A curious question

Old July 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Fonty

Default A curious question

I recently aquired a 1922-D Peace Dollar that has the longest die crack
marks I have ever seen. I almost totally encircles the obverse side or the
coin. It got me to thinking. How many coins were minted before the crack
was discovered? Does my coin have twin out there. I think it would be
extremely cool to have a pair. Do any of you have coins with matching die
crack markings?

Fonty

Old July 8th 04, 05:25 AM
TomDeLorey

1922 and later Peace dollars were struck "upside down" in the coin press, so
that the obverse die was the one encircled by the collar, which helped hold the
broken die together. Because of this, a cracked obverse die might have had a
long usage even after the cracks appeared.
You might find a duplicate if you try hard enough.
..
Subject: A curious question
From: "Fonty"
Date: 7/7/2004 10:32 PM Central Daylight Time
I recently aquired a 1922-D Peace Dollar that has the longest die crack
marks I have ever seen. I almost totally encircles the obverse side or the
coin. It got me to thinking. How many coins were minted before the crack
was discovered? Does my coin have twin out there. I think it would be
extremely cool to have a pair. Do any of you have coins with matching die
crack markings?

Fonty

TomDeLorey
-
"Patriotism means supporting your country all of the time, and supporting your
government only when it deserves it."--John Williams
Old July 8th 04, 12:48 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:32:29 -0500, "Fonty" is alleged to
have written:

I recently aquired a 1922-D Peace Dollar that has the longest die crack
marks I have ever seen. I almost totally encircles the obverse side or the
coin. It got me to thinking. How many coins were minted before the crack
was discovered? Does my coin have twin out there. I think it would be
extremely cool to have a pair. Do any of you have coins with matching die
crack markings?

Fonty

POST PICTURES!!!!!!

Bruce (loves die cracks, dramatic ones are rare on Peace dollars)

Old July 8th 04, 01:35 PM
Fonty

Oooooh I seeeeee! That would explain one area of the crack. Just above
TRVST the crack formed a diamond shape ( acually two cracks). It appears
this "diamond" was acually a loose part of the die because the finished
surface of the coin is tilted just slightly on that diamond. I wish I could
post a picture clear enough to show it.
Thanks for the education Tom.

Fonty

.

Old July 10th 04, 05:02 AM
Fonty

Ok, Bruce. I didn't think I could get enough resolution but it turned out
acceptable. Go to alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic group and look for my
message and then look at the REPLY because the first pic is too small.

Fonty