Toning on Silver Bullion??

Old August 11th 03, 09:43 PM
MarkR

Default Toning on Silver Bullion??

I just took out some of my Silver Bullion to take a look at them and noticed
that some of the rounds had a pinkish/reddish tint near the outside rim on
both sides (The ones mostly effected are the Chinese Lunar coins and the
Kookaburras. Others are showing this too, but not as much.) These rounds
are in airtites with a black ring. These airtites are then set into a black
sturdy card. They are then in a scuff resistant box and then inside a
tupperwear container with several silica gel containers. These tupperwear
containers are stored under my bed in a cool setting and not where they
would be in direct sunlight. The reason I'm describing exactly how I have
these stored is that maybe someone can tell me if these are toning because
of how they are stored or is this normal? I'm not too sure if Silver
Bullion can be sold very well, if I ever decide to do so, if it is
tarnished. Thanks for all help in advance.

Mark

If you wish to reply, send to:

JollyOne25 at stny dot rr dot com

Old August 11th 03, 09:57 PM
MarkR

"MarkR" wrote in message
[...]

What I'm trying to get at here is, should I be worried about the toning or
just let it happen as it will? Thanks again.

Old August 12th 03, 03:35 AM
MarkR

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in message
"MarkR" wrote in message
snip
These tupperwear
containers are stored under my bed in a cool setting

snip

Even on Friday night?

LOL, and what's that supposed to mean?

Mark

Old August 12th 03, 03:41 AM
MarkR

"MarkR" wrote in message
[...]

Actually above should read Australian Lunar Coins, not Chinese. Sorry.

Old August 12th 03, 03:16 PM
Edward McGrath

Mark, the plastic tupperware containers probably contain PVCs. Try
e-mailing the tupperware company consumer service department and asking
them if the containers you are using contain PVCs. PVCs emit gases that
can ruin and artificially tone coins.

Old August 12th 03, 04:43 PM
J. A. McNerney

Edward McGrath wrote:

Mark, the plastic tupperware containers probably contain PVCs. Try
e-mailing the tupperware company consumer service department and asking
them if the containers you are using contain PVCs. PVCs emit gases that
can ruin and artificially tone coins.

Many silver coins tone around the rim because they were handled by the rim before you received them. If you are using any type of paper, cardboard or wood in storage (black
sturdy card, scuff resistant box) this may also be the cause.

JAM
Old August 12th 03, 06:53 PM
MarkR

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
Mark, the plastic tupperware containers probably contain PVCs. Try
e-mailing the tupperware company consumer service department and asking
them if the containers you are using contain PVCs. PVCs emit gases that
can ruin and artificially tone coins.

I was told that the tupperware containers were safe if they were made with a
certain type of plastic and these containers are. Now I'm confused. If I
don't store them in tupperware, then what? Thanks.

Mark

Old August 12th 03, 09:15 PM
Craton

What I'm trying to get at here is, should I be worried about the toning or
just let it happen as it will? Thanks again.

Mark

Mark,
Silver tones.
What I would do if I were you would be to sit back and enjoy it. Toning
isn't a bad thing and if yours is toning around the rims only, it is
certainly a good thing!
If you (not you literally, I mean anyone) are lucky enough to have
spent issue price on some of the US silver eagles that are starting to
tone colors around the rim, you are headed for big profit if you intend
to sell down the road.
I have had rainbow type bulls eye toning on some of them and spent $12
dollars and sold for $50 the very next day. I have seen some of them
sell on Teletrade for sickening amounts .... one sold for $300 or $500
(can't remember which)!!!
Enjoy it, toning is beautiful

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old August 12th 03, 10:44 PM
MarkR

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
Mark, I emailed sterilite plastic company and they told me that their
plastic containers have no PVCs in them and they are safe for coin
storage. www.sterilite.com I hope they are telling the truth......

I was told the same thing about Tupperware, or the Tupperware type
containers. Something about if they have a P or PP inside the recycling
symbol. Another letter was good too, but I checked mine and they have these
letters. I'm not sure what to think now.

Mark