ROWE R85 RECORDS PLAY RADOMLY - BATTERY?

Old November 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
69yankey

Default ROWE R85 RECORDS PLAY RADOMLY - BATTERY?

I just purchased a Rowe R85 from my neighbor who is moving out of
state. He told me it worked, I got it reasonably, so I did not test it
before I bought it. It plays songs immediately after it is turned on.
I read on another posting that said it may be the battery. When I
clear memory, it does then function propery until I power it off. I
purchased a manual, but it does not have board schematics. Does anyone
have board schematics for the R85? Can anyone point me in the proper
location of the battery that needs replacement

Old November 4th 06, 04:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
stbann

The battery is located on the Central Control Computer near the middle
of the circuit board at the right hand side. In the link to the photo
below, it's the black rectangle item with the word VARTA written on
top.

http://www.cdadapter.com/images/atestp1.jpg

It's a 3-volt Ni-Cad rechargable battery. Try leaving your jukebox on
for an hour or so to see if the battery will take a charge. You can
clear the random playing by pressing the "CLEAR SELECTION MEMORY"
button on the Central Control Computer.

~Ann Marie
http://www.cdadapter.com

Old November 6th 06, 09:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

69yankey wrote:
I just purchased a Rowe R85 from my neighbor who is moving out of
state. He told me it worked, I got it reasonably, so I did not test it
before I bought it. It plays songs immediately after it is turned on.
I read on another posting that said it may be the battery. When I
clear memory, it does then function propery until I power it off. I
purchased a manual, but it does not have board schematics. Does anyone
have board schematics for the R85? Can anyone point me in the proper
location of the battery that needs replacement

Its one possibility, but beware that if the battery is original, the
board will be corroded to hell, and probably not serviceable. If some
MORON has meanwhile put another Ni-cad in there (rather than a suitable
leak-free long life backup source like a lithium cell, or supercap) and
its running flat, you will also have corrosion.

Another suspect is the pair of 5101 IC's. Most boards I have worked on
recently have faulty ram, this can lead to problems like you describe,
or playing wrong selections above a certain number etc etc.

If you are using the machine at home, and don't need popularity
statistics etc, and the battery is dead or dying I would just remove it
(battery), this way the machine might work, as the ram would be getting
a full reset overwrite at every power-on cycle, and this MAY possibly
remove any rubbish thats causing the problem.