2009 Lincoln Cent Reverses

Old July 20th 03, 01:45 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default 2009 Lincoln Cent Reverses

2009 is the Bicentennial of Lincoln's birth and the Centennial of the
Lincoln Cent. I've read a few articles discussing the options the
Congress and US Mint are examining to mark the event.

I'm somewhat troubled by a recurring idea to have multiple reverses
circulating that year on the cent. My Lincoln Cent album is quite large
enough, thank you, without needing ten examples of P+D 2009's, plus five
proofs, for a total of 15 Lincolns in that single year. Assuming that
there are no die varieties, large/small dates or mistaken die marriages
created. ;-)

Apparently the idea is to commemorate different periods of the Great
Man's life, breaking the Illinois monopoly on his legacy, and educating
the Great Unwashed American Public about Abe's life as a schoolboy, as a
lawyer, a congress-critter, a soldier, and whichever scenes and events
are deemed worthy.

As our second smallest coin, I shudder to imagine 'The Railsplitter'
being squeezed into that small space...the Lincoln/Douglas
debates...depicted in a space so small that the words 'ONE CENT' is a
major design element.

I would prefer that instead of five designs, a single design be chosen.
And rather than try to create a new design, that for that single year
the Mint return to the classic and well-balanced "Wheat" reverse that
was used from 1909 to 1958.

Alan
'V.D.B.'
Old July 20th 03, 02:26 PM
John Carney

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote

I would prefer that instead of five designs, a single design be chosen.
And rather than try to create a new design, that for that single year
the Mint return to the classic and well-balanced "Wheat" reverse that
was used from 1909 to 1958.

Alan
'V.D.B.'

I like this idea. I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck as a business
strike coin and sold at a premium. It would be interesting to see if it would sell out
faster than the Buffalo Commem.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old July 20th 03, 02:40 PM
Stujoe

In article , Dan769
spoke thusly...
I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck.

I like this idea, but image if the mint made these and dispersed them thru out
the country quietly. What blast going thru rolls that would be. It would be
bedlam at the banks.

I like the idea too but it would be nice to see it done in pre-1982
metal and with the Wheatie obverse design too.

BTW: Here is a link to the Commision's website where they are
soliciting ideas...not only on coins but that is one of the choices.

http://www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/ideas-new.html

--
Stu Miller
Read about Coins in the News:
Old July 20th 03, 02:42 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

John Carney wrote:

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote

I would prefer that instead of five designs, a single design be chosen.
And rather than try to create a new design, that for that single year
the Mint return to the classic and well-balanced "Wheat" reverse that
was used from 1909 to 1958.

Alan
'V.D.B.'

I like this idea. I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck as a business
strike coin and sold at a premium. It would be interesting to see if it would sell out
faster than the Buffalo Commem.

Wow. I like that idea very much! Please put an order limit on it.

Alan
'wants five now'
Old July 20th 03, 02:59 PM
John Carney

"Stujoe" wrote

I like the idea too but it would be nice to see it done in pre-1982
metal and with the Wheatie obverse design too.

Absolutely. That's what I had in mind, an exact replica of the 1909 S VDB except the date.
As far as the suggestion to distribute these in normal channels, no way......I WANT ONE!

Old July 20th 03, 03:01 PM
John Carney

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote

I like this idea. I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck as a

business
strike coin and sold at a premium. It would be interesting to see if it would sell out
faster than the Buffalo Commem.

Wow. I like that idea very much! Please put an order limit on it.

Alan
'wants five now'

I'd take five also. I'd carry one around and handle it until it matched my 1909 S VDB in
terms of wear. How long does it take to turn a coin into a strong VF?

Old July 20th 03, 03:35 PM
John Carney

"Dan769" wrote in message
I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck.

I like this idea, but image if the mint made these and dispersed them thru out
the country quietly. What blast going thru rolls that would be. It would be
bedlam at the banks.

Dan

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of setting these loose in circulation.
Think how many new coin collectors this would create. The one problem, of course, is that
there would be a lot of AU 2009 S VDBs out there. Maybe the mint could split it up;
100,000 set loose in circulation and 384,000 sold at a premium on the mint's web site for
those who want a pristine example. The specifications should be identical to the 1909
issue i.e. made of copper, with the wheat reverse, using Victor D. Brenner's original
design. No spaghetti hair, no zinc!

Old July 20th 03, 03:52 PM
Scottishmoney

Alan & Erin Williams wrote in message

2009 is the Bicentennial of Lincoln's birth and the Centennial of the
Lincoln Cent. I've read a few articles discussing the options the
Congress and US Mint are examining to mark the event.

Knowing the mint they will manage to thoroughly screw up the opportunity to
make a worthwhile collectible and come out with a programme which will be
overpriced etc.

I think there should be a limited edition coin, with the 1809-2009 dates,
484000 mintage, with a big bad "S" mintmark, wheatback style reverse struck
on bronze(no fargin corrosive zinc) available for the hardcores, and for the
rest of the flock they can have the standard(corrosive plated zinc) cent
with the 1809-2009 dates only.

Dave Parrish

Old July 20th 03, 04:19 PM
John Mason

John,

This idea would be very cool indeed. But to do this somewhat fairly the Mint would have to
limit purchases to one set per household. At least this would keep the honest dealer/hoarder
for accumulating more than their share of the sets......;-) I have 2 '09 S-VDB's, both in XF,
and sometimes I feel guilty about it because the extra one that I have could be owned by
somebody that doesn't have one............................ "NOT!!!!!!!!!!"
I tried to get my hands on one.......... just one mind you, of the Buffalo Comm.sets from the
Mint, but they sold out before i could get an order in........ sometimes your the windshield,
sometimes your the bug......... that time I was the bug.

John

John Carney wrote:
I like this idea. I would also like to see 484,000 2009 S VDBs to be struck as a business
strike coin and sold at a premium. It would be interesting to see if it would sell out faster
than the Buffalo Commem.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

--

Your Friend in Gold Mining......John

Artificial Intelligence is No Match for Natural Stupidity

Old July 20th 03, 05:21 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

[...]

And then after all of that, I would drop the denomination.

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |