Dutch bank cheated by counterfeit Euros for a year

Old September 10th 05, 04:21 PM
stonej

Default Dutch bank cheated by counterfeit Euros for a year

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=economy&alt...50910&hn=23909

Old September 10th 05, 06:18 PM
Christian Feldhaus

oly wrote:

The 500 euro note is a pox on the international economy.

Just don't use it g. Or if you are a bank etc., use equipment that can
recognize counterfeits better than ABN-Amro's old machines did ...

Christian
Old September 10th 05, 10:10 PM
oly

Only drug dealers need a note of that size. Of course, Dutch banks are
probably quite comfortable handling drug money - as long as they can
make something on the transactions.

Old September 10th 05, 10:43 PM
James Higby

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Only drug dealers need a note of that size. Of course, Dutch banks are
probably quite comfortable handling drug money - as long as they can
make something on the transactions.

Isn't making money the objective of banks everywhere? My guess is that we
could find a stateside bank or two that has comfortably handled drug money.

James
'as long as it's green, no crime will be seen'

Old September 10th 05, 11:05 PM
stonej

$100 bills from banks in southern Florida often have cocaine residue on
them.
Not a huge surprise.

Old September 11th 05, 12:30 AM
Scottishmoney

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
$100 bills from banks in southern Florida often have cocaine residue on
them.
Not a huge surprise.

It is all over the country, not just Florida.

Old September 11th 05, 12:52 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
$100 bills from banks in southern Florida often have cocaine residue on
them.
Not a huge surprise.

It is all over the country, not just Florida.

But how much? I suppose it is mostly the consumers of drugs that leave
traces of what they take on the notes. From what I have read about this,
the rule of thumb is, a note with more than one microgram (mcg,
millionth gram) cocaine was used for inhalation. Most other "cocaine"
notes get their traces from counting and sorting machines.

Two years ago a scientific institute in Nuremberg found that notes from
Spain and Italy had relatively much cocaine (335 and 71 mcg) while
French and Finnish notes, on the average, only had traces (0.11 and 0.15
mcg). High value notes - 100, 200 and 500 euro - are less "contaminated"
actually :-)

Christian
Old September 11th 05, 01:55 AM
Dik T. Winter

In article . com "oly" writes:
Only drug dealers need a note of that size. Of course, Dutch banks are
probably quite comfortable handling drug money - as long as they can
make something on the transactions.

Oh well. How do you propose the Dutch pay for, say, a 5000 Euro second-hand
car? A credit card will not be accepted (and it may be beyond the limit on
the credit card; it is on mine). A debit card might work if your limit is
high enough, but people with a high enough limit on the debit card in general
do not buy such a second hand car; and the limit is not high enough on my
card). Checks are almost not used in the Netherlands. Or do you think they
should show up with a stack of 100 50 Euro notes?

I wonder what I should have done when I had had to pay for my current car
in cash (37,500 Euro). As the case was I could transfer the money from
my account to the dealers account before the car was handed over, but
that can take a week, not a good proposition when buying a second-hand
car.
Old September 11th 05, 06:03 AM
richard schumacher

In article , "Dik T. Winter"
wrote:

Checks are almost not used in the Netherlands.

Well that seems rather silly. Why are they not? Surely people and
institutions don't enjoy receiving high-denomination counterfeit notes.
Old September 11th 05, 06:05 AM
richard schumacher

In article , "Dik T. Winter"
wrote:

How do you propose the Dutch pay for, say, a 5000 Euro second-hand
car?

Both parties go to the buyer's bank and transact a cashier's cheque.