College rule?

Old October 2nd 04, 02:40 AM
R. Paul Martin

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:34:47 GMT, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
. com...
Just an idle muse question.

The packages of paper cut and punched for three-ring notebook binders
for school children (and old children like me, gathering cheap scratch
paper in the back to school sales). -- The pages are lined, and one
of the two sizes of lines is labelled as "college ruled." Why is
that? Is ther an assumption that, by the time one hiots college, that
our handwriting will become smaller?

I dunno 'bout the rest of what you posted but, college rule cramps my style
and I've only bought it when desperate which is like, never, after my first
package.

I agree about "college ruled" paper. I used to always get it, and was
glad when I first discovered it, which was either late in high school
or right around when I started college, ironically. I liked that I
could fit a lot more stuff on one page then.

As I've gotten older my eyes have too. I can't see well enough to make
good use of the "college ruled" paper anymore. The space between the
lines is now too small. I also find that it's a bother to try and
write in that small space. So I have a problem writing in it and I
have a problem reading what's written in it. I figure that I do not
need the great savings conferred by getting more lines on a page, and
the wide ruled paper seems to be cheaper anyway. As opposed to my
younger self, I now avoid "college ruled" paper, much the same way as
I avoid fine tips on pens.
Old October 3rd 04, 01:11 AM
Bluesea

"JimL" wrote in message
om...

I never understood this concept of "saving trees." Like any farm
crop, harvest them, plant more.

Therein lies the problem: Not everyone who harvests trees are planting more
to replace those they've cut down. We can stand a certain amount of
non-replenishment, but ecologists say not to the extent that has been going
on. Not only is the land denuded allowing erosion, but also the quality of
air is affected because the leaves which acted as natural air filters are
gone. IIRC, climate is affected also, but I don't remember how that worked.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 3rd 04, 01:42 AM
KCat

"Bluesea" wrote in message

Therein lies the problem: Not everyone who harvests trees are planting

more
to replace those they've cut down.

and those trees don't grow to harvest size in 5 or 10 years. They need
decades. It's rate of harvest vs. rate of regrowth.

my part of the world - there will be no regrowth until we kill ourselves off
and the plants take over again. 's all concrete here.

Old October 3rd 04, 04:47 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

Bluesea wrote:
"JimL" wrote in message
om...

I never understood this concept of "saving trees." Like any farm
crop, harvest them, plant more.

Therein lies the problem: Not everyone who harvests trees are planting more
to replace those they've cut down. We can stand a certain amount of
non-replenishment, but ecologists say not to the extent that has been going
on. Not only is the land denuded allowing erosion, but also the quality of
air is affected because the leaves which acted as natural air filters are
gone. IIRC, climate is affected also, but I don't remember how that worked.

Actually, the pulp wood (used to make paper) producers do plant new
trees. They are typically pine, grown on large farms, and regrow
rapidly. I'm no expert on the relative "greenness" of recycling paper
vs. making new paper from trees, but the harvesting and regrowth of
trees is not the issue. The clear cutting that is not replanted is
usually either land clearing (rain forest countries) or hard woods for
lumber and materials used in fabrication.

Old October 3rd 04, 03:03 PM
PGBarto

http://www.tappi.org/paperu/all_abou...paperClips.htm

Scroll down: yes trees can be planted and harvested

gary
Old October 3rd 04, 06:26 PM
Free Citizen

"KCat" wrote in message
. ..

[SNIP]

and those trees don't grow to harvest size in 5 or 10 years. They need
decades. It's rate of harvest vs. rate of regrowth.

my part of the world - there will be no regrowth until we kill ourselves
off
and the plants take over again. 's all concrete here.

But KCat, in Sweden, they have very successfully harvested trees for
furniture and paper making. I don't know what the turn around planting time
is but I see that the harvesting is mechanised. I wonder if it is all for
IKEA.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen