An English Cartoonist's View

Old June 24th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John Townsend

Default An English Cartoonist's View

"An English cartoonist's view" (or similar words) is how a cartoon is
described, a copy of which appears in William Hartston's book, "Kings of
Chess".

The scene is Paris at the end of December 1843. The English chess player,
Howard Staunton, has just won the decisive game against Pierre St. Amant, in
the famous England v. France international match. St. Amant remains seated
at the table looking sheepish, while the triumphant Staunton stands in a
state of near-collapse from the excitement and has to be supported by his
fellow countrymen, some of whom have their hats in the air and are singing
"God save the Queen".

Does anyone recognize this cartoon, please? Who was the cartoonist? Where
was it published?

I would be so grateful.

Best wishes,

John Townsend,
Howard Staunton Research Project:
http://www.johntownsend.demon.co.uk/...es\Page324.htm

Old June 25th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Dear John Townsend,

It is an honor indeed for this bibliophile to able to assist a bookman
such as you in your research of Howard Staunton.

I don't know where William Hartston found the cartoon; but, it can be
found on the web on the following website, and cited as "drawn from
Les Cahiers de l'Echiquier Français 1933 - 1936."

http://www.chessgraphics.net/cartoon4.htm

As you may already know, there was another drawing of this chess match
(from a French viewpoint), which St. Amant published in his chess
magazine, "La Palamede," and which caused St. Amant a bit of grief.
The drawing and subsequent explanation of St. Amant's troubles can be
viewed in the Chess Notes Archive by linking onto the following
website, and scrolling to "Staunton v Saint Amant 4259:"

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter20.html

I would not be surprised to find that Staunton published the English
cartoon either in his magazine, "The Chess Player's Chronicle," or in
the "Illustrated London News," in which his column on chess appeared
from 1844 until his death.

Hope this helps.

I have a passing interest in Howard Staunton, having at least one of
his chessbooks, and several inexpensive copies of his Shakespeare
books, so please let me know when you complete your research on him.

best,
Jerry Morris
http://displacedbookcollector.com

Old June 25th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John Townsend

Many thanks to Jerry Morris for pointing out that the cartoon appeared in
"Les Cahiers de l'Echiquier Français 1933 - 1936." I shall need to enquire
whether it was obtained from an earlier source and, if so, from where.

Jerry writes: "I would not be surprised to find that Staunton published the
English cartoon either in his magazine, "The Chess Player's Chronicle," or
in the "Illustrated London News" ..."

However, I don't think it appeared in either of the above.

I have tended to assume that the cartoon was more or less contemporary, i.e.
published only shortly after the match (1843), but I suppose this need not
be the case.

Thanks again and best wishes,