Some numismatic thoughts, imagine!

Old June 30th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Some numismatic thoughts, imagine!

As I read the story about Mr. Stack's retirement from his namesake coin
company, and all the high-powered collectors he served over a period of 62
years, I got to wondering if he ever "handled" any of the coins I own. My
guess is that he did not. How many people who either post here or lurk here
own any material proffered by him? My guess is that the number would be
vanishingly small. Now, if Ira just happened to make a surprise cameo, I
might have to modify my prediction. But, am I right, don't most of us here
do F-VF buffalo nickels and such?

James the Poverty-Stricken

Old June 30th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 8:02*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
As I read the story about Mr. Stack's retirement from his namesake coin
company, and all the high-powered collectors he served over a period of 62
years, I got to wondering if he ever "handled" any of the coins I own. *My
guess is that he did not. *How many people who either post here or lurk here
own any material proffered by him? *My guess is that the number would be
vanishingly small. *Now, if Ira just happened to make a surprise cameo, I
might have to modify my prediction. *But, am I right, don't most of us here
do F-VF buffalo nickels and such?

James the Poverty-Stricken

I own a 1777 dated Mexican 8 Reales and a 1703 dated French Ecu of
Louis XIV, both of which came out of old mail-bid sales by Stack's
"Coin Galleries" division. I got the Mexican coin in 1978 and the
French coin about 2002 and still have the printed "Coin Galleries"
auction envelopes for both. It's not big time, "plate coin", U.S.
numismatics, but do those two pieces (possibly) count???

oly
Old June 30th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
[...]

Only if they were specifically and personally proffered by The Man and not
some hired flunkie.

BTW, does that écu have that most unflattering profile of Louis Quatorze,
complete with the blackheads?

James the Class-Conscious

Old June 30th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 29, 8:53*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
[...]

BTW, does that cu have that most unflattering profile of Louis Quatorze,
complete with the blackheads?

James the Class-Conscious- Hide quoted text -

My French Ecu is overstruck not once, but a least two times. Thus the
coin has been at least three different types of Ecu at some point.
The date that is visible DOES NOT correspond to the dates of the most
visible coin type. But it is not a fake, just overstruck many times.
The dire straits of French finances at the end of the 17th Century,
don't you know. The portrait of Le Roi Soliel is decent, acceptable
until money is available for something better.

The 8 reales cost $30 and the Ecu only $200 (a bargain, likely because
of the nebulous relationship between the date and the type). If Mr.
Stack ever saw these coins, he probably said "junk".

oly
Old July 1st 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Jun 29, 9:02*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
As I read the story about Mr. Stack's retirement from his namesake coin
company, and all the high-powered collectors he served over a period of 62
years, I got to wondering if he ever "handled" any of the coins I own. *My
guess is that he did not. *How many people who either post here or lurk here
own any material proffered by him? *My guess is that the number would be
vanishingly small. *Now, if Ira just happened to make a surprise cameo, I
might have to modify my prediction. *But, am I right, don't most of us here
do F-VF buffalo nickels and such?

James the Poverty-Stricken

Back in the pre-slabbing days, I'd won several items in Stack's
auctions. Although I no longer buy for

my own collections ( save for
for Mint offerings from force of habit) I discovered that I couldn't
get a single auction buy
from Stack's in a PCGS or NGC holder due to cleaning, suspicious
color, altered surface and the like. Before ANR and Q David threw
their hat in with Stack's, the latter eschewed slab material
of all kinds. Now, the bulk of their auctions contained slabbed coins.
Mostly PCGS from what I've seen.

Ira

Old July 1st 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Ira wrote:
[...]

Hi Ira! I'm not sure if that was a yes or a no. What was the question
again?

James the Flummoxed

Old July 1st 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 1, 8:50*am, Ira wrote:
[...]

The Great Oz shows that he too knows how to nicely "place a shiv".

oly
Old July 2nd 09, 11:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Jul 1, 6:07*pm, oly wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:50*am, Ira wrote:

[...]

There were two questions that James asked I believe. I have never
dealt directly with Mr. Stack to the best of my knowledge. I was
buying circulated Lincolns and Indian head cents for myself until
about 1971 or so. Then. I bought a strong XF 1909s Vdb from David Hall
himself from Western Coin Exhange in Los Angeles for $100! It was a
real beauty. Then I sent Mr Hall a couple of thousand bucks and had
him select some nice type coins for me. I got an unc 3c nickel, a
choice unc 1875 twenty center, a VF bust dollar and several others. I
was hooked!

I can't speak to what most clectors on RCC collect, but I imagine
pennies, nickels and Morgans would be typical. Not so on the PCGS
forums, but that would be expected. I don't post much there.

Oly, I don't get what you mean when you say I know how to nicely place
a shiv. You mean about my early experiences witn Stack's? Just like
Kodak, I believe they were far toate in recognizing the winds of
change. But unlike Stack's, no Q Davud Bowers came along to rescue
them.

Ira
Ira
Old July 3rd 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
winwin

I discovered that I couldn't
get a single auction buy
from Stack's in a PCGS or NGC holder due to cleaning, suspicious
color, altered surface and the like.

Whenever I hear of Stack's, I'm reminded of the "missing" 1913
Liberty nickle that was thrown in a closet when Stacks told
the family it was counterfeit. There it languished for decades.
Old July 3rd 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roger Hunt

winwin wrote
I discovered that I couldn't
get a single auction buy
from Stack's in a PCGS or NGC holder due to cleaning, suspicious
color, altered surface and the like.

Whenever I hear of Stack's, I'm reminded of the "missing" 1913
Liberty nickle that was thrown in a closet when Stacks told
the family it was counterfeit. There it languished for decades.

When did this coin finally come out of the closet?
--
Roger Hunt

What's Up?? Thoughts? awfreak Autographs 2 April 3rd 07 06:50 PM
Just imagine... ommadawn 8 Track Tapes 2 July 3rd 05 11:18 PM
A Few Thoughts winnard 8 Track Tapes 15 September 20th 04 02:37 AM
Just my thoughts Ron and Sharon Altman Baseball 1 July 10th 04 03:00 AM
Thoughts on the new 51? John B. Egger Pens & Pencils 5 October 30th 03 08:03 PM