Rock-Ola Gearbox Grease / Oil Advise

Old February 20th 11, 11:57 PM
bele2009 bele2009 is offline
Junior Member

Cool Rock-Ola Gearbox Grease / Oil Advise

Hello all

Mechanical newbies here. Please bear with me!

On my Rock-ola 474 I found the Search Motor not turning after a selection is made. 24VAC was getting to the motor but it did not turn. I remove the motor and found the gearbox was seized. I opened it and found all the old grease dry and green. It almost looked like glue or green Loctite!

I physically remove as much junk as I could then placed the gears and the box in paint thinner. Hopefully it will clean up. Or should I use something else to clean the old grease?

What grease should i use when reassembling the gearbox? Do I put grease only on the gear or do I pack the whole box?

It looked like there was some kind of black plastic/rubber bushing when the motor enters the gearbox. I'm not sure as this could have been a plug of old dried grease. The motor shaft is supported at both ends with bronze bushing. I guess I will have to lube those bearings as well. Any recommendation for the oil to use?

Thanks a lot,

Eric
Old February 21st 11, 01:55 AM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Eric,

As a rule: Use lightweight oil (3in1 or 10wt.) on any bronze bearing, gear (not bearing) grease (synthetic, greasegun) in a gearbox. Make sure that anything you use in the gearbox is not harmful to plastics or nylon if you have an output drive gear made from that material.

Moreover, I do not believe there was a rubber "seal" on the gearbox. Therefore, what you found is probably heat-baked, old grease.

If you are comfortable doing so, clean the commutator bars of the armature while you have it disassembled. Also air hose out the field housing. This may save you another extraction later.

Respectfully,

David
Old February 22nd 11, 02:11 AM
bele2009 bele2009 is offline
Junior Member

Thanks David

I greased and oiled the gearbox as per your recommendations and it works great. The motor is actually a shaded-pole AC motor. It does not has any brushes and commutator. I will however do a complete overall of all the other motors very soon.

Regards,

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRebber View Post

Old February 22nd 11, 12:23 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

See? That's what I get for reading too fast and mix-mashing vinyl jukes and their CD counterparts. Unfortunately, I assumed you were using "search" as a term for "scan" aka magazine motor...

Glad you got it working, even though some dunce tried to confuse you. LOL

David

Rock-Ola Model C-X "Rock" Wall Mount Problem Mark[_3_] Juke Boxes 2 February 11th 09 02:18 PM
Rock Ola problem BigBlueMan Juke Boxes 1 December 15th 05 09:12 PM
Trade a rock-ola cd-8 1015 for a 45 rpm verson of the rock-ola GHall88073 Juke Boxes 5 November 21st 04 06:06 PM
Non Rock-ola wallbox with a Rock-ola juke? Joe Blow Juke Boxes 1 May 2nd 04 09:52 PM
Rock-Ola 469 Ron Juke Boxes 1 April 22nd 04 11:35 AM