Tech: Seeburg 201 continuously scans for record

Old June 24th 05, 10:33 PM

Default Tech: Seeburg 201 continuously scans for record

I've been working on a problem with a Seeburg 201 where you select a
song, then the mechanism goes back and forth on the track looking for
the record. It never stops to select the record, it just goes back and
forth.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I just had the control
center rebuilt (the box mounted on the back door to the left of the
amp). Thought that would fix it but it didn't.

Thanks!

Old June 25th 05, 03:48 AM
Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic

Do you have a service manual? The manual outlines a set of methodical steps
you can follow to isolate the problem to a particular component. I'll assume
you have a verified working selection receiver AND that you know all the tubes
are good. (Double-check that you have purple glow in the two 0A2 regulator
tubes; no glow means no high voltage means no trip.)

First thing I'd suggest is the "flashlight battery trick" - take a D cell
battery, touch the bottom (negative) end to the selection receiver chassis,
remove the small black cable that plugs in to the top of the pulse amplifier
chassis, and briefly touch the cable to the positive end of the battery.
Replace the cable in the pulse amplifier, make any selection, and see if the
juke starts pulling records. If so, you have a write-in issue, probably due
to a dirty set of write-in contacts on the credit unit.

If no selections registered, you have a sense issue or read-out issue. Take a
close gander at the right rear corner of the carriage; do you see a small
switch there? Remove the metal protective cover and clean the switch (power
OFF!), then rotate the motor coupling by hand to see if the switch is closing
and opening as the carriage scans. Try the battery trick again.

Still no selections? Check the fine wire pigtails that connect the read-out
pins on the contact block to the wiring harness. The pigtails often break
where they are soldered to the pins.

Try pulling the small black cable from the pulse amplifier while the carriage
is scanning; does the mech trip and pull a record? If not, that can indicate
problems with the selection receiver, weak or defective tubes (especially the
12AX7 on the pulse amp), or other problems with the wiring, cables, and etc.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old June 25th 05, 04:50 AM

Joseph "Tony",

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate all the info. I'll get to work...

CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
Star Trek Cards for auctionne! Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 August 27th 03 02:14 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM