College rule?

Old October 5th 04, 01:09 AM
David

On 2004-10-04 16:33:23 -0700, (JimL) said:

Now there's a double solution! Transform those "Christmas" tree
farms into sources for paper! Talk about wasting natures resources,
those "Christmas" trees are chopped down and allowed to dies in three
weeks, then get tossed out. I always hated seeing all those pagan
Druid symbols (evergreen trees) being mistakenly used as a Christian
symbol. I have always refused to have one in my home (except in the
form of fine paper or wooden pencils).

Very good point. (Though it's no mistake - rather than try to stamp out
deep-rooted traditions, (no fun intended), the church just pretended
that earlier symbols and rituals were its own.) A very subtle, almost
Orwellian, means of pseudo-genocide - if you're not a Christian and
you're being invaded by missionaries. Who all have wooden pencils and
nice paper. :-)

David

Old October 5th 04, 02:43 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

JimL wrote:
Now there's a double solution! Transform those "Christmas" tree
farms into sources for paper! Talk about wasting natures resources,
those "Christmas" trees are chopped down and allowed to dies in three
weeks, then get tossed out. I always hated seeing all those pagan
Druid symbols (evergreen trees) being mistakenly used as a Christian
symbol. I have always refused to have one in my home (except in the
form of fine paper or wooden pencils).

(How's that for a screeching left turn off topic, and then back on in
the last line?)

In the deep South, they came up with a use for those Christmas trees
after the season. Just tie a weight to the bottom and throw it in the
nearest bass pond. It gives great shelter for eggs and hatchlings, so
the cannabilistic ole' largemouth can't eat them. I suppose it would
work in the North, but the culprits are probably pike or some other
sufficiently Northern fish.

Old October 5th 04, 11:46 AM
so what

(How's that for a screeching left turn off topic, and then back on in
the last line?)

So, where ya going for Christmas vacation?
Old October 6th 04, 09:18 AM
Free Citizen

"Urban Fredriksson" wrote in message
In article ,

[snip]

In the south of Sweden spruce can be cut down when it's
60-70 years old. More in the middle and north (90+), a
little less in the far south.

If it's a forest and supposed to remain a forest/fir or
spruce plantation, you basically have to replant as much
as you've cut down.

I wonder if it is all for IKEA.

Hardly. I think paper and pulp is a much larger than wood
and of wood for construction I'm sure houses is a larger
proportion than furniture. Besides, lots of IKEA's
products aren't made in Sweden.

Paper is very cheap in Sweden compared with many other
places.
--
Urban Fredriksson
Favourite pens and inks: http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/writing/

Hi Urban, is it possible there are tree farms in Sweden that you don't know
about? Or did I get Sweden mixed up with some other Scandinavian country.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

Old October 7th 04, 07:56 AM
Urban Fredriksson

In article ,
Free Citizen wrote:

Hi Urban, is it possible there are tree farms in Sweden that you don't know
about?

I think your description of what's going on in the Swedish
forests was spot on. Mechanised harvesting, almost no spot
in the country where a road is more than 5 km away (except
from the mountains where trees don't grow) as almost 50%
of the roads are private with no public funding (= mostly
built to support the forestry industry).

Or did I get Sweden mixed up with some other Scandinavian country.

Danish Christmas tree plantations look a bit more like
farms as they don't allow them to grow very high and they
often only do Christmas trees. We have the same here, but
mostly as a part of the whole business. (One smart idea is
that when you've cleared an area of trees and planned
where you want your roads, you prepare the road and plant
spruce there, and a decade or so later when you need the
road, you clear it and sell them as Christmas trees.)
--
Urban Fredriksson http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
To get rid of an enemy, make him a friend.
Old October 7th 04, 08:39 AM
Free Citizen

Free Citizen wrote:

[...]

So, my memory has not failed me. BTW, that's is a very nice Fällkniven F1.
Is that the toughest tool steel in the world? What is the best price you can
get for it including the sheath?