storing stamps

Old April 12th 12, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default storing stamps

Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say
definitives like Machins or Wildings. Putting them into stockbooks would be
very expensive, I think. I'd like to know hwat do you do when tackling the
task of storing so many stamps.

Thanks,
Pedro

Old April 12th 12, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:27:20 +0200, "Pedro"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say
definitives like Machins or Wildings. Putting them into stockbooks would be
very expensive, I think. I'd like to know hwat do you do when tackling the
task of storing so many stamps.

Thanks,
Pedro

Small glassine envelopes of 'index card' size wil hold about 25 in 5
stacks of 5. You can label with a pen and then 'file' in a 'card
drawer', those often found at jumble sales. 100 such glassines
shouldn't cost more than 2 Euro.
Old April 12th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 4/12/2012 6:27 AM, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say
definitives like Machins or Wildings. Putting them into stockbooks would
be very expensive, I think. I'd like to know hwat do you do when
tackling the task of storing so many stamps.

Thanks,
Pedro

Glassine envelopes are fine if you need to keep the stamps somewhat
sorted. Otherwise, I'd consider a shoe box or donating the excess stamps
to a philatelic charity such as Boys Town.

Fortunately I'm out of the shoe box stage now but I do have a lot of
stamps in stock books and in glassine envelopes.

Bill
Old April 12th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:27:20 +0200, "Pedro"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

Hello friends,
Which is the best way to store thousands of duplicate stamps?, let's say
definitives like Machins or Wildings. Putting them into stockbooks would be
very expensive, I think. I'd like to know hwat do you do when tackling the
task of storing so many stamps.

Thanks,
Pedro

Small glassine envelopes of 'index card' size wil hold about 25 in 5
stacks of 5. You can label with a pen and then 'file' in a 'card
drawer', those often found at jumble sales. 100 such glassines
shouldn't cost more than 2 Euro.

which are the aproximate measurements of an index card size glassine
envelope is?
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the measurements
will help me find the proper size through ebay.

Thanks,
Pedro

Old April 12th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

[...]

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm) is standard
US index card size, for which there are card drawers. The same is also a
standard size for glassines, which fit in the same drawers. Drawers
sometimes come one to a box, sometimes 2 drawers side by side in a box.
I have some of each.

4 x 6 is another card size, and there may be drawers for that too, but I
am sure Rien meant the smaller size, which seems just right for 5 small
definitives across. (I usually just stick things in loose in a jumble.)

tjr

Old April 12th 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

[...]

thank you very much for the info, Terry. I'll try to see what I find

regards,
Pedro

Old April 20th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_9_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the
measurements will help me find the proper size through ebay.

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm)

Are you sure your conversion is correct?...
If an inch is about 2,54 cm, then 3,5x5 inches should be something like
8,89x12,7 cm and not 33x51 cm.
Am I doing something wrong?

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

is standard US index card size, for which there are card drawers.

Old April 20th 12, 08:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/19/2012 8:04 PM, gogu wrote:
Ï "Terry ÝãñÑøΓ₯ óôï ìÞΓ*áìÑ
On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the
measurements will help me find the proper size through ebay.

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm)

Sorry, I was sleepy and a bit spaced out when I wrote that. Ignore it.
Those are tenths of inches measured on a slightly different sized object.

If an inch is about 2,54 cm, then 3,5x5 inches should be something like
8,89x12,7 cm and not 33x51 cm.

Correct.

tjr

Old April 20th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_9_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 4/19/2012 8:04 PM, gogu wrote:
I "Terry Yanaoa ooi i?ioia
On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the
measurements will help me find the proper size through ebay.

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm)

Sorry, I was sleepy and a bit spaced out when I wrote that. Ignore it.
Those are tenths of inches measured on a slightly different sized object.

No problem;-)
Just I was not sure about *my* calculations;-)

Old April 20th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"gogu" wrote in message ...

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 4/19/2012 8:04 PM, gogu wrote:
I "Terry Yanaoa ooi i?ioia
On 4/12/2012 2:18 PM, Pedro wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what an index card could mean. Knowing the
measurements will help me find the proper size through ebay.

3 1/2 inches high x 5 inches wide (a bit more than 33x51 cm)

Sorry, I was sleepy and a bit spaced out when I wrote that. Ignore it.
Those are tenths of inches measured on a slightly different sized object.

No problem;-)
Just I was not sure about *my* calculations;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

I also realized something was wrong but original measurements in inches is
ok for me

Thanks both
Pedro

storing coins robert esposito Coins 14 March 17th 08 10:49 PM
RCSD - Storing Self-Adhesive Stamps? Fred Ziffle[_2_] General Discussion 8 January 28th 08 02:02 PM
storing currency Spirit Coins 1 December 25th 06 05:20 AM
Displaying & Storing mark Coins 4 January 27th 05 10:46 PM
Storing books Richard Colville Books 5 April 23rd 04 08:14 PM