A substitute for Un-du?

Old October 3rd 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

Default A substitute for Un-du?

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 03:35:04 GMT, "Kris Baker"
wrote:

Ronson, in the yellow plastic bottle. Mostly naptha and petroleum
distillates. Something else you might try is Thoro...

I haven't found Thoro yet, but I got some Ronson lighter fluid
yesterday, and it works VERY nicely on those foil labels. It seems to
dissolve the coloring on some covers more aggressively than Bestine
does, though. No obvious damage to the books, but the paper towel
ended up red.

I usually dab carefully with a really soft tissue or a Viva paper
towel.

The Thoro *should* be on the top shelf in the cleaning products
area of the grocery store. It's a clear liquid, also. It's up there
with the other things that aren't safe for kids.....and if I find out
it's not sold anymore (it IS a hazardous substance!) I'll be
PO'd that I didn't buy an extra. One lasts for years, though.

Kris

Old October 17th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

The iron trick isn't always safe. You have to make
sure it's never very hot or paper will burn or plastic
will melt. I have no idea what the temperature is but
it doesn't have to be very hot. The reason why I like
this is because it avoids having to deal with lighter
fluid, because of the toxicity of it. But some things
only lighter fluid will get off. I use both for different
things.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Old October 26th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jim[_2_]

I don't remember which lighter fuel I used to have, but when I went to
look for it a week or so ago, I discovered that I must have finished
the tin and thrown the empty away. You wouldn't believe how many
places I had to go to get a fresh bottle of Ronsonol. (After all, who
uses a liquid-filled lighter any more?) Happily, since I use it so
seldom, this will last me for a few more years...

Old November 2nd 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
bml

On Sep 26, 8:35 pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:

Ronson, in the yellow plastic bottle. Mostly naptha and petroleum
distillates. Something else you might try is Thoro, available in the
cleaning sections of grocery stores. It's the same as dry cleaning fluid,
a bit like the Ronsonol.....but has different solvent properties.
Goo-Gone's got coloring in it, so avoid that. If you read the MSDS for it
and lighter fluid, you'll get a big surprise.

I just get naptha at the hardware store - a half gallon costs just
a little bit more than a 12 ounce bottle of Ronsonol. I refill my
bottles (plus the bottles of some friends).

A related question - does anyone have a way to remove
masking tape (and some book plates that seem to use
a similar adhesive)? None of the usual solvents seem
to work. [this was discussed a long time ago, but I don't
think any good solutions were presented.]

Brian

Substitute money stonej Coins 3 February 15th 06 07:56 PM
Bearer checks substitute for currency in Zimbabwe stonej Coins 0 January 4th 06 02:40 PM
Bearer checks substitute for currency in Zimbabwe stonej Paper Money 0 January 4th 06 02:40 PM
USPS seeks substitute postmasters Don General Discussion 0 October 16th 05 08:20 PM