Ebay Purchase

Old May 11th 05, 09:05 PM
ommadawn

Hmmm, yes-Bradford Room mashed potatoes.
I can still smell them wafting in from *RIGHT*
WT Grant!

Old May 12th 05, 03:03 AM
CAINE

yum yum, I'm having dinner at your house then...

Old May 12th 05, 03:11 AM
Jonny the 8-Tracker!

I'd have to disagree with you as to Lloyd's player quality. I got a
radio/8-track Lloyds player for $3.98 from the thrift store, and aside
from slight cosmetic damage, it was perfect once I realigned the head.
The AM/FM/FM-AFC/FM stereo reception's the best I've ever had, and I'd
trust this player above any else not to eat my tapes. (Even my new GE,
since I haven't had it for that long, good though it looks...certainly
not a dirty Fisher I dismantled recently!) Plus, it's got a great
design. I've got it on a table right beside the computer here to listen
to my favorite carts.

Old May 12th 05, 03:19 AM
CAINE

good luck with the Lloyd's player, Jonny !

Old May 12th 05, 03:22 AM
CAINE

If you got that from me Frank, it would be tuned up, any repairs done,
and in playing condition. Just like the Ventures tapes.

your post says it all- good show !

Old May 12th 05, 08:56 PM
DeserTBoB

On 11 May 2005 19:22:47 -0700, "CAINE"
wrote:

If you got that from me Frank, it would be tuned up, any repairs done,
and in playing condition. snip

By whom? YOU? HAHAHAHAHA! A swipe with Pledge on the cabinet and
spray some electric motor solvent around inside, screw with the
azimuth with your bogus "alignment tapes"...perfectly ****ed for the
poor sucker!
Old May 12th 05, 09:28 PM
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:05:25 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Hmmm, yes-Bradford Room mashed potatoes.
I can still smell them wafting in from *RIGHT*
WT Grant!

OMG! Another "Bradford Room" victim!

While going to college, a roomie of mine was a fry cook at the local
W.T. Grant "Bradford Room," basically a spiffied up version of
K-Mart's junk food café. He used to joke about how many arm pit hairs
were in that day's mashed potatoes! UGHHH.... We'd eat there as a
joke when he was on shift, and get things like hamburgers with
chocolate sauce, pie with pickles, and the like.

Grant's, like "Monkey Wards", couldn't survive against Sears, due to
Sears' propensity to gobble up manufacturers through long term and
exclusivity contracts. Grant's would have to settle for whatever was
left to slap their "Bradford" name on, usually at a much higher unit
cost, since Sears could negotiate much lower costs due to long term
deals with lots of volume that Grant's just didn't have. Oncd they
elminated the competition from Wards and Grant, Sears management got
fat, dumb (and dumber) and lazy, and almost caved in themselves.
Hopefully, the recent combination with a resurgent K-Mart will be able
to kick Wal-Mart's sorry ass.

I still have a 20" box fan from the '60s from Grant's, a rebadged
Lakewood, complete with reversable 3 speeds, air director ring,
and...tada...a thermostat! The US built good stuff back in those
days; now it doesn't build anything at all, even junk. Sad, sad, sad.
Thanks, "Tricky Dickie" Nixon, for opening China for us, who then
stole away all our light manufacturing!

But oh...the smell of those powdered mashed potatoes...complete with
arm pit hair and canned gravy...still makes me quesy all these many
years later!

dB
Old May 12th 05, 09:29 PM
DeserTBoB

On 11 May 2005 19:03:41 -0700, "CAINE"
wrote:

yum yum, I'm having dinner at your house then... snip

Only "dinner" you deserve, Noodles, is a plate of dog turds.

ORDER UP!
Old May 13th 05, 01:05 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

It seems that FDR opened up China way before Nixon did. Remember the
Flying Tigers.

Old May 13th 05, 03:04 PM
William W Western

But oh...the smell of those powdered mashed potatoes...complete with
arm pit hair and canned gravy...still makes me quesy all these many
years later!

The galling part was that at the time when you complained and asked
for mashed potatoes that had been boiled and mashed and topped with gravy
made from a stock that had been simmering since the day before you would
have been considered a hopeless troglodyte. Then you had dinks who claimed
Tang (or any scientific breakthrough masquerading as real food) was tastier
than orange juice (no pulp, you see). Man, a lot of culinary stuff went off
the rails in the 60s. Homemakers had way more time on their hands with
modern appliances and generally less children to tend and someone convinced
them they needed to find a way to avoid wasting 30 minutes boiling potatoes
(want them faster?.......cut them into smaller pieces if you can manage
that). People use to rave about TV Dinners like it was some kind of manna.
Don't get me started.
WWW