Long-term storage of ballpoints

Old March 9th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't
counted recently.

Last count was 98.

Buy two more then, and make it a round number. Good excuse!

LOL!

The last I remembered was that I had 105 fps. Your question made me
realize that I hadn't added several new pens to my inventory - just
a simple list in a Word document. Now, I'm at 104 and wondering
which pen I forgot.

Oh, now you've done it! You'll need to buy another 895 or 896 to
reach a round number now.

ROTFLMHO!

Are you related to Adrian Monk?

Laughs I'm just another pen fiend, who likes making up excuses to feed
the addi^H^H^H^H hobby.

The old stand-by, "It's an investment!" looks like it is coming true,
these days.

--
Alan

Old March 9th 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I like the Space Pen, but I'm not convinced it's better than the
Papermate.

Come to think about it, I like the way Parker bps write a tad better
than the Fisher Space. However, the Fisher is reliable; I can count on
its writing when others won't: defying gravity, on pen-unfriendly
paper, in the cold. That's why it became my favorite, go-to, bp.

The Space Pen is proving to be good for starting in the cold, working in
icy conditions, and writing on all sorts of paper.

Parker refills last so long, they get very loose (good), but loose tends
to mean blobby (bad). The Papermate ones burn out sooner.

Cross bps make good presents for women; they do a range of pearly
metallic colours. I've had two of their fps, and neither was a good
writer.

--
Alan

Old March 10th 09, 06:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I like the Space Pen, but I'm not convinced it's better than the
Papermate.

Come to think about it, I like the way Parker bps write a tad better than
the Fisher Space. However, the Fisher is reliable; I can count on its
writing when others won't: defying gravity, on pen-unfriendly paper, in
the cold. That's why it became my favorite, go-to, bp.

The Space Pen is proving to be good for starting in the cold, working in
icy conditions, and writing on all sorts of paper.

Parker refills last so long, they get very loose (good), but loose tends
to mean blobby (bad). The Papermate ones burn out sooner.

Cross bps make good presents for women; they do a range of pearly metallic
colours. I've had two of their fps, and neither was a good writer.

Interesting. I've never had a Parker blob on me.

What didn't you like about the Cross fps? Are you aware that Cross nibs have
been made by Namiki and Pelikan for the past several years?

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old March 10th 09, 07:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

[...]

That wouldn't apply to me, I'm afraid. My last couple of bunches of pens
were el cheapos for traveling, Petit1 and Platinum Preppy. I figure not much
$ would be lost if forgotten or stolen.

Old March 10th 09, 09:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Jimmy wrote:

I've often wondered if industrial ruby or sapphire could be used in
place of the so-called "iridium" - the problem would be bonding the
tipping material. Hard material; tough to google effectively, too.

In the fifties, when synthetic sapphire was hot stuff, Waterman made a
"Sapphire" BP that used it for the ball. (I think it's one of the last
products the American company made.)

For a FP, it almost seems like you'd have to come up with some clever way to
grow a crystal on the metal!

Brian

Old March 10th 09, 08:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Brian Ketterling"
wrote in message m...
In ,
Jimmy wrote:

I've often wondered if industrial ruby or sapphire could be used in
place of the so-called "iridium" - the problem would be bonding the
tipping material. Hard material; tough to google effectively, too.

In the fifties, when synthetic sapphire was hot stuff, Waterman made a
"Sapphire" BP that used it for the ball. (I think it's one of the
last
products the American company made.)

For a FP, it almost seems like you'd have to come up with some clever
way to
grow a crystal on the metal!

I've got a fairly inexpensive watch with sapphire "glass", so it must be
common now.

Maybe an entire nib could be made out of two narrow triangles of the
stuff, mounted side by side with an ink channel down the middle. It
would not have any springyness or flexing, of course.

--
Alan

Old March 10th 09, 08:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"j.f." wrote in message
In article ,
"Jimmy" wrote:

The old stand-by, "It's an investment!" looks like it is coming true,
these days.

The _only_ "investment" I ever sold for double what I paid was a
Montblanc Marcel Proust fountain pen.

I bought it for list price $750.00 from a Montblanc Boutique Bunny in
Manhattan.

I sold it last year for $1,500.00 so, hey, you never know.

I got three ordinary Sailor 1911s last summer for about 30-35 UKP each.
Late last year, when I got a spare medium one, they were more like 50. I
haven't checked the prices lately. A lot of this is exchange rate
turmoil, of course.

--
Alan

Old March 10th 09, 08:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip
I've had two of their [Cross] fps, and neither was a good writer.

Interesting. I've never had a Parker blob on me.

What didn't you like about the Cross fps? Are you aware that Cross
nibs have been made by Namiki and Pelikan for the past several
years?

The first, which I still have, is an old one from ~1990. It looks OK, is
good quality, but has irritating flow problems, so seldom gets inked.

The second, which I got rid of, was a modern one. There was nothing
wrong with it, but I couldn't get on with the shiny, slippery metal
section.

I didn't know who made their nibs recently.

I'm sure some Cross fps are very good, but not my tiny sample.

--
Alan

Old March 11th 09, 06:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip
I've had two of their [Cross] fps, and neither was a good writer.

Interesting. I've never had a Parker blob on me.

What didn't you like about the Cross fps? Are you aware that Cross nibs
have been made by Namiki and Pelikan for the past several years?

The first, which I still have, is an old one from ~1990. It looks OK, is
good quality, but has irritating flow problems, so seldom gets inked.

The second, which I got rid of, was a modern one. There was nothing wrong
with it, but I couldn't get on with the shiny, slippery metal section.

I didn't know who made their nibs recently.

I'm sure some Cross fps are very good, but not my tiny sample.

I can't speak to the older pen, but that slippery metal section reminds me
of the ATX. Yes, that was an unpleasant surprise especially for those who
had the entire pen that way.

Old March 11th 09, 10:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip
The first, which I still have, is an old one from ~1990. It looks OK,
is good quality, but has irritating flow problems, so seldom gets
inked.

The second, which I got rid of, was a modern one. There was nothing
wrong with it, but I couldn't get on with the shiny, slippery metal
section.

I didn't know who made their nibs recently.

I'm sure some Cross fps are very good, but not my tiny sample.

I can't speak to the older pen, but that slippery metal section
reminds me of the ATX. Yes, that was an unpleasant surprise especially
for those who had the entire pen that way.

Maybe that was what I had; I didn't get a box or papers, so I don't know
the exact model. I wonder what market they were hoping to attract. I
doubt if collectors would be keen on it, and it wasn't good to write
with, IMO.

--
Alan