A substitute for Un-du?

Old September 26th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan Sachs[_2_]

Default A substitute for Un-du?

Throughout my involvement with old and used books I've been told that
Un-du is the best all-around product for removing shelving labels and
similar junk.

I recently decided that the time had come to buy some, but I couldn't
find it. Finally I called the manufacturer and learned that it has
been withdrawn from the market due to environmental regulations.

Now what? Is there another product I cam try on a label that Bestine
and alcohol just won't remove?
Old September 27th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
Throughout my involvement with old and used books I've been told that
Un-du is the best all-around product for removing shelving labels and
similar junk.

I recently decided that the time had come to buy some, but I couldn't
find it. Finally I called the manufacturer and learned that it has
been withdrawn from the market due to environmental regulations.

Now what? Is there another product I cam try on a label that Bestine
and alcohol just won't remove?

Lighter fluid?

I've used nothing else, for years. Let it soak into the label for a few
seconds, then left the label. If there's any residue, put a couple drops
on a soft tissue (NOT a cotton ball) and dab carefully.
I see someone claiming that Un-Du is the same thing as "Grip Solvent" used
on golf clubs.

Here's the MSDS for Un-Du, so you can find a similar product:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

Kris

Old September 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan Sachs[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:06:10 GMT, "Kris Baker"
wrote:

Lighter fluid?... I've used nothing else, for years. Let it soak into
the label for a few seconds, then left the label.

Thank you... you sound experienced, so perhaps you can help me
brainstorm this.

The labels that give me the most trouble have a layer of metal foil
between the paper and the adhesive. I think they're meant to trigger
alarms if someone tries to sneak a book out of the library. Soaking
the label doesn't work, because the foil is solvent-proof.

With these labels I get the best results by soaking a cotton swab in
solvent and running it along the line of separation as I peel the
label back. This works well if the solvent dissolves the adhesive
effectively, but Bestine isn't very effective with the adhesive on
most of these labels, and alcohol doesn't work at all.

Here's the MSDS for Un-Du, so you can find a similar product:...

That's informative, but discouraging -- it says that the stuff is
90-100% heptane, which is the primary ingredient of... Bestine.

I think I'd better try your lighter fluid suggestion. I found
references that say the composition of lighter fluid is variable,
though, so different brands may well produce different results. What
brand have you found to work well?
Old September 27th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

wrote:

[...]

Ronson, in the yellow plastic bottle. Mostly naptha and petroleum
distillates. Something else you might try is Thoro, available in the
cleaning sections of grocery stores. It's the same as dry cleaning fluid,
a bit like the Ronsonol.....but has different solvent properties.
Goo-Gone's got coloring in it, so avoid that. If you read the MSDS for it
and lighter fluid, you'll get a big surprise.

Those labels you're fighting are about the toughest things going. As long
as you can carefully peel slowly, the Ronsonol should lift them.

Kris

Old September 27th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

wrote:

[...]

Kris- Hide quoted text -

Plus Kris prefers the piquant headiness of the Ronsonol over the
citrus overkill of Goo Gone.

Old September 30th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

Many labels can be removed by using an iron on a warm-to-hot setting
and letting the adhesive get warm enough until it loosens.

Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
http://www.rspearson.com/

Old September 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"RS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Many labels can be removed by using an iron on a warm-to-hot setting
and letting the adhesive get warm enough until it loosens.

And then you use a solvent to get rid of the residue?

Old September 30th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan Sachs[_2_]

"RS" wrote

Many labels can be removed by using an iron on a warm-to-hot setting
and letting the adhesive get warm enough until it loosens.

I've heard of this method but have not had the nerve to try it yet.
If I use it successfully on ten disposable books, what are the chances
that it will fail disasterously the first time I try it on a valuable
one... or the second time, or the third...?

Seriously, any guidance on what constitutes "warm-to-hot"? My iron is
marked "Low, Syn, Steam, Wool, Cot, Lin, Hi.
Old September 30th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
"RS" wrote

Many labels can be removed by using an iron on a warm-to-hot setting
and letting the adhesive get warm enough until it loosens.

I've heard of this method but have not had the nerve to try it yet.
If I use it successfully on ten disposable books, what are the chances
that it will fail disasterously the first time I try it on a valuable
one... or the second time, or the third...?

Seriously, any guidance on what constitutes "warm-to-hot"? My iron is
marked "Low, Syn, Steam, Wool, Cot, Lin, Hi.

Murphy's Law still exists; I wouldn't apply heat directly
to any paper item.

But I give you points for being able to remember what
your iron's markings are.

Kris

Old October 3rd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan Sachs[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 03:35:04 GMT, "Kris Baker"
wrote:

Ronson, in the yellow plastic bottle. Mostly naptha and petroleum
distillates. Something else you might try is Thoro...

I haven't found Thoro yet, but I got some Ronson lighter fluid
yesterday, and it works VERY nicely on those foil labels. It seems to
dissolve the coloring on some covers more aggressively than Bestine
does, though. No obvious damage to the books, but the paper towel
ended up red.

Substitute money stonej Coins 3 February 15th 06 07:56 PM
Bearer checks substitute for currency in Zimbabwe stonej Coins 0 January 4th 06 02:40 PM
Bearer checks substitute for currency in Zimbabwe stonej Paper Money 0 January 4th 06 02:40 PM
USPS seeks substitute postmasters Don General Discussion 0 October 16th 05 08:20 PM