Samuel Beckett

Old January 18th 04, 06:43 AM
Bob Riedel

Default Samuel Beckett

Persons familiar with Samuel Beckett's signature might want to take a look at
these, strictly for entertainment purposes:

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
Old January 18th 04, 05:05 PM
Arne Herløv Petersen

Bob Riedel wrote:

Persons familiar with Samuel Beckett's signature might want to take a look at
these, strictly for entertainment purposes:

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat

Here we have the Australian trickster going again. He was exposed when
named Parnassum03 last year. Then he changed his monnicker to
Carmelbooks and was suspended from ebay in October. Lo and behold, the
very next day he joined the happy community once more, now under the
name Grong_Grong. Variously calling himself Carlos Melgar, Jose Agorriz
or some amalgamation of Agorriz-Melgar (and Abelgar, too, it seems),
talking like a ventriloquist to and about himself in the third person
sometimes.

The signatures are nice and flowing and do not look like Beckett
signatures at all, but Grong Grong can always find someone willing to
pay several hundred dollars for his handiwork.

The lucky ones get the actual forgeries. The not so lucky customers just
pay and never see as much as a scrap of paper. If there are too many
negatives, Melgar/Abelgar/Agorriz just sends a lot of positive feedback
to himself, allegedly from happy new customers with zero feedback
themselves (who have mysteriously all joined ebay at the exact same
moment), and if that doesn't work, he disappears and comes back under a
new name (but with the same e-mail address and home address).

And ebay just doesn't seem to care if the things sold are forgeries or
not, as long as the forger pays the fees to ebay.

Arne
Old January 21st 04, 06:02 AM
yipwon

Hello Book collectors,
I would just like to put something straight:

Ebay user grong_grong has nothing to do with Jose Agorriz-Melgar.

Yes - I know the guy. I live in the same area as him, and occasionally see
him at local Antique fairs.
Yes - I have purchased books from him, including a collection of signed
Beckett books that I have been told are fakes.
Yes - I have tried to auction the books on Ebay. The first time (about 3
years ago) - I pulled the auctions after receiving an email that indicated
the signatures were suspect. The second time was just recently - I wrote a
very cautious description and alluded to problems with the signatures. I
don't think I could be accused of trying to deceive anyone.
Yes - I did create the grong_grong user id on the 6th of Oct 2003, around
the same time that Jose Agorriz-Melgar changed his user id from parnassum03
to carmelbooks - this is just an unfortunate coincidence - I have actually
been trading on Ebay for over 3 years using my main id which has over 350
positive (100%) feedbacks - I started grong_grong to sell other things apart
from art, which is my main area of interest.

I had no idea about the alleged fraudulent activities of parnassum03 and
carmelbooks - I thought I was the only one to have been stuck with fake
signatures - now I realise there are many people who have suffered the same
fate. I can only reiterate that I have no connection with either of these
user id's or Jose Agorriz-Melgar (Abelgar).
If anyone has concerns or would like further information, please email me
on:

Regards Scott

Old January 21st 04, 12:32 PM
yipwon

Hi Michael,
It appears I have unwittingly sullied my grong_grong id with a perceived
connection with Jose Agorriz-Melgar - I don't wish to do that with my main
id.
Any doubters can still contact me through my hotmail account or my
grong_grong id.
If you want to contact me using either of those options I will happily tell
you my other id.
Regards Scott

"michael adams" wrote in message

"yipwon" wrote in message

[...]

Which is?

I started grong_grong to sell other things apart
from art, which is my main area of interest.

I had no idea about the alleged fraudulent activities of parnassum03 and
carmelbooks - I thought I was the only one to have been stuck with fake
signatures - now I realise there are many people who have suffered the
same
fate. I can only reiterate that I have no connection with either of

these
user id's or Jose Agorriz-Melgar (Abelgar).

If anyone has concerns or would like further information, please email

me
on:

Rather than email you on an anonymous Hotmail account, why can't any
doubters simply mail you through your main Ebay id, the one which you
have been using for three years, and for which you have 350 positive
feedbacks?

So if you'd kindly give that, and the date of your next auction, any
doubters can simply send you a contact seller email, through that.
And so possibly assuage at least some of their doubts, at least.

Or am I missing something here?

atb

michael adams

Regards Scott

Old January 21st 04, 02:06 PM
yipwon

Ok - I concede some of your points - but I can assure you that I am not
harvesting emails.
It just that I have a fear of auction interference if I reveal my main id -
I do not wish to cast aspersions on the fine readers of rec.collecting.books
but I am sure there are a lot of people angry at Jose Agorriz-Melgar - I
dont wish to potentially expose myself to that.
Could I just email you at your onetel address?

"yipwon" wrote in message
Hi Michael,

It appears I have unwittingly sullied my grong_grong id with a perceived
connection with Jose Agorriz-Melgar - I don't wish to do that with my

main
id.
Any doubters can still contact me through my hotmail account or my
grong_grong id.

For all anyone can tell:

Wihout wishing to offend anyone who may have already done so:

Anyone who emails an anonymous Hotmail account, in response to your
first posting, is borderline gullible to say the least.

You may well have set up that Hotmail account only yesterday.

By only posting it on here, you can then harvest the email adresses
of borderline gullible readers of rec.collecting.books.

There is no possible reason why you cannot post details of your main
Ebay identity and your next auction on here - given that it's presumably
not book related, and is done for a good reason. It can hardly
constitute Spamming, now can it?

Nether can it possibly sully your reputation among the majority
of your non - book reading clientele. Who presumably don't read
rec.collecting.books.

Or are you claiming that they do ?

michael adams

Old January 21st 04, 02:40 PM
yipwon

If you think it may demonstrate my innocence - my main id is "godstick" - I
sell mainly tribal art.

"yipwon" wrote in message

Ok - I concede some of your points - but I can assure you that I am not
harvesting emails.
It just that I have a fear of auction interference if I reveal
my main id -

I do not wish to cast aspersions on the fine readers of

rec.collecting.books
but I am sure there are a lot of people angry at Jose Agorriz-Melgar -

dont wish to potentially expose myself to that.

But why?

As soon as people see this 100% feeedback you have on your main
Ebay account, thus demonstrating your innocence in all of this, then
why would they want to interfere with your auctions ?

Won't that convince them of your innocence?

If not, then why mention it at all?

Could I just email you at your onetel address?

It won't do you any good, as you'll know if you've already tried.

Or maybe it didn't bounce, who's to know?

And in any case NewsGroups are a public forum, not a dating agency
for would-be conspirators, or anyone else.

michael adams

Old January 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Michael Adams wrote:

Now unless there's an easier way that I'm not aware of, which
wouldn't surprise me, all that's needed now is a reference for
your next auction. Whenever one is due. So that any doubters
can contact you through the ask seller a question option.

Yes, there's an easier way.

1. Click on "Search" from the tab menu at the top of any eBay page. This
takes you to the basic search page:
http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/basicsearch.html

2. Then click on "By Seller". This takes you to the search by seller page
http://pages.ebay.com/search/items/search_seller.html

3. Enter the seller's id. That will take you to the "Items for Sale" page
for that seller, in this case:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
=godstick

4. Click on the seller's name. That will take you to the page listing
feedback and other details for that seller, in this case:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...godstick&item=
-1&frompage=1236&de=off

5. Finally, click on "Contact Member".

--