Quarter Rolls from the Mint

Old January 26th 04, 11:32 PM
Ace Gezo

Default Quarter Rolls from the Mint

I have been buying a set of State Quarters from the Mint as soon as the new
ones are released. Michigan is due out tomorrow. Is the extra cost of buying
these rolls worth the trouble?

Old January 27th 04, 05:25 AM
Miles Carson

"Ace Gezo" wrote in message ...
I have been buying a set of State Quarters from the Mint as soon as the new
ones are released. Michigan is due out tomorrow. Is the extra cost of buying
these rolls worth the trouble?

You've been doing it right along and you have to ask?

I think the statehoodwink quarter program stands among
the boldest Fed shams of all time, but at least these tokens will
operate vending machines.
Old January 27th 04, 12:52 PM
Jerry Dennis

Are you a wrapper collector or a coin collector?

You'll never have a complete set of State Quarter rolls in mint wraps, since
the first of the mint issued rolls was NH (cue John Lennon... "Turn me on, dead
man. Turn me on, dead man. Turn me on, dead man).

I've been hoarding a roll of each State and mint mark since 1999. I get them
at face value from my bank (the Ps). I ship a few rolls to some
west-of-the-MS-River traders for the D mints. What will I have in 2009 after I
get my HI-Ds? 100 rolls of State Quarters, face value $1,000. What am I going
to do with them? Either build 40 complete sets in Harris albums and sell them
on flea-bay (with appropriate hype), or call Bob Chambers and find out what
he'll offer for them. If that doesn't work, I'll take my main squeeze and
myself on a nice vacation.

To get back to your question, "is the extra cost of buying these rolls worth
the trouble?" I would say, "no," but it's your collection/hoard, and it
depends on what you're collecting/hoarding for.

Jerry

Old January 27th 04, 01:07 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Jerry Dennis wrote:

[...]

I have been, as you know, hoarding the first 41 of each state I get from
commerce. (No roll searching or bank-wraps allowed). I expect these to
do exactly as well as hoards of Bicentennial Quarters. ;-)

As to why: I plan to trade them even up for a Lincoln Key, an 1803 Bust
Half, an MS65+ Gettysburg, a $20 gold piece, a MS Half Cent, a 1916-D, a
three-legged Buffalo, or (note OR , not AND!) an 1875-CC twenty cent
piece. ;-)

Alan
'either that or spend a month at the game room'

Old January 27th 04, 02:10 PM
Ace Gezo

Ok, I see that maybe I have been sucked into the hype. Seems the local banks
in my town always get a short supply of quarters when they are released so
if I don't get to the bank on the day that they recieve their allotment I am
screwed. I just want a roll of each mint mark of all 50 states. Any
suggestions?

Old January 27th 04, 02:58 PM
Jerry Dennis

As have we all. (Been sucked into the hype, that is. Remember Bicentennial
quarters?)

The truth is your local banks are the best place to get quarters. Granted some
don't because they don't need them. Keep in mind banks are in business for
money-related transactions, not for us lowly coin collectors.

I would suggest checking other banks in your area. If that doesn't work, have
a talk with your bank's manager, vault manager, coin-ordering dude/dudette
about ordering more.

Speaking only for myself, my area seems to have a rush for the initial release,
which makes the bank branches limit one-roll-to-a-customer. Then when the
second shipment comes in, you can get as many as you like. I know I'm one of a
few "hoarders" locally that allows the coin ordering guy to order a second
shipment, knowing they'll all "sell out" and the vault won't be over loaded
with coins.

As for getting a roll of each mint mark, get your rolls anyway you can and then
offer to trade roll for roll. I'm a P-guy (I get Philadelphia minted coins)
and trade a few rolls to D-guys/gals (Denver minted coins). With shipping
included, a $10 roll of quarters would cost you about $14 ($10 for the quarters
and $3.95 Priority Mail).

Jerry
Did anybody catch the meaning of the John Lennon reference? :-) Come on,
TIm, you should be able to figure that one out!

Old January 27th 04, 02:59 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Ace Gezo wrote:

Ok, I see that maybe I have been sucked into the hype. Seems the local banks
in my town always get a short supply of quarters when they are released so
if I don't get to the bank on the day that they recieve their allotment I am
screwed. I just want a roll of each mint mark of all 50 states. Any
suggestions?

No offense intended, Ace, but put on your thinking cap for a moment and
seek an objective analysis of the situation.

First of all, you are *entitled* to collect anything you like in any
manner you please for whatever honorable purpose you have in mind. If
100 mint-wrapped rolls of SQ's make you a happy guy, let no one, myself
included, talk you out of it.

That said:
I have seen the 'Issue Date Rush' even here in my small, isolated town.
They descend like Egyptian Vultures on the tellers at the branches, and
clutching $10 bills ask "Do you have the NEW Statehood Quarter Rolls
YET?"

The tellers are largely patient with this five-times-a-year phenomenon.

My 'from circulation' census indicates that SQs are *not* circulating
normally. (Neither did Bicentennial Quarters). Since a detectable
portion of the population seeks to stash these issues as though they
were *valuable*, they guarantee that they will not become valuable. Add
in the hoarders who act as I do, and the number of SQ's removed daily
from the cash-stream is somewhat staggering.

I, however, am conducting a 'catch and release' count. I have no
intention of sitting on these tubes of SQ's for 20 years. I'll be
redeeming 50 rolls about 7 days in advance of a coin show in 2010. ;-)

If you want to be sure you get 40 Uncirculated examples of each mm, your
choices are either to buy them from the mint, or stand in line at the
five-times-a-year seagull convention I see at my bank. ;-) Personally,
I'd keep buying from the mint if I were you. It saves the time and
hassle and any worry of 'missing an issue'. That would probably justify
the mint's markup.

For my own collecting purposes, I'm content to buy a mint set and the
proof sets annually. That's a total of 5 P's, 5 D's and 10 S's. I do
it because I'm a completist. I do it because I update my Kennedy's,
dime, nickel and cent using the Uncirculated Mint Sets. If they offered
them *without* the Statehood Quarters, I would take them. ;-)

The possibility that SQ's will ever be anything but a glut on the market
is remote. The investment potential of saved rolls of them is nearly
zero. What everyone saved, no one wants. ;-)

Alan
'nasty headmaster of the numismatic orphanage'
Old January 27th 04, 03:54 PM
Steve M

If you're already collecting the State Quarters I think they are worth
the extra cost. IMHO these will sell (if left in the rolls) for a
premium over the other "wrapped" rolls once the program ends.

Old January 27th 04, 09:34 PM
frank wight

"Ace Gezo" wrote in message ...
I have been buying a set of State Quarters from the Mint as soon as the new
ones are released. Michigan is due out tomorrow. Is the extra cost of buying
these rolls worth the trouble?

*choke* DON'T PAY A PREMIUM!

I've gone thru 60+ rolls of Missouri and kept 4 rolls

I've gone thru 52 rolls of Arkansas and kept 2 1/2 rolls

Quality control is so bad at the mint that the lions share
of their product is...

Can you imagine the misery I had to go thru--driving all over
my region--trying to get a superior strike, luster and free of
bagmarks? Just awful. But I'm going to do it all over again
for Michigan.

I'll betcha that MS-64 statehood quarters are going to command
a tidy premium in the future because of quality issues.