Parker 51 - Ink Stains on Fingers

Old November 6th 05, 11:15 PM
mcgheep7

Default Parker 51 - Ink Stains on Fingers

I have a Parker 51 aerometric fountain pen. The pen writes very well
and very consistently. I always store the pen in an upright position
when not being used. My problem is that I get ink stains on my fingers
where I hold the pen at the clutch ring area. I've noticed that there
is no problem when I first begin writing, but then after 10 minutes or
so my fingers seem to build up some moisture and then the ink stains
start. I've experimented by rubbing my fingers lightly around the
clutch ring when they are completely dry and they get no ink on them.
If I put a drop of water on my fingers and then rub them lightly around
the clutch ring they immediately get ink on them.

Is this something that I should expect? Or does this sound like
something that could be cured by a pen repairer?

Paul

Old November 7th 05, 03:22 PM
Andy Dingley

On 6 Nov 2005 15:15:24 -0800, "mcgheep7" wrote:

My problem is that I get ink stains on my fingers
where I hold the pen at the clutch ring area.

I'm assuming that the ink is travelling from the nib to inside the cap,
then onto the clutch ring / grip area. If it was leaking directly from
the section or through the hood itself, you'd presumably have noticed
it.

Wash the cap out. This may just be some old ink. Check also that the
vent hole in the pen body is clear (right at the tail end of the body).
If it's blocked, then a warm pen in storage can ooze ink out through the
nib.

_Possibly_ (if all else fails) then the finned collector inside the hood
has lost its finning due to a build up of dried-out ink and is no longer
acting as a reservoir. Take the hood off (you'll need to warm the
section _gently_ over a candle) and then soak the collector clean
overnight. This is an easy job, but read the various web resources
first.

Other than that, don't shake them in storage!

Old November 7th 05, 03:24 PM
BL

mcgheep7 wrote:
I have a Parker 51 aerometric fountain pen. ... My
problem is that I get ink stains on my fingers
where I hold the pen at the clutch ring area.
I've noticed that there is no problem when I first
begin writing, but then after 10 minutes or so my
fingers seem to build up some moisture and then
the ink stains start. I've experimented by
rubbing my fingers lightly around the clutch ring
when they are completely dry and they get no ink
on them. If I put a drop of water on my fingers
and then rub them lightly around the clutch ring
they immediately get ink on them.

Is this something that I should expect? Or does
this sound like something that could be cured by a
pen repairer?

Paul -- It sounds like the hood was just screwed on there without
adequately sealing the threads. If the hood isn't adequately sealed, you
can get some seepage. It's not a tough job, but getting the hood to line
up so that the nib is perfectly centered can be a little tricky if
you're not used to doing it. Some people use rubber cement as a sealant,
but I prefer the mix Parker originally used (a rosin/castor oil mix,
heated). You might want to send it to someone for a check up (make sure
there isn't a hairline crack in the hood), a thorough cleaning, and
proper reassembly... Not a tough job at all. -- B

Old November 7th 05, 07:04 PM
*david*

....and after washing the cap out, dry the inside of it carefully (with
twisted-up toilet paper or other tissue, making sure it's the dry kind
without lotion)

....and then leave the cap off the pen to air dry, for at least the rest
of the day. A cap that's wet inside isn't going to help. :-)

Old November 9th 05, 05:33 PM
C GREEN

Default Rotring - Ink Stains on Fingers

I have a similar problem of ink on fingers with a new Rotring Renaissance
OBB nib. Great signature pen, writes smoothly & with character, but there
seems to be nothing I can do to prevent getting ink on my fingers. I've
tried cleaning out the cap, but the problem continues. Any helpful ideas??

ups.com...