have been among my
collecting passions for the past couple of years (as long as they are of a
theme that I find interesting and/or aesthetically appealing). I have
recently begun dabbling in ancients too. It is amazing how many and varied
are the possibilities! So many interests and so little money! :-) Isn't
coin collecting a great hobby?

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old April 2nd 04, 06:38 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Winde Walker" wrote in message

First off, my complaint is that Commemorative coins are not legal
tender coins...

Having said that they a

47,955 = 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial
50,030 = Cleveland Great Lakes Exposition
57,272 = 1997P Botanical Gardens Silver Dollar

Nice group of commems if I do say so myself. Congratz on having them
in your collection.

Winde
'going to resist this urge to collect modern commems'
'somehow'

What do you mean "not legal tender". Of course they are! How do you think
so many of them became so worn? They were used to buy stuff, spent,
tendered as payment for goods and services! They perhaps were not meant to
be circulated but a great number of them did, indeed, find their way into
commerce.

Old April 2nd 04, 07:36 AM
Bruce Greenblatt

#1) 1873 Silver 3¢ piece - mintage 600. (proof only issue)
#2) 1868 Silver 3¢ piece - mintage 3,500 business strikes.

Old April 2nd 04, 07:42 AM
WinWinscenario

I'm amazed the Unc Botanic is still so cheap. ;-)

It's one of the better-designed moderns, IMO, but not one of the scarcer ones.

There are 19 $1 moderns with lower mintage out of the 52 that have been made
(not counting the Edison and First Flight, which are lower but still for sale).
The 25K Coinage and Currency sets may be a factor, too, because lots of the
sets have been broken up to get to the key-date matte 1997 Jeff.

Regards,
Tom
Old April 2nd 04, 07:48 AM
WinWinscenario

I paid the issue price $205? for the $5 Gold Capital Visitor Center.

They were only $175 if you bought them in the plastic mailer.

Sold the Visitor Center for somewhere between $400 and $500, I forget

Nice appreciation, but why are they so cheap? #1 on the list (out of 24 gold
modern commems) is the Jackie Robinson, and that has soared over $2K. The CVC
is #2 and can't get no respect. The #3, the Library of Congress bimetallic, is
now over $1K.

Regards,
Tom

Old April 2nd 04, 10:22 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:
Identify these three official US Legal Tender coins by their mintages:
47,955
50,030
57,272

Nice catches. I remember one night grading some Mercury Dimes into
2x2s and on a 1916-S writing "10 million. Rare" and she said, "Dad,
nothing with 10 million can be rare." And I took that to heart.
Since then, I have come to see the BILLIONS of Mercs, Walkers, IHCs,
Morgan Dollars, and other types that we gush over. They are not rare.

In CONFESSIONS OF A NUMISMATIC FANATIC, Frank Robinson makes a point
about this. He said that by specializing first in Chinese then in
other areas he has been able to acquire as rare or rarer than Brasher
Doubloons.

Get out of the modern era of machine made mass production and rarities
jump out at you; they dance on the dealers' showcases. Except for
things like the Athenian Owl or Alexander Tets and Drachms and certain
Roman Emperor/Attribute combinations, it is not hard to find ancients
where yours and the five in museum catalogs are the only ones known.
No one pays much attention to Yet Another Septimus Severus, but if you
do...

Your commems are still nice. One of the factors with the classic
commemoratives is that some of the programs were so disasterous that
the actual number Minted is an overstatement.

Michael
"unique"
Old April 2nd 04, 10:33 AM
ftecaw

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
It's a certain three-year-old boy's borthday today! Yes, he's been

Dumbass,

There's only one thing worse than a rugrat - it's a dumbass rugrat.
Send the thing to the bottom of the panama canal to retrieve the st. guadens
that's there.

You're welcome, idiot.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:12 PM
Jerry Dennis

Harv, let me know if you decide to spend a 2000-W Uncirculated $10.00
BiMetallic Library of Congress Commemorative as $10.00. I'd be more than happy
to be your waiter, providing excellent service! And I wouldn't call the Secret
Service on you!

Jerry
Would do almost anything legal to get paid in commems. :-)

"Harv" provides:

"Winde Walker" wrote in message

First off, my complaint is that Commemorative coins are not legal tender
coins...

They are.. how do you think all those 1893 Columbian Exposition Halves,
Isabella Quarters, and so on got circulated and worn down to lower
grades??.. United States Mint Commemoratives are denominated and monetized
and are Legal Tender. Says so on the COA of every Modern Commemorative you
own.

Now if you want to discuss the wisdom of taking a 2000-W Uncirculated $10.00
BiMetallic Library of Congress Commemorative down to your local diner and
buying a $10.00 meal with a $1000.00 coin, Well, besides the waitress' head
exploding before she calls the Manager who calls the police on you for
trying to pass "funny money".. you'd have to be a few bananas short of a
bunch to do it..

Harv

Old April 2nd 04, 05:21 PM
Chris S

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote:
You've nailed the suspects! A 1926 (P) Oregon Trail, the Cleveland Half
Dollar and the Botanic Gardens Uncirculated. But if your 'price is
right' guess is for all three (which is what I'm looking for) than you
are not a winner of this contest, Chris.

After investing 30 seconds searching Google for the mintages, I didn't want
to commit two full minutes to check prices! With time and therapy, I'll get
over it. ;-)

--Chris

Old April 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
R. Carvish

Not collecting US very actively (except when I'm travelling down there and
have access to nice US coins), I have lowest mintage foreign coins.

#1 would probably be Papua New Guinea 10 kina (around 1,000)
#2 Thule Kap York 100 ore (around 2,000 I think)

I paid 7,00$ US for #1, and 30$US (shipped from Denmark) for #2.

Colleen

Alan & Erin Williams ) writes:
It's a certain three-year-old boy's borthday today! Yes, he's been
saddled for life with being an 'April Fool's Day' child, poor tyke.

I have been blasted by the evil Zurg about 45 times already and it's not
even 8AM.
;-)

Anyway, I spent a little time last night after wrapping Buzz Lightyear
in organizing some of the coins in my collection when I had one of those
strange, random,
I've-been-up-too-long thoughts. If your collection was organized from
lowest mintage to highest mintage for each coin, which piece that you
own would be #1?

I have some Barber Quarters, a few 19th century coins, even a 1798 Large
Cent (1,841,745) ;-) but the three 'smallest mintage' coins I own blow
those away. I'll do this as a contest.

Identify these three official US Legal Tender coins by their mintages:

47,955
50,030
57,272

and guess, within $50, what I paid to acquire the three of them. (Public

First correct answer by time-stamp gets as a prize, one of the US coins
that has seen the biggest increase in value since 12/01/03....a 1964
Kennedy Half Dollar, containing .36169 oz of silver. ;-)

Alan
'LQQK! RARE!!'