Removing scratches from aluminum trim on jukes?

Old October 19th 03, 02:05 PM
Jjmscf

Default Removing scratches from aluminum trim on jukes?

I've read there are 2 ways of removing scratches from aluminum trim on
jukeboxes.The expensive but best way with buffing wheels and special abrasive
polish or the cheap and dirty way: wet sanding.My question is how do some of
you deal with scratches on aluminum trim especially if you have one or 2 deep
ones,the ones you can feel and see across the room?2nd question:Is the aluminum
anodized?If so won't it have to be reanodized?Do the guys that do chromework
also deal with aluminum?
Old October 19th 03, 06:45 PM
Keith Stelter

If you can see the scratches from across the room there is really NOTHING
that can be done to fix it. By the time you would remove a scratch that deep
you would remove so much surrounding material that the part would look worse
tan with the scratch.
I've actually had better luck with wet sanding or using the finest steel
wool with WD-40 on it than I have had with the buffing wheel method. The
buffing wheel method requires a lot of practice to get it right and also
some really ingenious fixturing to hold the part while buffing it.
I've seen the professional guys doing show car parts and I can tell you that
they REALLY have an artistic skill for doing it. I would have to practice it
for years (like they have) before I could ever get good results.
You can really end up with some problems like discoloration from overheating
with the buffing wheel.
Good luck!