Tech: Rowe/AMI RI-5 (no sound)

Old May 20th 08, 04:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Tech: Rowe/AMI RI-5 (no sound)

Howdy folks,

I'm new to posting over here looking to buy my first jukebox for my
gameroom, I have experience having worked on old SS 80's pinball
machines so I am not afraid to get in there and check or fix things. I
found a guy close to me that is selling this 1982 "Romantica" RI-5
model juke. I have to laugh because if I get it I'll have lots of
nights sitting at home "alone" with my Romantica jukebox. maybe
it will help me get a woman, who knows?

Anyways, here is what I found when I went to look at it, of course
knowing nothing to really be checking for, it turns on, light works, I
saw 3 red lights indicating voltages inside to the left, it was in
continuous mode I guess because it would put a record on and play then
keep moving on to the next record after 1 song, but the problem was
there was only a steady humming coming out of it, I saw two small
speakers up top in front and he said there was another below, I'm
guessing 1-10" subwoofer ? I did put my ear down to the needle and
could hear music, and turned the volume knob some and only had static
and hum out of the speakers. It looks pretty clean around the motor
and carriage for the records, he said it was working last year and
then stored away but it was outside in a barn like shed he did say he
took out the whole motor/carriage assembly and unplugged like 2
connectors on each side and brought it inside so it wouldn't get
damaged during the winter, my only guess now would be that some of the
wires with the metal tab connectors my have some corrosion and not
getting good connections? or could I be looking at some problem with
the amp? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions to look at. I'm
thinking I should get it, but would like to know what I might be up
against. Here are some photos I took: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...AMI%20jukebox/

Thanks,
Joe
Old May 20th 08, 03:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

First thing is go to www.victoryglass.com and buy the set of manuals.
The service manual has an excellent troubleshooting guide in it.
Old May 21st 08, 04:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On May 20, 9:52*am, Ken Layton wrote:
First thing is go towww.victoryglass.comand buy the set of manuals.
The service manual has an excellent troubleshooting guide in it.

thanks Ken, I went ahead and ordered one from victoryglass today, nice
folks, said they would get it out to me tomorrow. I am hoping it will
be something simple to get sound coming out it again. I've got lots of
cleaning, this thing is really dirty!