College rule?

Old October 1st 04, 08:01 AM
JimL

Default College rule?

Just an idle muse question.

The packages of paper cut and punched for three-ring notebook binders
for school children (and old children like me, gathering cheap scratch
paper in the back to school sales). -- The pages are lined, and one
of the two sizes of lines is labelled as "college ruled." Why is
that? Is ther an assumption that, by the time one hiots college, that
our handwriting will become smaller?

I have a shelf of ring binders, with my class notes, one binder per
semester. I don't know why I even took notes, because I ddon't gho
back to them. And I don't know why I still save them all 30 years
later! But it is interesting to go bacck to them occasionally an
notice how my handwriting mutated or evolved over the years. (as well
as my note taking styles). Sometimes larger, sometimes smaller. But
I can't really say that my handwriting got progressively smaller the
farther along I progressed in classes.

Do the manufacturers just assume that college students write smaller
than younger ones? Or that we need more lines per page?

Oh well, nothing significant. Talk amongst yourselves.
Old October 1st 04, 09:50 AM
Free Citizen

"JimL" wrote in message
om...
[...]

JimL,

This is not nothing significant. In fact, I have often wondered if there
ever was a standard for these rulings. I am not sure where you are located
but it could just be that it is assumed that college users would want
economy and have the ability to cramp as many lines of notes as one can on a
single page. In order to do this, users will have to opt for fine point BP,
FP or whatever their preference. For some time, I have gotten used to 18
points of ruled paper. But lately, my preference have leaned towards 20
points. I guess, my writing has become bolder
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

Old October 1st 04, 01:05 PM
john cline ii

"Free Citizen" wrote:

| This is not nothing significant. In fact, I have often wondered if
there
| ever was a standard for these rulings. I am not sure where you are
located
| but it could just be that it is assumed that college users would want
| economy and have the ability to cramp as many lines of notes as one
can on a
| single page. In order to do this, users will have to opt for fine
point BP,
| FP or whatever their preference. For some time, I have gotten used to
18
| points of ruled paper. But lately, my preference have leaned towards
20
| points. I guess, my writing has become bolder

Or, like me, thine eyes hath grown weaker...

john cline ii, who says you could just use orange ink....NAH!

Old October 1st 04, 07:14 PM
Clawhound

JimL wrote:

[...]

You have to call it something.

I think this is a way for parents to see, "Oh, they aren't selling this
paper to my third grader." The paper makers use it to NOT sell paper to
the common, unwashed masses.

CH
Old October 1st 04, 07:34 PM
Bluesea

"JimL" wrote in message
[...]

I dunno 'bout the rest of what you posted but, college rule cramps my style
and I've only bought it when desperate which is like, never, after my first
package.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Nancy Handy

Bluesea wrote:

I dunno 'bout the rest of what you posted but, college rule cramps my style
and I've only bought it when desperate which is like, never, after my first
package.

I don't like the school brand papers sold, but when I was in school I
preferred the college ruled paper because I could squeeze more notes
onto each page.

Theses days I prefer Komtrack, Circa, and Clairfontaine notebook papers.
Komtrack is a luxury paper, it's the thickest.
I like the Circa system and the big empty margin space and I adore my
leather Circa notebooks, which I got at a bargain basement price of $22
during the recent sale.
Clairfontaine is slick and like a slightly cheaper thinner version
Komtrack, but I like their French-ruled paper that you can write on
lengthwise or widthwise even though it is not actually a grid. I think
the Clairfontaine has a pinkish cast to the paper, at least the
French-ruled seems to.

Of those, Circa seems to be college-ruled one and the others fall in
between the big baby ruled and college ruled.

Today I am writing two snail mails on my Amalfi Amalfitana paper and I
hope those people realize how privileged they are to receive it! LOL
For such decadently expensive paper, it's not as welcoming to fountain
pens as one would think. On that, I used a felt tip MB Scenium pen and
it was just right. I enjoyed using that thin pen. I write better with
thin pens than those thick pens (fountain pens or others) that you guys
all seem to like.

Nancy
Old October 1st 04, 09:26 PM
KCat

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
Theses days I prefer Komtrack, Circa, and Clairfontaine notebook papers.
Komtrack is a luxury paper, it's the thickest.
I like the Circa system and the big empty margin space and I adore my
leather Circa notebooks, which I got at a bargain basement price of $22
during the recent sale.

we think alike - though I want to get the punch and use my own paper - at
times i'm finding that even Levenger paper can be a bit too slick...

But I got the slate blue Junior for $17 (with S&H, $23) - can't beat that
with a stick! All these years of wanting one but never feeling I could
justify the cost. Now it goes everywhere with me at home and out. Have to
ask for the punch for Christmas.. :P

Old October 2nd 04, 12:35 AM
Bluesea

Bluesea wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that women prefer thinner instruments because their hands are
smaller.

As for correspondence paper, I'm stuck on Crane. But, that's way too
expensive for drafts and the binder paper that I get for $1.93 for 200
sheets or free w/ purchase is the most I'm willing to pay for paper that I
use and discard although I do keep a yellow mini-legal pad with a few index
cards in a mini-portfolio, rarely a steno pad, in the car for on-the-fly
observances.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 2nd 04, 02:39 AM
JimL

"Bluesea" wrote in message
I dunno 'bout the rest of what you posted but, college rule cramps my style
and I've only bought it when desperate which is like, never, after my first
package.

How I got to observing this difference is -- legal pads are so
expensive just for "junk" drafts and notes. I found a nice acrylic
clipboard with a flat wire clip, and then I stock up on school
children's notebook paper during the summer back to school sales.
Heck, 19 cents a 150 sheet pack, can't beat that. I buy a dozen packs
a year. (plus one or two cases of medium and high quality paper for
the computer printer).

With the lines, for my rough and fast writing, I often use every other
line even with the regular spacing. The smaller spacing caused a
mini-dillemma: every third, or alternat two, three, two, three.

Another advantage of the notebook paper -- I use them in sketching out
my lecture notes / outlines, and they are already punched to go into
my (coincidentaally) notebook that holds my lecture notes. What a
coincidence!

Of course, my next quandary, and irritating factor: Why are these
sheets smaller than the 8.5 x 11 inch standard on all other paper?

Somme day the world is going to revolve around me -- and I am
already making my list.