Looking for a digital perf guage.

Old June 15th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Looking for a digital perf guage.

Any recommendations? links?
Thanks.

Old June 15th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 14, 7:53*pm, "rodney" wrote:
Any recommendations? *links?
Thanks.

Rod:

I thought you already had one. 8*)

http://www.geocities.com/dakshina_ka...nload/perf.htm
http://www.geocities.com/dakshina_ka...nload/perf.pdf

Blair

Old June 15th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Blair,
I do have one in MSWord,
but looking for others on the market, to compare.
I am also looking for "ebay for dummies",
I am going to have a flutter and sell my first flight covers through ebay,
I would like to be prepared.

Old June 15th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Rodney,

I am not sure what you mean by digital. If you mean electronic, there
is only one I know of and it is expensive and I am not sure how well
it measures, especially on covers. Here are two sources for Safe
Perfotronic gauge (prices are about the same):

http://www.safecoinandstamp.com/node/182
http://www.subwaystamp.com/prodinfo....mber=ASA9850SP

If you mean plastic, this one measures in decimals and is probably one
of the better ones:
http://www.amosadvantage.com/scotton...egory=PRFGG E

I have used this Stanley Gibbons gauge and was satisfied with it:
http://shop.stanleygibbons.com/index...age=gift_ideas

Note that any perf gauge you 'print' yourself may not be accurate
enough due to paper, ink, etc.. However, if that is what you mean
then here is a page of Google 'digital perforation gauge':
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...au ge&spell=1

For the book "eBay for Dummies" I would look at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...mies&x=12&y=18

I did notice some on-line eBooks, here is one:
http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/110428-ebook.htm

Other stamp buying / selling sites a
DelCampe: http://stamps.delcampe.com/page/main/language,E.html
StampWants: http://www.stampwants.com/

I know some 'sellers' that used to do well on eBay left and are now on
StampWants.

I don't know whether any of this is what you mean or even if it
helps. But, here it is anyways.

Jerry B
Old June 15th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Hi Jerry,
thanks very much, I'll go through your post after this.
I am not sure if I am lazy or what, but the plastic perf guages are a pain,
and I wanted something more accurate.
The "safe" would be ideal, if it works as advertised. Anybody use one?

I was after a "digital" perf guage, where software takes the scan
and overlays the image.
However, I can see flaws after downloading a couple, because
generally I scan at 600dpi, but that is not rigid, also I crop
after alignment, so the dpi or the 100% may change.

So it is back to the plastic for the moment.

Thanks for the book links, that could be helpful, I also want to
advertise ebay "locally" so that buyers can pick up from home,
I have a dozen or so Pentium 4 computers etc.

I may ring the chappie at Ace auctions, he has a lot of Stanley Gibbons gear
and he may give me a straight appraisal on the worth of the "safe" guage.
(and some hints on their expensive wmk detector)

Cheers Jerry.
Rodney

Old June 15th 09, 10:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"rodney" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Hi Jerry,
thanks very much, I'll go through your post after this.
I am not sure if I am lazy or what, but the plastic perf guages are a
pain,
and I wanted something more accurate.
The "safe" would be ideal, if it works as advertised. Anybody use one?

Hi from Bavaria,

I bought the SAFE perfotronic some years ago and in my opinion it works very
well, but I do not use it very often :-).

An anaolog one You can also get from SAFE:

http://www.hausderbriefmarke.de/de/s...b3ce79822d9a77

Perfotronic is listed here by SAFE:

http://www.safe-album.de/fuer-briefm...erfotronic.php

I do not know a better one.

kind regards and all the best from Bavaria

Gerhard

Old June 15th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks very much Gerhard.
$500 (phew!)

"Gerhard Reichert"

Old June 15th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Gerhard,

does it tell you: 14.13 or does it round off to just 14.00 or 14.25???

groetjes, Rein

Op Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:59:10 +0200 schreef Gerhard Reichert
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 15th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Rodney,

There is a perforation gauge in a little hinged box. The gauge has
'pins' against which you place the stamp. It works very well. the
exception is that if the stamp perfs are 'ratty', like Mexico
numerals, then plastic is the way to go. I cannot find my gauge so I
cannot supply a link. Somebody here might be able to. I have found
that using this device I place the stamp face down as the 'pin' fit
shows up better. I think there was a discussion in RCSD about this
gauge.

I do not have a scanner so this may be a dumb idea. Scan in one of
the plastic gauges and after scanning and adjusting, enlarging, etc.
the stamp apply the same procedures to the scanned in gauge, i.e.;
make the gauge scale the same as the stamp. To me the box gauge is
the easiest way to go.

If you think it is boring to perf stamps, try going thru hundreds of
Brazil stamps. In this case the box works well

Jerry B

Old June 15th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:33:15 -0700, jerry wrote:

If you mean plastic, this one measures in decimals and is probably one
of the better ones:
http://www.amosadvantage.com/scottonline/product.asp?

part_no=LIN01&tab=stamp&category=PRFGGE

I absolutely concur. I would trust the piece of plastic (http://tr.im/
oATF) over a digital gauge with black-box innards every time. It, a pair
of gold-plated Showgard 902 tongs (http://tr.im/oASx), and a bottle of
Ronsonol (http://tr.im/oASX) are, IMO, the only truly indispensable stamp
collecting tools, and you can get all three for about US$20 total.
Compare that to a $50 loupe, a $200 shortwave UV lamp, or the ridiculous
$300 Italian leather valise I use to carry the above in. :^)

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth