Pop Survey

Old July 25th 04, 08:07 PM
Bluesea

Default Pop Survey

Since we've been on the topic of ink recently, another Pop Survey to
correspond is appropriate.

Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green, purple,
and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your pen(s)?

Me:

Black - Noodler's in a Namiki Falcon & a Core, and Sheaffer in a Safari
Blue-Black - Pelikan in a Falcon, Sheaffer in a Core, and the Swisher
contract mix in a Pilot Ecrino
Blue - Noodler's in a Phileas, Waterman in a Core, and Swisher contract blue
in an Ecrino
Red - Pilot in an Ecrino, Parker in a Core, Swisher Hellbender Red in a
Viewpoint, and Noodler's Widow Maker in a Phileas
Green - Sheaffer in a Phileas
Purple - Pelikan Violet in a Core
Turquoise - Pelikan in a Vanishing Point & a Core, and a Montblanc/Sheaffer
mix in a Falcon.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 25th 04, 08:32 PM
mz

Bluesea wrote:
Since we've been on the topic of ink recently, another Pop Survey to
correspond is appropriate.

Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green, purple,
and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your pen(s)?

1.) Quink blue-black in an Estie Dip-Less inkwell
2.) Skrip red (old style) in another Estie Dip-Less inkwell
3.) Skrip burgundy in an Aiken-Lambert BCHR LF

Mark Z.
Old July 25th 04, 09:24 PM
G. L. Pease

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:07:04 -0700, Bluesea wrote
(in message ):

Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green, purple,
and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your pen(s)?

Red(ish): Noodler's Ottoman Rose - Skyline and Parker Sonnet*
Green: Noolder's Sequoia - Pelikan 140
Purple: Campo Marzio Violette (Pelikan 400NN) and Noodler's La Colour
Royale (Waterman 52)

The closest thing to black or blue-black would be Noodler's Nightshade,
which is really neither, but a fascinating colour that's almost black...

*This particular Sonnet doesn't perform well with anything but Parker's
Quink. Wonderful, semi-flexible nib, but the feed is insufficent to
prevent starvation with saturated inks. Maybe I'll try a wetting agent in
the Ottoman Rose next.

-glp

--
Gregory Pease
G. L. Pease Tobaccos

Visit the Blender's Notebook: http://www.glpease.com/BlendersNotebook
Read the latest - Aged, or just Old - Vintage Tobaccos and Cigars

Old July 25th 04, 09:41 PM
Bluesea

"mz" wrote in message

... Aiken-Lambert BCHR LF

What's that? I don't recall seeing or hearing about it before.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 26th 04, 12:23 AM
mz

Bluesea wrote:

"mz" wrote in message

... Aiken-Lambert BCHR LF

What's that? I don't recall seeing or hearing about it before.

First off, the correct spelling is Aikin Lambert Co. Sorry
about that.

Aikin Lambert Co., which also sometimes used "ALCo.,"
started as a jewelry manufacturer in 1864 and began making
FPs in the 1890s. It was absorbed by L.E. Waterman in 1932.
Aikin Lambert made mechanical pencils for Waterman until
1920 or 1921. Aikin Lambert was known for the high quality
of their silver and gold overlays. (Kudos to Lambrou's
"Fountain Pens: United States of America and United Kingdom"
for the info., except for the end date of 1920 for the
Waterman MPs, which came from Schneider's and Fischler's
"The Illustrated Guide to Antique Writing Instruments.")

The black, chased, hard rubber (BCHR) LF in my collection
dates to the early to mid-1920s. (ALCo. also made safeties
and eyedroppers.) It's the spitting image of a Waterman No.
52 of the same vintage, right down to the two rivets on the
pocket clip and the heart-shaped vent hole on the 14K gold
flexie nib. It differs from the Waterman by using a pin
through the barrel to hold the lever in place (an inherently
weaker structural design) instead of Waterman's familiar
lever box, and the pocket clip has the shape of the "hump"
clip used by Sheaffer starting in the late 1920s, although
this pen pre-dates the Sheaffer clip.

It is stamped "Capitol Cabinet" in addition to the Aikin
Lambert marks, indicating it was made for this other
company. The Lawrences, in their "The 1992 Official P.F.C.
Pen Guide," give the year 1923 for this pen, but I don't
know how they could arrive at such a definitive date unless
there was evidence this was the only year ALCo. made pens
for Capitol Cabinet.

Because of the known relationship between ALCo. and L.E.
Waterman and the undeniable similarity of this pen and
others to the Waterman's of the era, some collectors have
speculated ALCo. made FPs for Waterman in addition to the
MPs. AFAIK, none has definite proof.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old July 26th 04, 01:18 AM
Joshua C Sasmor

In an article, Bluesea wrote:
Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green, purple,
and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your pen(s)?

Visconti Blue in a Sheaffer piston (1940's brown stripe)
Waterman Red in a Reflection (from Things Remembered - el cheapo)
Waterman Violet in a pen I made myself!

Plus a Cross BP/pecil set for those NCR forms I have deal with.

Joshua Sasmor

Joshua C. Sasmor - Pipe-smoker, teacher and mathematician
Home page: http://www.math.pitt.edu/~jcsst18/
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth but supreme beauty.
- BERTRAND RUSSELL
Old July 26th 04, 03:34 AM
Bluesea

I didn't know any of that. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to attend a
pen fair and see a bunch of neat older pens.

Thanks for the info.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 26th 04, 04:08 AM
Tim McNamara

"Bluesea" writes:

Since we've been on the topic of ink recently, another Pop Survey to
correspond is appropriate.

Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green,
purple, and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your
pen(s)?

Black: Sheaffer's Jet Black (Sheaffer plunger filler, Pelikan M400)
Blue-black: none, can't stand the stuff
Blue: Quink (two Snorkels); Waterman (Ink-O-Graph)
Green: none (although I have some PR Avocado and Wintergreen)
Red: none (I do have some Pelikan red and PR Black Cherry)
Purple: ecchhh!
Turquoise: ditto

I don't like to have more than five or so pens loaded at any given
time, one of them invariably sits around too long unused.
Old July 26th 04, 08:50 AM
Juan

G. L. Pease wrote in message ual.NET...
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:07:04 -0700, Bluesea wrote
(in message ):

Question: What brand(s) of black, blue-black, blue, red, green, purple,
and/or turquoise do you currently have loaded in your pen(s)?

Red(ish): Noodler's Ottoman Rose - Skyline and Parker Sonnet*
Green: Noolder's Sequoia - Pelikan 140
Purple: Campo Marzio Violette (Pelikan 400NN) and Noodler's La Colour
Royale (Waterman 52)

The closest thing to black or blue-black would be Noodler's Nightshade,
which is really neither, but a fascinating colour that's almost black...

*This particular Sonnet doesn't perform well with anything but Parker's
Quink. Wonderful, semi-flexible nib, but the feed is insufficent to
prevent starvation with saturated inks. Maybe I'll try a wetting agent in
the Ottoman Rose next.

-glp

Greg?? This is a small world or what? Are fountain pens and pipes
related? I also found Sonam here.

Juan, still amazed

SURVEY TIME: Postage when you started TTM collecting? pe2 Autographs 6 January 21st 05 12:59 PM
SURVEY TIME for kick-off 2005 pe2 Autographs 8 January 10th 05 06:42 AM
Pop Survey Bluesea Pens & Pencils 28 July 16th 04 07:03 PM
Survey Time: Ever lost an autograph? pe2 Autographs 14 June 13th 04 03:50 AM