Rotating gold coins

Old September 3rd 04, 01:36 PM
John Stone

Default Rotating gold coins

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...hspace02.shtml
Old September 3rd 04, 08:42 PM
Michael E. Marotta

(John Stone) wrote:
http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...hspace02.shtml

In this case, I'd rather spin a gold coin and watch it than to
edit-compile-link-and-run until I could crudely simulate it. Sorry.

Michael
"Code is Data is Code."
Old September 3rd 04, 11:28 PM
A.Gent

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
(John Stone) wrote:
http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...hspace02.shtml

In this case, I'd rather spin a gold coin and watch it than to
edit-compile-link-and-run until I could crudely simulate it. Sorry.

Michael
"Code is Data is Code."

Yes but... spinning electrons on a screen don't strip off them MS points.

--
Jeff R.
(codes for coding's sake)

Old September 4th 04, 02:08 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On 3 Sep 2004 05:36:55 -0700, (John Stone)
wrote:

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...hspace02.shtml

There are other ways too to simulate the effect on screen of rotating
a coin in hand. This actually could be a very useful function. It's
widely known that one of the key deficiencies of online coin pics (and
print coin pics too for that matter) is that they don't equal the
experience of seeing a coin person. The chief reason for this is that
you don't get to rotate the coin, to watch how the ambient lighting
reveals details that looking at it from only one angle doesn't. If you
take multiple shots of the coin and create one of these routines, you
can provide an experience for a viewer that's virtually (!) the same
as having a coin in hand. If you also create enlargements, you provide
an experience that's similar to looking at a coin in person under a
loupe.

The problem is that doing this takes some advanced HTML or JavaScript
or similar skills, which most people don't have (I don't), and that
it's considerably more time-consuming than just posting a single shot.
I personally have experimented with a similar technique -- actually
the same technique but used for a different purpose, that being the
morphing of one coin type into another, which you can see he

http://rg.ancients.info/thracetets/morph.html

Anybody interested is free to copy the code I used to create this
effect. Just don't ask me to explain it because I still don't know how
the heck I did this. g

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old September 4th 04, 03:38 AM
A.Gent

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

There are other ways too to simulate the effect on screen of rotating
a coin in hand. This actually could be a very useful function.

The problem is that doing this takes some advanced HTML or JavaScript
or similar skills, which most people don't have (I don't), and that
it's considerably more time-consuming than just posting a single shot.

GIF animations are easy to create, and can show some interesting effects
caused by angle of illumination (among other things).

Here's a sample (340k - sorry). http://mendosus.com/spinning.html

It's Her Madge, scanned at a dozen or so different orientations, then combined
into a single dizzying animation.

**CAUTION** Don't stare at her for too long.

--
Jeff R.
(you have been warned)