Akai CR-80T Arrived!

Old November 22nd 07, 02:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

Default DeserTBob going through his yearly holiday depression-again

"still_trackin" wrote
I can align that deck for you, if you want. Where are you located ?-

Last night I took the bottom off and experimented with turning the
flat head screw for head height. Figured if I messed up I could take
it in as I intended anyway, so I gave it a shot. Using my copy of
Exile On Main St. which was playing track 2 with quite a bit of track
3 bleed thru, I turned the screw until only the correct track could be
heard.
This was done on tracks 2 and 3 as suggested.

This tape BTW plays fine on all other decks, so I thought it might be
a good starting point. Played other tapes that I could hear bleed thru
inbetween tracks originally and heard virtually none. Only my EMI copy
of The Beatles Love Songs which is a double tape, had a small amount
when I listened closely. Not bad considering this tape exhibits this
on a couple other decks anyway.

Anyway it seemed to help the problem for the most part. I listened to
the deck for several hours last night and the sound is
excellent....azimuth seems pretty accurate. I have it currently
running thru my Audio Research tube system and actually sounds pretty
decent, plus I like having a tuner to use with that set up. Still plan
on using it in another system as I mentioned before in the future.

Will start looking around for an amp after the holidays. Gotta go
now....helping my other half with Thanksgiving preps! Enjoy your
turkey day!

get yourself an AKAI M8 or ROBERTS 770X tube amped reel to reel, it will
unlock the true magic of that Akai deck

good work on the head alignment

keep in mind, only align your deck with carts that have good pads, or
replace the pads first

my main Roberts 808D (same as Akai 80) deck, I have cut a small square
access hole in the bottom, so I don't have to remove the bottom cover to
adjust tracking/azimuth. If you want, you can then play the deck standing u
p on its side- and adjust tracking for every tape, before playing it.

Old November 22nd 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

"still_trackin" Didn't want to open a can of worms here....I guess it was
a case of
mistaken identity. No prob DB! Wish this group could get back to the
original focus of "fans of the endless loop"....you guys are very
knowledgable on the subject....it's a shame time and space is wasted
on the same old flaming that has become overly repetitive and quite
frankly boring. I for one don't need to be constantly reminded of
another members life/practices. That's not why I view this group.
The reason I joined this group in the first place was that the
other group never responded to any of my posts. Not sure why? Newbie?
Who knows! It was nice to get a quick and informative response to my
posts from you guys, I appreciate that and value the information.
Enjoy your holiday and keep those carts playing!

P.S. I'm looking into having the CR-80T worked on by a qualified tech
in my area....it's a keeper and I don't think I'm up to the job of
head alignment etc.,

you didn't open a can of worms- delusional DeserTBob wigged out on you- the
guy is cracked. All this over a tape he bought 3 years ago, that he
returned for a full refund- he's so amped up over it, he's blaming you,
thinking you are the seller of that tape. You make the call...DeserTBob is
an insane sociopath

Old November 22nd 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:24:22 -0800 (PST), trippin-2-8-track
wrote:

I can align that deck for you, if you want. Where are you located ? snip

Do NOT allow this fraudster/diddler to touch your equipment. He has
no knowledge of electronics or analog tape, and got into the hobby for
the same reason he's getting into 8/S8 film...he thinks he can "corner
the market" and make lots of bucks.

Your local TV repair guy is probably a much better option, but make
sure he's got the main. Akai alignment, to be done right, takes the
proper procedure and an experienced technician. Also, Noodles doesn't
even HAVE a decent alignment tape. Those "copies of copies" he sells
on eBay are all homemade fakes.
Old November 24th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

Default insane Charlie Nudo so delusional, he thinks his criminal past will just disappear

try an M8 or 770X, you won't regret it

ps- DeserTBob and Ricky Suicide are back in the freezer, so just ignore
them-killfile is the remedy

"still_trackin" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 11:14 am, BACK TAXES at BUMLER wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:44:30 -0700, NO BIDS NOODLES

wrote:
look at what he's doing now, he thinks you're a "scamming ebay seller"

snip

No, ****wad...I thought he was you, due to a newsreader malfunction. I
gave my apologies. However, your criminal activities are still there
for all to see. snip

...and here's the recap of SOME of Charlie Nudo's criminal activities
on eBay:

Regarding the "refund," the facts are clear, and the evidence clearly
exists.

1.) After I complained that your tape was a blatant fake, you told me
"these things happen" and to return the fake tape at my cost to your
Drums, PA address. I was smart enough, after being ripped off by you
for a really bad copy of "So Wrong, They're Right" to match the two
addresses and find that both "coolsitesnsounds" and "66fourdoor" were
indeed one and the same fraudster, Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA. I
wisely added Delivery Confirmation to the postage.

2.) Weeks after the tape arrived AT YOUR RESIDENCE, you told me "no
tape, no refund" after I again demanded a refund check. When I
produced the Delivery Confirmation evidence, your story changed
immediately and you sent a personal check (of which I have a scan) for
$40, on which you then threatened in this newsgroup to stop payment.

3.) The sale of this tape was in violation of eBay's stated policies,
in that you wrote me after I lost the auction, saying that you had "a
lot of these tapes around" and that I "could have one for $40." What
a deal! A ripoff, fake copy of a worn out Radio Shack cartridge, of a
not-to-good original, which I later tested and found to be completely
useless for purposes of head alignment on 8 track cart machines.
Selling auction items outside of eBay during an auction is a violation
of eBay Terms of Service, and your account was suspended for awhile
not long after...one of several times.

4.) You also engaged in illegal duplication and sale of copies of
Russ Fortster's mini documentary film, "So Wrong, They're Right," for
which your "coolsitesnsounds" account was terminated on eBay. The
crappy copy I got was dubbed onto a worn out rental VHS cassette from
which you peeled off the labels and stuck your own ridiculous,
typewritten label. The tape was unacceptably full of dropouts and was
of poor quality, due to being done on a machine with worn out heads.

5.) You engaged in illegal copying of Q8 cartridges, for which you
got a warning and another account shutdown.

All of this is well documented to the point of being common public
knowledge, and I have your emails, complete with headers and ID and IP
numbers, to prove your statements.

And so DeserTBob continues this malarchy and nonsense, to this
day, in this NG. snip

And will until you're gone for good.

One can ponder, why didn't DeserTBob just accept his refund, and walk

away
like any other sane person ?? One fella from Arizona offered this

reason-
"DeserTBob is cracked". snip

Another "mouse in your pocket," Noodles? Funny how all your Usenet
"friends" don't seem to last very long, but your enemies abound. If
anyone's "cracked" around here, it's you, as well as your being a
proven petty criminal and thief. That's not a "smear"
campaign...that's the truth. Your other problems, exhibited by your
political and religious insanity, are all over Usenet, should anyone
want to evaluate your mental instability.

Charlie Nudo
Drums, PA
"66-catalina" on eBay
...a fraudster to avoid.

I'm giving the amp/receiver some thought. A guy I know says he has an
integrated Sansui AU-7700 he might want to sell in real nice shape for
about $100.00. I think it's about 80w per channel....might be able to
get him down on the price.
Also know of an old Eico tube integrated/tuner set up that the guy
who owns the TV/Radio repair shop I use has. Nice vintage kit set from
the late 50's, but is only 14w per channel. Would need very sensitive
95db etc., speakers to be able to drive well. Klipsch perhaps?
Might not be as revealing as my ARC tube gear which is probably a
good thing. But the amp might also need to be refurbished to bring it
up to speed, and he might want more than the amp/tuner is worth if
he's willing to part with it at all! I guess he actually built them
back in the day. I'm Still Looking for now.

Old November 24th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:46:11 -0500, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

try an M8 or 770X, you snip

....will wonder, "That Charlie Nudo MUST be delusional! These old
pieces of pot metal are worthless!"

ps- DeserTBob and Ricky Suicide are back in the freezer, so just ignore
them-killfile is the remedy snip

Charlie Nudo is unable to "kill file." He uses Goo Goo's worthless
HTML interface for Goo Goo Groopz, and tries (without a lot of
success) to use Microshaft Outlook to get on his offshore
non-anonymous server...from which he's already been booted twice for
spamming.

Why does Charlie Nudo lie so much? What does he concoct non-existant
stories about what he knows, what he can do, what he possess, all to
impress a very small group in here who almost universally hate him?

Answer: Paranoid delusions, a sign of a serious mental illness.

....not to mention his collecting of Welch's grape jelly jars!

SCRRRRRRRRRRRAPPY DOOOOOOOOOOO! WHERE ARE YOOOOOOOOOU?
Old November 24th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:
[...]

back in the day. I'm Still Looking for now.- Hide quoted text -

As far as tube based reel to reel decks are concerned. My Dad still
has a 1961 Revere T-2200 Stereo recorder. He recently tried it out and
said it still works ok. He's giving it to me when I see him for Xmas.
I remember playing that deck when I was a kid back in the day and the
sound was very good.
BTW.....anyone know what kind of tubes are used in this deck? I
posted a request on another news group about reeltoreel and haven't
got a response yet. My Dad took off the bottom and looked at the
original tubes, but the markings are mostly worn off. I'll only
replace them if I need to. Want to keep the NOS tubes if possible.
When I get the deck I'll try playing both cds and 8 tracks thru
it, using it like a tube buffer stage. It might sound pretty nice. I
think I still have a few 71/2 ips pre-recorded rock tapes laying
around somewhere. Will give those a listen as well. Hope everyone had
a nice holiday! Later
Old November 24th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:20:57 -0800 (PST), still_trackin
wrote:

As far as tube based reel to reel decks are concerned. My Dad still
has a 1961 Revere T-2200 Stereo recorder. He recently tried it out and
said it still works ok. He's giving it to me when I see him for Xmas.
I remember playing that deck when I was a kid back in the day and the
sound was very good.
BTW.....anyone know what kind of tubes are used in this deck? I
posted a request on another news group about reeltoreel and haven't
got a response yet. My Dad took off the bottom and looked at the
original tubes, but the markings are mostly worn off. I'll only
replace them if I need to. Want to keep the NOS tubes if possible. snip

Don't do the usual mistake of "wholesaling" all the tubes...most might
still be working just fine. In consumer grade tube gear, it's usually
capacitors that give 90% of the grief over time. Late '50s-early '60s
US made tubes were quite hardy, if not as esoteric as their European
cousins.

Revere made decent machines back then, if not professional in nature.
Most of 3M's Revere output was to industrial/institutional/educational
markets, but the 4 track reverse stereo format opened up a new market
for them...until the Japanese swooped it away from them in a decade or
so. Inside, you'll fine pretty run-of-the-mill tube types, such as
12AT7s or 12AX7s in the head preamp, with 12AU7 line amps, and the
usual 5Y3 rectifier.

By '61, there was a newer RCA industrial numbered tube (I forget the
number) that was in favor for tape head preamps. It had more voltage
gain than the 12AX7 used in cascode and was thus effectively quieter.
This was important then, as 3M and Ampex were starting to introduce
the first "low noise" tape oxide formulations, and the tape hiss was
lowering enough to get within that magic 10 dB range of the
electronics hiss, at which point white noise power becomes additive. I
can't find my tube manual (old lady went through my library like a
chainsaw recently), but you'll know the ones if you see them. Some
cheaper stereo models also used a 6DJ8 twin triode for tape head
preamps, with space saving and cost economy and little in the way of
performance improvement.

When I get the deck I'll try playing both cds and 8 tracks thru
it, using it like a tube buffer stage. It might sound pretty nice. I
think I still have a few 71/2 ips pre-recorded rock tapes laying
around somewhere. Will give those a listen as well. Hope everyone had
a nice holiday! Later snip

You mean "filter stage." The Revere's line amp will improve nothing,
and simply add distortion products and noise to whatever you feed
through it. "Tube heads" seem to think this is some sort of
improvement, but, strictly by the numbers, it's a degradation. Top
end on the CDs will probably be degraded somewhat as well, although I
don't seem to remember any inter stage transformers in Reveres that
would surely cause this.

Some time ago, there was a big business in wrecking out old Ampex
studio machines, especially the 300s, to get the electronics out of
them for brainless rock idiots to use as "mic preamps." Of course,
this could have been done with a single tube, and most didn't even
have the correct matching transformer in them. Funny how these
baseless fads get started. Now, there are oodles of worn out 300
transports out there with no electronics, and they're going to the
scrappers for the stainless steel and other good metal parts.

NOT that the 300 was a really great machine, to be sure. Many "off
speed" problems with many '50s and '60s recordings, even some major
hits (Tommy James' "Crimson And Clover" and one of Three Dog Night's
hit album cuts) had huge speed/pitch problems when the final edit came
out due to speed variances caused by Ampex 300s in various states of
wear and tear. The 350/351/354, with direct drive capstan, ended a
lot of that and most 300s were in the junk pile or sold to
"downstreamers" later. Later, the Ampex 400C, with its DC variable
speed capstan, ended machine speed problems for all time. Digital
recording HAS no "speed/pitch problems," so now it's an interesting
anecdote from another era.
Old November 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:
[...]

Thanks DB for all the Revere info! Not much available online about
these machines. Since I already have a great tube preamp....Audio
Research SP-11 MK II, it doesn't really make too much sense running
other components thru the Revere and then into the preamp.
When I put together the other system which might be solid state
gear, I might give it a try to see if it gives it a warmer sound. I
know that cd players are available with tubes in the output stage, but
I'm not sure if running a source thru the revere would benefit the
same way.
I will test the T-2200 with a few of the 7.5 Ampex tapes that I
have.....Beatles,Stones,Zep,Tull etc., hard to find these tapes even
on e Bay at reasonable prices. Not sure if paying $25.00+ for other
titles would be worth it. Thanks again for the Revere info and I'll
keep you posted when I get it up and running.
Old November 24th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 06:27:29 -0800 (PST), still_trackin
wrote:

On Nov 23, 11:03 pm, DeserTBoB wrote:

Thanks DB for all the Revere info! Not much available online about
these machines. Since I already have a great tube preamp....Audio
Research SP-11 MK II, it doesn't really make too much sense running
other components thru the Revere and then into the preamp. snip

Correct.

When I put together the other system which might be solid state
gear, I might give it a try to see if it gives it a warmer sound. I
know that cd players are available with tubes in the output stage, but
I'm not sure if running a source thru the revere would benefit the
same way. snip

Remember, that when measured and analyzed, "warmer tube sounds"
actually means debilitated high frequency response, higher even order
harmonic distortion and more noise...nothing more.

I will test the T-2200 with a few of the 7.5 Ampex tapes that I
have.....Beatles,Stones,Zep,Tull etc., hard to find these tapes even
on e Bay at reasonable prices. Not sure if paying $25.00+ for other
titles would be worth it. Thanks again for the Revere info and I'll
keep you posted when I get it up and running. snip

Paying big bucks for 35 year old consumer grade dupes makes no sense
whatsoever, even less than 8 tracks. Remember, most people back in
the tape days did NOT either 1.) routinely degauss their heads, and
2.) if they did, they did it improperly, causing worse magnetization
than was there originally. Thus, most of these tapes, like their
cassette and 8 track cousins, have at least partial erasure problems.

The big collectibles in old consumer RTR tapes are the 2 track
Westminster, Columbia, HIFITape and Omega releases. Most of these
were bought new by true audiophiles back in the days of Berlant
Concertones and were well cared for. Amazingly (and against all
predictions,) these tapes, mostly dubbed on 3M's Scotch 111, still
retain excellent fidelity. The big problem is that 111 is acetate
backed tape, and they're extremely brittle. Usually one play on an
Ampex or other true professional machine will break them into useless
bits.
Old November 27th 07, 08:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
[email protected]

still_trackin wrote:
[ 1961 Revere T-2200 stereo tape deck]
BTW.....anyone know what kind of tubes are used in this deck?

No idea. If you give me a voltmeter I can probably figure out whether
the first couple of numbers are 6 or 12 or what, though.

My Dad took off the bottom and looked at the original tubes, but the
markings are mostly worn off.

It sounds like you have enough tube gear to know this, but usually
there's a little chart somewhere with a line drawing of the chassis and
notes on which tubes go where. Sometimes it's in a fairly obvious spot,
like on the back of the set with the model number and power requirements,
or staring you in the face when you take the back off. But sometimes
it's in a more "creative" spot. All the ones I have ever seen (which
isn't too many) are pasted flat to some part of the cabinet or chassis -
I haven't found any that are rolled up or in an envelope or anything
like that.

DB might be able to say whether your set is way too early or way too
late for this, but I seem to recall that in a certain era, tube markings
switched from a glass etch and/or tough paint to some kind of water-
based ink or dye. The result is that if you're cleaning the dust out
of an old set (unplugged, right?) with a damp rag, it's easy to wipe
the markings right off of the tubes.

I'll only replace them if I need to. Want to keep the NOS tubes if
possible.

Nit: The tubes that are in the set are only NOS if you're selling them
on Ebay. "Original" would be a better description. New Old Stock
tubes would be ones that have sat around unused for lo these many years.

Matt Roberds