Chiller Theater - NJ/NYC

Old October 31st 04, 01:30 AM
Patrick

Default Chiller Theater - NJ/NYC

Hey Guys,

Did anyone go to Chiller Theater this weekend? I tried...got there at 1pm and
was told they were sold out of tickets for the rest of the day and there was a
massive line waiting for tickets for Sunday. Guess I'll have to pre-order next
time! Very disappointed. How sucky is that?!

Thanks,
~Patrick
Old October 31st 04, 10:50 PM
Tommy \2Lipz\

This is part of the email I sent to Todd about Chiller:

Watta horrible horrible show. I may never go on a Saturday ever again. Will
try switching to Friday or take my chances on Sunday. Sometimes they don't
come back on Sunday, but whatever.
I got there at 10, an hour before the show opened. Got a parking spot on the
hotel 2nd level - no charge for parking as usual. So an hour early, but at
11 AM, waited another 40 minutes in the advance ticket line to get the
wristbracelet ID. Then waited a little over 2 hours in the tent line. By
then I was dehydrated, had to pi$$, starving - mark "D" all the above. I was
by myself. I woulda lost my spot in line to go do personal biz and eat. If
there was ever a next time I'm thinking of packing water, food and my
folding camp chair. Some peeps [in line] stayed at the hotel and said the
line wait was 20 min on Friday evening and it seemed all the guests were
there.

Chiller stopped selling walk-in tickets around 2. Supposedly 10,000 people
were there. Can you even imagine? There was an over hour wait to get into
the dealer rooms on the 2nd floor of the hotel. Unbelievable! My feet were
killing me, I passed on that.

There were 2 tents. One was strickly celebs. The other had Marshall,
Williams, Cassidy, and a few others. The rest was dealers. Just a few minute
wait to get in there. Marshall was puffing out back. Watta chain smoker.
Just like when I met them at the HCS. She was holding up the works by taking
smoke breaks a lot.

The prices are getting way out of line. I got stopped by 2 security guys
from taking a photo of the $$ list at Marshall and Williams table. I
couldn't take a photo of the TABLE! Those women were charging $40 each
thiers, $30 yours, $20 for a fan pic. They had memoriblia they would both
sign for $80-90.

I tried cajoling and negotiating each one for reduced cost because it IS A
FAN PIC! God most of them are greedy ****s. I got a "new" digi camera. Hand
me down from a friend that never used it much. Some of the pics I am sending
suffer from my lack of practice. It doesn't flash too far.

Here's your breakdown:

[I snipped the money part]

Penny Marshall- break for fan pic. [I got her pic and lips at the HCS a
couple years back]

Cindy Williams - break for fan pic. [I got her pic and lips at the HCS a
couple years back]

Both looked tired. Prices being what they are - no line, no crowd. Only 2 in
front of me. No pic w/o charging. This coulda cost $60 if they charged full
price. The handler was an efficient asshole. 4 security guys and 4 show
people assigned to them + each had 2 assistants. They had more people for
them than in LA that I remember.

Catherine Bach - no break. She charges for EVERYTHING. Has her own lip print
cards ($20). See is looking a little thick now a days. Well none of us is
getting any younger. Medium line. Waited about 10 minutes to get to her.
Handler screen your items and took money. He was hawking her items like it
was some damn sideshow. She was getting a work out coming from behind the
table for the paid fan pic. She shoulda stayed where she was and had the fan
walk around. [Sorry, her history just doesn't warrant the prices. I'll wait
a bit longer]

Tiffany - gave a break. Said remembers you. Says Hi. Impressed by the pic
and the backing. She's pretty fan friendly. Got a lot of handlers at her
table doing the pick pic, money, fan pic op. Pretty organized. [Todd got her
pic (nude Playboy) and lips at the HCS for me this year]

Ernie Hudson - knocked off $5. He came out for a restroom break and crowd
was whooping and hollering at him. Was dressed like a GhostBuster. Quite a
few show peeps dressed the same w/equipment. Real fan friendly guy, but no
line, no crowd. Walked right up.

Dean Stockwell - no break. He's kinda a cocky fella. Guy in front brings
paper from a cartoon asking him to sign. Stockwell say he never did a
voiceover for a cartoon. Where did he get his info. Guy says Internet Movie
Database. Stockwell says they are full of $hit and fu*ked up. Never has done
that that he remembers. Sort of a little argument and Stockwell is obviously
ticked about it. Guy leave empty handed. I get Stockwell agitated. Welcome
him to NJ. Tell him that a friend of mine in LA met him at a show there and
sent this pic. I show it to him. He likes it and eases up a bit. Takes your
post-it and sticks it on his head. Got a pic of that. Didn't turn out too
good, but you can see it a bit. No line, no crowd. 2 peeps in front of me
when I got there.

Julie Benz - no break. No line, no crowd. [Sorry, her history just doesn't
warrant the prices. I'll wait a bit longer]

Billy Mumy - no break. Impressed by your pic quality. No line, no crowd.
[LIS celebs are getting market saturation IMHO]

Sam J Jones - charged half. Nice guy. No line, no crowd.

Candace Kita - Asked her to hold the pic, took the shot, then she asked for
$10 - it was too late to stop. I coulda had her witness my deleting the pic,
BWTH. No line, no crowd. She was slow as most of the "babes"

Linda Blair - knocked off $5. Same as usual. Save the animals and promoting
a new vegan lifestyle book. 10 peep line.

I got Cassandra Peterson. Had 3 posters signed. She is always nice. Her
[blouse] button popped open when I was at her table and there was a little
scrambling to hold herself in and button up. Funny. $20 each to sign even if
they weren't her authorized posters. Same pics as on the collector plate
issue in 20x22 format. Nice. [Said she was doing the Sunday Today show. I
wonder. She is always fashionably late and an early morning show to boot -
in full makeup. One day I hope to see that. She still looks pretty HOT at
54!]

Lori Nelson. Signed my "Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair" OS poster. She said
she has the half sheet and hasn't seen a full sheet ever for sale. She was
surprised that I got that for $35 on the web [not eBay]. Got a lip print.
Her husband was at the table and 1st he "acted" offended. He was pretty nice
guy. Got a leggy pic signed by her also.

That was all I got.

My extra comment - At each show I guess the advertising is hitting home and
the crowds are getting larger and larger. The fire marshall minions are
watching like a hawk for room capacities and that is what is slowing up the
lines. I can't blame fans for wanting a little chit chat w/the celebs.
Guilty of that myself. I don't know if there is a way to speed it up w/o
making it more of a money orientated event than it already is. Next time I
will try a Friday and see how that goes. Maybe take a half day vacation and
pop over. Saturday is a madhouse.

--
Tommy "2Lipz"
See my website http://lipprint.tripod.com

Old October 31st 04, 11:50 PM
Todd F.

Thanks for getting the sigs man. I really appreciate it. The only
thing that I don't understand, mentioned in reply to you via email, is the
enormous amount of people who goto Chiller is insane. Is it a thing to do?
Just to go and walk around? It takes several hours waiting in line because
there are 1000s of people waiting, yet the autograph lines don't take as
much time to get through. I guess the people who goto this show don't go
for autographs as much and are going for other reasons. I think they should
seperate the autographs from whatever other reasons people goto the show.
It's insane, and I really appreciate you obtaining those autograph for me.

Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com

Old November 1st 04, 06:08 AM
Tommy \2Lipz\

No prob getting the sigs. You've done for me, least I can do for you.

Chiller is an autograph and dealer venue just about like the HCS. The fans
come to get an autograph and buy stuff. There are concert(s) and movies
during the show at diff times, but the celeb meet and greet is the thang.

The Chiller Halloween event is the BIG one. Peeps come all dressed up as
their fav character, ghoul, whatever. That part is small potatoes compared
to DragonCon in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend. Now THAT is a show/program
over 4 days, but it's better controlled, better policed, larger venue (the
Peachtree Hyatt AND Marriott hotels) more programming (wrestling, drumming,
sci-fi & NASA, 24 hour anime/movie screenings, lots of live concerts, RPG,
robo-battles, Costume Parade thru downtown, the Dawn contest, you name
it) - just better all around for things to do besides getting autographs and
buying stuff.

Your right about it being insane. I sent you a stitched panorama digi of the
tent line peeps from the spring show. It was bad then and worse now. It gets
worse w/every show. Early on, before the fire marshal intervention, there
were lines and we were packed in like sardines. If there were ever an
"incident", the resulting stampede could kill or injure hundreds when inside
the hotel. If you've been to shows from last year or earlier, you know I am
not kidding. A little smoke or pepper spray and PANDEMONIUM. The upper floor
hallways are narrow and it gets hot when there are hundreds of sweating
people nose to tail waiting waiting waiting.......The dealer rooms -
fugedaboutit. NJ peeps can be really rude in stopping and clogging the
aisles just talking. Move to the wall people, there are others w/cash that
want to buy something. I don't mind peeps perusing the merchandise, but if
you ain't buying or looking- get the heck outta the way. I didn't go to the
dealer rooms this time, but if the crowd was anything like the tents, then
Chiller has cleaned it up a lot. The downside is we are now all outside
waiting forever to get in.

Like the quote from Jaws "We need a bigger boat!" The HCS moved from the
Beverly Garland Holiday Inn because they got too big. Chiller has gone that
way too. The population density in most northern NJ counties is +3700 per
square mile and NYC is just on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel and
ferries from Port Imperial in Weekhawken (the hotel is only few exits away).
Lots of NY peeps at the show. NYC ain't no rural outpost - yanno? I am sure
there were peeps from everywhere there too.

I was having some fun in this hobby, then some a**hole sends anthrax thru
the mail and knocks the wind out of TTM collecting. Now w/money fueling
B-list and non-working "celebs", coupled with the promoters, are killing
live shows. Just my observation and 2 cents.