Mounting question

Old December 7th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
RJ

Default Mounting question

I've always detested hingeless mounts because of the way the plastic cover kills
the surface of the stamp (although I appreciate that they are excellent as far
as protection goes).

Some years back I started an experiment using the glue from Post It labels to
mount stamps. (You just cut a square of the sticky bit and glue that to the
paper, then use the Post It sticky for the stamp).

I used some spare stamps and stuck them to paper in this manner, leaving them in
various demanding situations (e.g. under pressure, on a well lit windowledge, on
top of the CH boiler, in the fridge). At the end of this experiment (started at
the beginning of 2002), I can find no evidence whatsoever of any mark on the
stamp's gum from the Post It sticky.

Before I actually start to mount my collection in this way, and finally get to
see the stamps in their natural state, I was wondering if anyone knew of any
information about the chemicals used in the Post It sticky that I should be
aware of.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rog
Old December 7th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Doug

On Dec 7, 9:57 am, (RJ) wrote:
[...]

An interesting idea.

The gum on posties is designed to be extremely non reactive and I'd
agree that they seem to have been very sucessful at producing something
that's just barely stick, but sticky enough.

There was another thread about mounting without a plastic covering but
not using hinges a while back but I can't find it on google. The poster
cut down stamp mounts and just mounted stamps by their edges.

I agree that the plastic covering 'kills' the surface of the stamp but
I'm not sure I have the energy to remount my whole collection

Old December 7th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

I've wondered about this option but have not tried to experiment. I
wonder if the primary hazard is potential manufacturing changes,
involving different chemistry, which could prove to be harmful to
stamps. It's interesting that some of the larger stamp companies and
wealtheir collectors haven't worked towards finding better mounting
materials.

Bob

Old December 7th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

"Bobstamp" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've wondered about this option but have not tried to experiment. I
wonder if the primary hazard is potential manufacturing changes,
involving different chemistry, which could prove to be harmful to
stamps. It's interesting that some of the larger stamp companies and
wealtheir collectors haven't worked towards finding better mounting
materials.

Bob

I would think that one problem might be gum migration or `creeping
gum'. One can even experience this with some self-adhesive stamps
which use gums specially formulated for them.

Douglas

Old December 7th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John DeBoo

Bobstamp wrote:

I've wondered about this option but have not tried to experiment. I
wonder if the primary hazard is potential manufacturing changes,
involving different chemistry, which could prove to be harmful to
stamps. It's interesting that some of the larger stamp companies and
wealtheir collectors haven't worked towards finding better mounting
materials.

I've several of the older post-its from maybe 5 years ago and several of
them are pretty much drying up, at least they don't restick worth a hoot
once removed from the stack and stuck onto a piece of paper.

I sure wish someone would reproduce the old peelable greenies (no, not
nose glue, aka mexican super glue). One company had purported to
reverse engineer it (Dennis's I think it was) but no way José, those
things are danged close to permanent.

John
Old December 7th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

RJ wrote:
I've always detested hingeless mounts because of the way the plastic cover kills
the surface of the stamp (although I appreciate that they are excellent as far
as protection goes).

Rog

text snipped.

Ypu lost me on this one. Please explain what you mean when you say;
"the plastic cover kills the surface of the stamp."

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old December 8th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"RJ" wrote in message
I've always detested hingeless mounts because of the way the plastic cover

kills
the surface of the stamp (although I appreciate that they are excellent as

far
as protection goes).

Agreed, however, in "The care and preservation of Philatelic Materials"
the authors point out that one of the major areas of damage can be caused
by friction between the interleave and the stamp face.
A tough call, between appreciation and preservation.

Old December 8th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

This is the closest I could find, that addresses your query
Acknowledgement:
"The Care and Preservation of Philatelic materials"
TJ Collings RF Schooley-west 1990
(remembering this is pertinent only to 1990)

http://cjoint.com/data/mibKbaZjoO.htm

To test for Ph
One gram of material broken up (eg album leaf)
suspended in 30 cubic cm of boiled distilled water
for one hour
Ideal Ph is between 6.0 and 8.5

Just an aside perhaps worth mentioning with a philatelic bent.
Benzine: Ok for philately
Benzene: highly toxic and causes blood cancer, must never
be used philatelically.

Old December 16th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Cookham

My experience with postit notes is that they never leave a residue, but
I'd never thought about using them as mounts.

I agree 100% about hingeless mounts killing the surface, so this week
I've mounted a few pages of this years stamps using the postits (stuck
to the album page with a tiny dab of PVA).

I must say, they look sensational - far better than they would look in
hingless mounts.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to do those tests and passing the
information on.

Peter
Old December 16th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Taormina

Peter Cookham wrote:
My experience with postit notes is that they never leave a residue, but
I'd never thought about using them as mounts.

I agree 100% about hingeless mounts killing the surface, so this week
I've mounted a few pages of this years stamps using the postits (stuck
to the album page with a tiny dab of PVA).

I must say, they look sensational - far better than they would look in
hingless mounts.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to do those tests and passing the
information on.

Peter

Peter:

I sorted through some old books of mine a couple of weeks ago. I haven't
looked at some of them for over five years. In a couple of them I used
postit notes (3M) for bookmarks. They were stuck to the pages, not
badly, but certainly enough to remove paper fibres. I would certainly be
very careful using them around stamps.
John

--
John Taormina The MIDDLE-AGED one
To email me you must remove "notme" and "jack"