Just bought first Jukebox(s) looking for info

Old April 1st 04, 06:33 PM
Scott T

Default Just bought first Jukebox(s) looking for info

Hi All

I am new to this newsgroup and have just entered the jukebox world. I
have been collecting and working on pinballs for about 10 years and
have always wanted a jukebox for the gameroom. So instead of just
buying one I have acquired seven. The guy I got them from had a two
stall car garage full and needed to make room to park cars. As long
as I leave enough room in the garage for my wife to park her car I'm
OK.

Here is what I have, all early 70's Seeburgs.
1 - 1971 Musical USC-1
1 - 1971 Firestarter USC-2
2 - 1972 Olympian SPS-160
3 - 1973 Matador SPS-2

All are in nice physical condition after some cleaning and all but one
or two work for the most part but have minor (I think) problems. I
know that the jukes from the 50's are more desireable but being in my
early 40's I like the 70's look and it fits more with my gameroom
decor. Not to mention being cheaper and easier to find.

Here are some of the questions I have. I am fairly mechanically
inclined and have electronic expierience as an Electronics Technician
for a power company.

1. Where can I find information either on the internet or books that
will explain how these jukeboxes work. Mostly looking for info on the
mechanics and how to make adjustments and lubricate the works.

2. One of the Matadors will select a record, start to play it and then
reject it. I assume there is some sort of contact switch that makes
contact when the record is being played is this correct?

3. Another Matador will only select and play the B side of the
records. When I select a number that starts with 1 it will search and
never pick up a record. Is there an adjustment for this?

4. One of the Olympians will select and play the correct record but
the lighted numbers never match what is being played. Is this another
easy adjustment?

5. The Firestarter seems to work as it should but sometimes when the
player is searching for a record it will slow down and jerk a few
times before moving smoothly again. It looks like something needs to
be tightened to get the gear to fit better with the grooves on the
rail, can this be adjusted?

I haven't dug to deep into these problems and can maybe fix them with
some help from books if I have the right documation but would
appreciate any help.

Thanks
Scott

PS
I live in NW Iowa and only plan on keeping one or two of these so if
anyone near me is interested I will be selling the others after I get
them working better.
Old April 1st 04, 06:50 PM
Ebeneezer Geezer

go to Tony Miller's website for Seeburg troubleshooting.

The FireStar USC-2 is an awesome sounding box for my money. Arguably one of
the best sounding, although I still like the HF100R....

Old April 1st 04, 11:04 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Victory Glass Corporation in Waukee, Iowa is the best place to purchase
service manuals for jukes. There are very few manuals available for free on
the net. Try www.victoryglass.com.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Hi All

Old April 2nd 04, 04:17 AM
Bob E.

Scott T wrote:

Here is what I have, all early 70's Seeburgs.
1 - 1971 Musical USC-1
1 - 1971 Firestarter USC-2
2 - 1972 Olympian SPS-160
3 - 1973 Matador SPS-2

That's "FireSTAR", we hope it isn't going to be starting any fires
for you...

Go to www.alwaysjukin.com and have a look at their reference books,
or even subscribe to Always Jukin', I look forward to getting mine
every month. Harold Hagen's reference books are compilations of his
columns over the years, a wealth of technical material.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old April 2nd 04, 04:41 PM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

being an Olympian owner myself

the one in question that plays the correct record but the display is wrong
you need to adjust the upper contact bar located near the top of the mech
behind the middle light (the one that lights up the title strips) and the
contact on top of the mech itself. it might be a bear to get to due to the
limited space in these "Compact" Phonographs

this should solve the problem of the selection lights

Jim W

Old April 3rd 04, 05:36 PM
Ken Layton

Go to Always Jukin and/or Victory Glass (www.victoryglass.com) to order the
service manuals. These are not cheap photocopies, but rather brand new offset
printed with clear pictures.

Tony Miller has an excellent Seeurg troubleshooting site especially the models
you mentioned as he was in the factory service dept and helped design some of
the electronics.
Old April 3rd 04, 06:09 PM
Ken Layton

Tony Miller's troubleshooting site: http://home.pacbell.net/fmillera/
Old April 5th 04, 04:19 AM
Joe

The 70's Seeburgs sound great, when everything is "right"

Like others have said, go to Tony Miller's site. Check out Ron Rich's
troubleshooting guide that is listed there, and order it. It is
"great" for repairing these jukes, and Ron himself is very helpful
over the net. I would like to get Tony's amp book too sometime here
soon.

Before you play around too much, just remember to "TURN OFF the power
before plugging/unplugging any connector" as total destruction of
componentry can result!

The one that only picks up records on one side (ie 200's), this is
probably due to "dirty contact rivets" on the tormat, or
dirty/misadjusted contact readout block points that ride over these
same rivets. Take off the front lower door, lay on the floor in the
"Seeburg position" =), and look up at the tormat (long strip of
plastic with two rows of small "tits") Take a clean cloth and wipe the
tits with some plastic safe contact cleaner, then clean off with an
eraser any leftover dirt/grease. Try it now to see if records will be
selected. If progress is made, try cleaning it again. If no progress
is made, it may be the points that ride over the tits are
worn/dirty/pitted. That is another story , so try the rivet cleaning
first.

Let us know how you are making out.

Yours, Joe
Old April 6th 04, 04:51 PM
Scott T

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked at Tony Millers website and
found alot of useful information and think I will order one of his books.
Has anyone seen the repair video from
the gameroom magazine website. It is from Retro Rock-Its Mike Snodgrass
and he shows how to clean and repair a USC2 Bandshell. Just wondering if
it is worth getting.

After doing some cleaning on the machines that were not fully working I
have made some progress. I still have a problem with one of the Matadors
which will sometimes (but not always) start to play a record and then
reject it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.
Scott

PS
Now if I could just figure out how to easily get these into the basement.

Old April 8th 04, 06:05 AM
Happy Seeburg Olympian Owner

on you matador check the switch on the mech from the back of the
machine it will be on the left hand side as you look at the tone arm
make sure the magnet hasnt fallen off and is stuck in there this is what
trips if at the end of the record. or see if this does not have a broken
wire.

Jim W

Have I bought a fake? Mikey Autographs 5 December 7th 04 07:52 PM
Looking for the guy in Belleville Ontario that bought a 1017 hidaway pinballguy Juke Boxes 0 March 24th 04 01:47 AM
SuCCeSSeS - TTM / BOUGHT Todd F. Autographs 0 February 10th 04 10:17 AM
Any interest in Regatta Jukebox's Troy Juke Boxes 2 January 29th 04 05:06 AM
FS:CDM Pro for Rowe CD100 Jukeboxs. KLR Juke Boxes 1 July 22nd 03 08:09 PM