Did Idea For Ben Elton's "Stark" Come From Billie Reid's "Slaves"?

Old August 31st 12, 05:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Art Laurent

Default Did Idea For Ben Elton's "Stark" Come From Billie Reid's "Slaves"?

Back in 1999 when he was recording 'Ticket Out Of Dizneyland', Billie
Reid remembered how he wrote 'Slaves Replacement Technology & The
Neutron Bomb' in 1988. The next summer, Ben Elton's book 'Stark' was
published, using a very similar theme. Billie pointed out that a
couple he stayed with at a farmhouse south of Fremantle (who used to
'milk his brains then scoff') went on to rent from and stay with Ben
and his wife Sophie: 'Ben's Stark appeared soon after,' said Billie.

Back then I didn't delve that deeply. However I did broach the issue
with him in late 2010, asking if he thought Ben had 'borrowed' his
idea. He suggested that it could just be a coincidence but 'it was
more a case that great minds think alike'.

I wouldn't be so sure. My thoughts are that this idea quite possibly
started with Billie. Those of us that know Billie would conclude that
he wouldn't mention it unless he genuinely thought it. Had the
connection not existed between Billie and Ben then the alarm bells
would not have rung. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the seed for
Stark came from Billie. With all respect to Ben (and bearing in mind
that Stark is a 500-page novel and Billie's work is a brief lyric) the
concept is remarkably close. The timing, the connection and the
similar theme suggests he could well have been inspired by Billie.

Email:
Website:
http://www.billiereidmusic.com/
Music: http://soundcloud.com/billiereidmusi...ent-technology