Ben Franklin Commemoratives not shipping until the end of April?

Old January 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Ben Franklin Commemoratives not shipping until the end of April?

Harv wrote:

Like when ordering from the Vatican. Apparently that
US law doesn't apply to them

Surprising, isn't it? ;-) Well, I am not terribly happy with the UFN's
"advance payment" policy either. But as you wrote, even with several
weeks between the payment and the delivery, buying directly from them is
much less expensive than buying from third parties. I just want the
pieces for my collection, not for possibly selling them later, and thus
don't actually care when they arrive. Better to deal with them this way
than if the Vatican outsourced the coin sales. In the latter case, the
initial price of a set or coin would almost certainly be higher ...

Christian
Old January 19th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:51:46 GMT, "Harv" wrote:

I can't remember recent examples of any one-day sellouts but I believe

there
have been a couple.

I believe the Connecticut quarter mini-bags sold out in a little over
5 hours.

This thrilled the RCC Connecticut Quarter Cartel until we learned a
few days later that the Mint sold over 70,000 bags in those 5 hours,
well above the 10,000 bag limit for the first 4 States Quarters.

Yeah I totally forgot that Buffalo coin. There was someone who had said a
while back that they have never sold anything out in a day but now that he
mentions it I do remember those Buffalos were quite popular back then--they
seem to be holding their values also.
And why would people rush out to get CT mint-bags? That is wierd.

Old January 19th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"bri" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Buffalo Dollars have dropped a bit from their $200.00+ high, down to $150.00
to $160.00. So Alan Williams still doesn't have one.

Because the first two, Delaware and Pennsylvania were re-selling for $500 to
$1000 on eBay and many people thought the Connecticut bags would do the
same, but like Phil said, 70,000 of those versus 10,000 each of the first
two.. I remember the morning the Connecticut bags went on sale, it was like
a few days ago when the Ben Franklin Dollars went on sale.. the Web site
melted down and was impossible to get onto, and the phone lines were busy
for hours. I missed out on buyng a Delaware bag or 12 at issue price but I
bought a couple Pennsylvanias from the Mint and re-sold them for uhh.. many
hundreds. Then after Connecticut, the whole mini-bag fever kind of
collapsed, and only the first two held their high values. I was buying all
of them as they came out, and unloaded them all in a single auction some
time ago, but doubled my investment. Most of the ones I had were still
sealed in the little Priority Mail boxes the Mint was using at that time. I
haven't bought any State Quarter mini-bags since Georgia, whenever that was.
I didn't even bother re-selling it. I opened it to search for errors, found
none, tubed the coins, and spent them.

Harv

Old January 19th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Bob Flaminio wrote:
Harv wrote:
All of them are marked "product available for shipping 4/30/2006"..
what the!?

Did i finally get onto the US Mint's site too late? Did anyone who
got on earlier see the same three and a half month wait or did they
sell so many earlier today that now new orders are pushed back that
far?

Me too. When I started the tortuous process of ordering my BF Bucks, the
shipping date was 2/1/2006. By the time I had finished, it had slipped
to 4/30.

Me three. I ordered today so I can get the Silver Proof Quarters
on the same $5 per-order shipping charge. (I would have waited until
February to put the Silver Eagles on the same order, but the Franklins
might be sold out by then.)

At this point, I'll be happy if I get them at all.

Likewise...here we go again like the Marine commemorative, I
hope not :-(
BTW weren't there supposed to be two Franklin commems? I can't
find anything on the Mint schedule about the second one.

Old January 19th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Merlin Dorfman wrote:

BTW weren't there supposed to be two Franklin commems? I can't
find anything on the Mint schedule about the second one.

Nevermind, I found the second coin and had it added to my
order.

Old January 19th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hello,

I picked up a couple Vatican coin sets from a dealer in Frankfurt a
couple years ago. I'm having trouble finding a reference for the
current value of these. Don't recall exactly which sets I have. Could
someone point me to a price list?

adTHANKSvance

David

Old January 19th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:27:47 GMT, "bri" wrote:

And why would people rush out to get CT mint-bags? That is wierd.

Visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.

The Mint sold 10,000 mini-bags for each of the first four States
Quarters and all eventually sold out. Just prior to the release of the
Connecticut bags there was a lot of buzz here in RCC as the previous
bags were selling for rificulously high prices on eBay (the Deleware
bags got up to $1000 or more). The possibility of turning a $35.50
investment into several hundred dollars is what fueled the frenzy.

Of course, nobody knew the Mint would suddenly raise the mintage
figure seven fold....THUD!

Old January 19th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:27:47 GMT, "bri" wrote:

And why would people rush out to get CT mint-bags? That is wierd.

Visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads.

The Mint sold 10,000 mini-bags for each of the first four States
Quarters and all eventually sold out. Just prior to the release of the
Connecticut bags there was a lot of buzz here in RCC as the previous
bags were selling for rificulously high prices on eBay (the Deleware
bags got up to $1000 or more). The possibility of turning a $35.50
investment into several hundred dollars is what fueled the frenzy.

Of course, nobody knew the Mint would suddenly raise the mintage
figure seven fold....THUD!

Which reminds me. Back when the first couple states were making the
rounds the word was the Treasury would do ~750 M of each state at each
mint. I saw by my 2006 Red Book that that lofty goal has slid
considerably, which would make the "rare" Delaware quarters among the
most common.

Old January 19th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Reverend Pope wrote:

I picked up a couple Vatican coin sets from a dealer in Frankfurt a
couple years ago. I'm having trouble finding a reference for the
current value of these. Don't recall exactly which sets I have. Could
someone point me to a price list?

Not really a price list but eBay price statistics for 2005 and 2006,
covering the proof and BU sets issued since 2002:

(2005) http://www.silvas.de/2005Vatikan.htm
(2006) http://www.silvas.de/Vatikan.htm

(KMS = mint set, KW = calendar week, stgl = BU, PP = proof)

Christian
Old January 19th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Reverend Pope" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I picked up a couple Vatican coin sets from a dealer in Frankfurt a
couple years ago. I'm having trouble finding a reference for the
current value of these. Don't recall exactly which sets I have. Could
someone point me to a price list?

adTHANKSvance

David

Are they Euro (2002 and after).. or pre-Euro coins?

Harv