Long-term storage of ballpoints

Old March 8th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message

How flexible is the nib? :-) That's my biggest complaint on a lot of
modern pens. They don't have a soft or springy enough give to make
writing nice. They all feel like writing with chisels, or at least, most
do.

Although some of my pens have flexible nibs, I don't have the skill to use
them well. Hard-as-nails, glassy smooth nibs can be a lot of fun, though.
I tried a Waterman Carene, and loved it, but not its price-tag.

I've heard you can get springy titanium nibs - have you experimented?

'Scuse me, gentlemen. A point of order:

A springy nib is not the same as a flexible nib and the terms should not be
used interchangeably.

A flexible nib has tines that spread apart and yield a line of variable
width according to how much weight is applied making each person's writing
unique. Most flex nibs are found on vintage pens. The only modern pen with a
flexible nib in the Namiki Falcon. There are others that are semi-flex such
as gold nibs for some Parker Sonnets and Pelikans. A few years ago, however,
Parker started making the gold nibs for the Sonnet stiffer.

A springy nib is one that gives as you write without varying the line width.

Thank you.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old March 8th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't counted
recently.

Last count was 98.

Old March 8th 09, 11:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't
counted recently.

Last count was 98.

Buy two more then, and make it a round number. Good excuse!

Old March 8th 09, 12:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message
'Scuse me, gentlemen. A point of order:

A springy nib is not the same as a flexible nib and the terms should
not be used interchangeably.

A flexible nib has tines that spread apart and yield a line of
variable width according to how much weight is applied making each
person's writing unique. Most flex nibs are found on vintage pens. The
only modern pen with a flexible nib in the Namiki Falcon. There are
others that are semi-flex such as gold nibs for some Parker Sonnets
and Pelikans. A few years ago, however, Parker started making the gold
nibs for the Sonnet stiffer.

A springy nib is one that gives as you write without varying the line
width.

Thank you.

A fair point.

Flexible nibs feel springy, but springy nibs don't have to be flexible.
My Parker Duofold Junior (~1972) has a springy feel, but the line width
doesn't vary much.

Time to fill and use that one again.

According to this article,
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re..._materials.htm
titanium isn't as good as14K gold.

--
Alan

Old March 8th 09, 02:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't counted
recently.

Last count was 98.

Buy two more then, and make it a round number. Good excuse!

LOL!

The last I remembered was that I had 105 fps. Your question made me realize
that I hadn't added several new pens to my inventory - just a simple list in
a Word document. Now, I'm at 104 and wondering which pen I forgot.

Old March 8th 09, 02:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message
[...]

I guess another way to look at it is that flex nibs move laterally while
springy nibs have vertical movement.

I haven't encountered a titanium nib. Most of my pens have stainless steel
nibs or some version of gold.

Old March 8th 09, 08:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't
counted recently.

Last count was 98.

Buy two more then, and make it a round number. Good excuse!

LOL!

The last I remembered was that I had 105 fps. Your question made me
realize that I hadn't added several new pens to my inventory - just a
simple list in a Word document. Now, I'm at 104 and wondering which
pen I forgot.

Oh, now you've done it! You'll need to buy another 895 or 896 to reach a
round number now.

--
Alan

Old March 8th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message
'Scuse me, gentlemen. A point of order:

A springy nib is not the same as a flexible nib and the terms should
not be used interchangeably.

snip
A fair point.

Flexible nibs feel springy, but springy nibs don't have to be
flexible...

snip
According to this article,
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re..._materials.htm
titanium isn't as good as14K gold.

I guess another way to look at it is that flex nibs move laterally
while springy nibs have vertical movement.

I haven't encountered a titanium nib. Most of my pens have stainless
steel nibs or some version of gold.

I've not tried a titanium nib either, but guessed it might be incredibly
springy. According to the quoted article, though, it is easy to deform.

I wonder if anyone has tried beryllium copper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper
It's used for non-ferrous springs, is resistent to wear and corrosion,
and is even an attractive colour. The tiny head springs in good quality
cassette tapes used to be made of BeCu. I suppose the toxic dust might
put nib-makers off.

I've often wondered if industrial ruby or sapphire could be used in
place of the so-called "iridium" - the problem would be bonding the
tipping material. Hard material; tough to google effectively, too.

--
Alan

Old March 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I like the Space Pen, but I'm not convinced it's better than the
Papermate.

Come to think about it, I like the way Parker bps write a tad better than
the Fisher Space. However, the Fisher is reliable; I can count on its
writing when others won't: defying gravity, on pen-unfriendly paper, in the
cold. That's why it became my favorite, go-to, bp.

Old March 9th 09, 04:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't
counted recently.

Last count was 98.

Buy two more then, and make it a round number. Good excuse!

LOL!

The last I remembered was that I had 105 fps. Your question made me
realize that I hadn't added several new pens to my inventory - just a
simple list in a Word document. Now, I'm at 104 and wondering which pen I
forgot.

Oh, now you've done it! You'll need to buy another 895 or 896 to reach a
round number now.

ROTFLMHO!

Are you related to Adrian Monk?